PDA

View Full Version : Tip for Permanent "Handouts" (per session)

Netjera
June 13th, 2011, 21:06
You guys have probably already figured this out, but just in case you hadn't, or in case nobody had posted about it, I thought I'd mention it because it's so neat.

I was playing around with sharing information sheets, because I like to make handouts and give them to my players. I was disappointed that I cant share an item with a player, and have it remain available to them, after I close the window. However, I figured for their convenience, I'd just minimize windows so they'd have access to anything necessary for the whole session.

In the process of making handouts, I made a handout with a link to another handout. I didn't know if the link would work for the player, or if I'd also have to share that sheet as well, so I decided to test it using a local character I'd made. I shared the first sheet with her, and then switched windows and clicked the link from the open sheet. It opened the sheet without my having to send it.

A great side-effect of this, is that when I closed the original sheet from the DM window, it did NOT close the sheet I'd opened via the link! That handout is still on the player desktop, minimized, for indefinite use during the session, without also cluttering up my own.

What I'm going to do is make a handout that's an index of all my handouts for the players. Share that handout with them, allowing them to open any handouts they want. Then, when I close the original handout, they should retain any of the linked handouts on their desktop, without cluttering up mine. :D

EDIT: I was running 3.5E so I don't know if this would be rule-specific, or work for everyone.

Nestor
June 14th, 2011, 00:43
going to look into this for 4e, this may solve a similar problem i was trying to fix

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2011, 02:18
After you initially share and close the window, the players should be able to access the campaign story and item entries via the sidebar. (in v2.8)

Cheers,
JPG

Netjera
June 14th, 2011, 02:38
So once 2.8 comes out, the workaround won't be necessary? Great, thanks. :)

Netjera
June 15th, 2011, 00:53
Oh, another thing I noticed - if I share an item from the link, instead of from inside the sheet, it never opens for me. Therefore, there's no closing it and having it removed from the player's window.

However, my original tip of sharing a sheet of links, provides them with windows they can close. Whereas sharing from inside the sheet, or by direct link provides them with a window that can only be minimized.