PDA

View Full Version : Sovereign Stone

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 19:17
I have adjusted the 3.5 Rules.mod client to add the new races and classes and feats and skills.

But kept the original document name..

When I load Fantasy Grounds II .. it does not show the adjusted Rule book for browsing the classes/races etc.

But if I swa it back to the original games version it shows it.

Do I have to adjust anotehr file somewhere ?

Sorcerer
June 13th, 2011, 19:38
if everything has been completed correctly, and you don't have both copies in the module directory at the same time, then it should work. No other files need to be adjusted.

if the modules shows up in the module activation but not in the library, it is most likely because there is an error somewhere in the xml - most likely a tag which is not properly closed.

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 19:40
Only the original 3.5 rules show up in the module library .. the new adjusted ones dont

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 19:45
Also im not exactly sure I have done it all correctly..

For the races and clases I just filled in over existing races/classes.

But for the skills and Feats.. I copied an existing one and then filled it in.

Sorcerer
June 13th, 2011, 19:50
when you made the mod file did you use a zip program to compress it?

modules must be made in standard zip format .rar and zip7 files will not be recognized when renamed.

also if you zipped up the files, make sure that the zip program did not create a folder inside the zip (some do this by default). the files (definition.xml and client.xml) must be in the zip files root without a folder.
also make sure you did add the definition file, because without this FG does not know which ruleset the module is for

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 19:52
I selected client, thumbnailand definition files and right clicked and used winrar to add them to a .rar file.. I then changed the .rar to .mod (as explained in how to add spells tutorial)

Sorcerer
June 13th, 2011, 19:57
rar files will not be recognized by FG.

when you right click, instead of selecting add to xyz.rar
select add to archive, then select archive format zip, and press ok

then rename the zip to amod.

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 20:02
ok,

The file now shows in the module activation.. and when I open it it does not show in the library.

Sorcerer
June 13th, 2011, 20:08
then unfortunately that means you have some xml coding errors.

it will not be fun to search through as it only takes one misplaced < or / to stop it loading to the library.

I have cursed at FG many times whilst searching for the source of the error.

Draeus
June 13th, 2011, 20:15
lol.. ok this may take some time to see where i have accidently deleted a piece of code. Thanks iwill work on this after todays game..

drahkar
June 13th, 2011, 22:51
Also check that you changed the name inside of the definition.xml and the common/client/db.xml files. Otherwise you could be running into conflicts between it and the original rules module.

Griogre
June 14th, 2011, 20:41
You can load the XML file in IE and it will show where you have syntax errors. It should also work in later versions of most other browsers as well.

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 21:29
I have opened the file in IE and this is the error i get .. which is odd it is mixing 3 lines of code as you can see from example pasted below. When I view these codes they are perfectly normal.

Error Message given by IE
The XML page cannot be displayed

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Users/Draeus/Desktop/ss-rules/client.xml'...

<p><b>Weapon and Armor Proficiency:</b>A stalker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons...
ss="m"><td>+4</td>
<td colspan="3">Wild shape (1/day)</td>
</tr>

The code as they appear in my XML editor:
<tr><td>5th</td><td colspan="2">+3</td><td>+4</td><td>+1</td><td>+4</td><td colspan="3">Wild shape (1/day)</td></tr>

<p><b>Weapon and Armor Proficiency:</b>A stalker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light & medium armour and shields.</p>

the first line of code is an existing column code from the druid class Saves etc. Which I used as a template for the Sovereign Stone Stalker Class. So far only added the first 2 levels.

The second line of code is the armour and weapon prof. I cant see anythign wrong with them.

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 21:32
Also check that you changed the name inside of the definition.xml and the common/client/db.xml files. Otherwise you could be running into conflicts between it and the original rules module.

I have not bothered to use a different module name I am using the existing one. I put a copy of the original in a folder so that I can swap it out if i ever needed to use the original 3.5 rules module.

I did this to avoid any mistakes when changing def files etc.

