PDA

View Full Version : NPCs targeting PCs

Carlos Luzzi
June 14th, 2011, 16:00
Iīm sure someone might have asked it before. But how to make monsters or NPCs target PCs?

We have no problem making the PCs target monsters until now. Iīm sure itīs pretty simple, but somehow I managed not to figure it out so far!

ThankS!

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 16:12
it depends on which ruleset you are talking about, as this feature is ruleset specific -some rulesets have no targeting at all.

However, as you are saying the pcs can target then I assume the ruleset will also allow this for monsters.

Carlos Luzzi
June 14th, 2011, 16:15
Itīs the 4E rule set.

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 16:15
now that I see the post is in 4E and not in the tavern as I thought!

the GM should be able to drop his monster rolls onto the relevant token or onto the combat tracker entry. There should also be a targeting button that he can drag onto a token to enable it as a target and let him double click attack from the combat tracker.

Griogre
June 14th, 2011, 18:08
In the 4E ruleset you may also target PCs in area, burst and blast attacks by hold down Shift and clicking on the tokens in the area of the attack on the map as well.

Carlos Luzzi
June 15th, 2011, 05:11
Absolutely simple. I just experimented a little bit with the Combat Tracker, and now I totally understood it. Amazing... it might speed up combat a great deal!

Other Questions:
- Is there a way to automatically deal "full damage" on a critical hit?
- Is there a way to automatically apply effects after an effect Power hits someone?
- I notice I can manually add new powers on the "attack" line at the Combat Tracker on a PC, Itīs fantastic! I tried to drag it form their Sheets. Is there a way to do it?
- Can one PC control the actions of another PC using the combat tracker? It happens because every time someone misses the session.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! FG2 is awesome!

GMTroll
June 15th, 2011, 16:31
In answer to your questions:

1 - hold down SHIFT when rolling damage for max damage. This will also roll any additional damage dice for magic weapons. For more on Action Modifiers see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide4E/ref_actionmod.xcp

2 - Effects cannot be automatically applied based on the attack roll. Depending on how the PC / NPC powers are setup you should be able to double click to apply an effect on the select targets

3 - Not sure I understand the question

4 - One player can control many characters. Each character in FG is assigned an owner when a player selects that character to play. The Character Selection pane only shows characters that a player owns or are currently not owned. If someone else is going to take control of a character that has is owned by another player the DM will need to release the ownership of that character. Do this by opening the Character Selection pane then right clicking on the character and select the 'Clear Owner' option. Another player can take control of that character by opening the Character Selection pane and clicking on the character. Don't forget to do this again at the end of the session so that the next time missing player is available to they can take ownership of their character again.

Carlos Luzzi
June 15th, 2011, 17:58
Thank s LOT for this. Itīs great! Thaaanks!

What I meant in question 3 was: At the Attack line of Player Characters at the Combat Tracker, as a DM I canīt see itīs available powers as I see in the NPCs for example. I can double click any NPC attack directly at the combat tracker. I guess thatīs how itīs supposed to work, after all. But, as a DM I canīt see Players attacks available in that line at the Combat Tracker. I wander if players can see it, so they can directly attack using the Combat Tracker; instead of necessarily open the Power tab at the Record Sheet. It would be fantastic, because it would save a lot of time switching form one thing to the next. I also noticed that I can manually add powers in PCs “attack Line" located at the Combat Tracker while I was testing it. The "attacks disappear from the combat tracker, when I clear the PCs. Other thing is that I can’t drag the powers from the record sheet, what would be nice. And it would be much nicer if the attacks stayed at the Combat Tracker. Anyway, I donīt know if they (the Players) have access to this. If they do, itīs great, I wonīt need it anyway, except when I am controlling one PC for one reason or another.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 00:15
Carlos,

There are a number of reasons that PC attacks are not shown on the character sheet:

* PC attacks are much more dynamic (more rolls, weapon/implement choices, etc.), while NPC attacks are static.

* The CT attack lines are static, which means they don't get changed when the NPC or PC sheets are updated. (i.e. no changes when PC levels or gets gear) This works great for NPCs, but not so well for PCs.

When I need to control a PC in my own game, I just open up their mini sheet and keep the top portion just above the map, so I can grab it easily if I need it.

Regards,
JPG

Carlos Luzzi
June 16th, 2011, 04:19
Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense indeed. You sugestion seems to be pretty reasonable, Iīll try doing it this way.

Thanks a lot!