PDA

View Full Version : Games in English run by non-native speakers - your experience?

DarkStar
June 16th, 2011, 12:17
Disclaimer up front - I am one of those that would fit the question posted in this post's title.

Roleplaying (aside from roll playing) is all about content - the descriptions, dialog and so on. Being a non-native speaker surely can lessen the impact that GM's words have on players - when I find myself at loss of words, don't know a proper idiom and generally am simplifying things because I can't express them at a level at which I could do it in my native language.

I'm interested in what your experiences have been when playing in campaigns run by non-native speakers? Especially when we consider the language barrier. I know that there are people in FG community from all over the world (though I guess the majority are English speaking), but being a player is one thing and being the GM is another.

Valarian
June 17th, 2011, 06:34
I've generally had very positive experiences. I've played in games run by a German and a Finn, both of whom had a very high understanding of English. Yes, there were grammatic or idiomatic errors, but their English was good enough to get the message across ... and I certainly can't say that my German or Finnish would be able to do the same :)

Fenloh
June 17th, 2011, 10:56
I would enjoy a session with some english speaking players. I am a german myself.

In most cases that i had been playing with Americans i had a lot of fun and i think they did too... i just that the laughter was not bout my lack of english hehe.

@offtopic
r u by chance talking bout Coldan and Morgia?

Fenloh