PDA

View Full Version : 3.5E Character Sheet Skill point assignment

Daeghrefn
June 20th, 2011, 21:09
Greetings,

I'll preface by saying I'm not an expert with LUA or XML, but I understand the concepts and have a pretty good C++ background.

Intent:
Set up cross-class skills to use one skill point per rank, instead of 2 skill points per rank. I want the caps to remain normal (level + 3 for class, and half that rounded down for class)

I think I'm in the right spot, but my modifications to the charsheet_skillranks.lua file isn't having quite the expected result. I am not sure, but based on my (probably wrong) understanding, the "value" should be the value entered into the skill from the keyboard.

I've changed most of the math, but for some reason, if I enter "1" it still comes out as ".5". Is there another place I need to look where I can change that? Do I need to find the defenition of the halfranknode where the ranks might be originally calculated?

I am aware that I'm shooting blind, and I'm not looking for someone to "fix it" for me necessarily, but to point me in the right direction so I can learn.

Thanks in advance!

Moon Wizard
June 21st, 2011, 00:48
Daeghrefn,

The skills sheet in the current 3.5E ruleset is fairly complex, since it is attempting to track points by class, and whether cross-class skills are in effect depending on which class is "active".

While I can definitely help answer questions about what it is doing, the changes I am making to the 3.5E ruleset will remove a lot of the complexity on that page of the character sheet. Basically, the character sheet will no longer track cross-class skills and assignments. You just enter the ranks you have in the skill (whether full or half ranks).

Cheers,
JPG

Daeghrefn
June 21st, 2011, 03:20
Fascinating. I hate to be the guy who asks, but do you know how soon that modification will be? For the time being, I can simply "cheat" the system, as I have done in the past, but knowing when the new release will be would be helpful.

And thanks for your prompt reply.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2011, 18:25
The answer I've been giving on other posts is that I plan to have v2.8 released by August.

The reality depends on how well testing goes. Since we're a small company, we have to rely on the community to help us test. Testing has been going fairly well, so I am optimistic.

Regards,
JPG