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 21:41
I don't know if this is your error within FG or merely within IE - but the ampersand character is reserved and has special meanings within html and xml, usually when I code it i use &amp; which tells the decoder that you really mean to use the literal ampersand.

I have my doubts as to this being the source of the FG error, as I have several modules where character is used (within body text - <p></p> without problems), but it could be that IE does not like it. Try changing and see if IE throws up a different error.

white space is a bit too cryptic for me..

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 21:45
I don't know if this is your error within FG or merely within IE - but the ampersand character is reserved and has special meanings within html and xml, usually when I code it i use &amp; which tells the decoder that you really mean to use the literal ampersand.

I have my doubts as to this being the source of the FG error, as I have several modules where character is used (within body text - <p></p> without problems), but it could be that IE does not like it. Try changing and see if IE throws up a different error.

white space is a bit too cryptic for me..

Hmm .. why would it choose just these lines out of the whole document of code using the ampersand?

The lines i pasted are just 2 lines of code from the 3.5_rules.mod file

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 21:53
if they are the first instances of the ampesand then it stopped processing there.

If not, then you are right and this is not the problem...

its talking about white space, is there any "white space" around this code?

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 21:55
how about you pass the original client.xml into IE and see if it gives the same error.

If it does you are wasting your time...

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 21:55
if they are the first instances of the ampesand then it stopped processing there.

If not, then you are right and this is not the problem...

its talking about white space, is there any "white space" around this code?

This was the area I was puzzuled with also, as it appears to be water tight .. .no white space. Which is odd indeed.

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 21:58
how about you pass the original client.xml into IE and see if it gives the same error.

If it does you are wasting your time...

Great idea..

K, opened the original . .and all is fine. let me compare these lines and see what is different between them

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 22:04
ok I have copied the ines of code so they are side by side and cannot see for looking anything wrong with my version.

Pasted here for your viewing:

My version:
<tr><td>5th</td><td colspan="2">+3</td><td>+4</td><td>+1</td><td>+4</td><td colspan="3">Wild shape (1/day)</td></tr>

Original:

My Version:
<p><b>Weapon and Armor Proficiency:</b>A stalker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light & medium armour and shields.</p>

original:
<p><b>Weapon and Armor Proficiency:</b> Druids are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw, bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below).</p>

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 22:09
on a different train of thought .. I have added new skills and feats.

for example:
<literacy>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceskill</class>
<recordname>[email protected] Basic Rules</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Literacy</name>
</literacy>

I have added amongst the skill list.. further down i copied the bluff skill and swapped out anything saying bluff to literacy and then changed any standard display text to hat i need to be displayed.

Am I supposed to ackowledge this code in any other file?

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 22:10
ahh it appears i have changed the appraise skill not bluff..

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 22:16
<literacy>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>referenceskill</class>
<recordname>[email protected] Basic Rules</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Literacy</name>
</literacy>

ok I have changed all skills and feats so that the code looks like this.
Thinking this silly overlook would solve my problems .. I loaded it into my module folder and it still doesnt work.

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 22:19
well there is certainly nothing wrong with the 2 lines IE was complaining about

no need to acknowledge anything in any other file, and even if the reference does not exist, as long as the html is OK it should still load (and then give errors/problems later when you click on the link and the file it needs does not exist)

Draeus
June 14th, 2011, 22:24
Webpage error details
Timestamp: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 21:09:14 UTC

Line: 331
Char: 116
Code: 0
URI: file:///C:/Users/Draeus/Desktop/ss-rules/client.xml

<p><b>Weapon and Armor Proficiency:</b>A stalker is proficient with all simple and martial weapons...
ss="m"><td>+4</td>
<td colspan="3">Wild shape (1/day)</td>
</tr>

going back to the original problem it was throwing at me, it appears that this piece of code is all blue:

Then this piece is black and does not actually appear in the pasted code in previous post:
ss="m">

I have also done a fast find on this group of characters : ss="m"> in the actual client file i am working on and it does not appear?

Sorcerer
June 14th, 2011, 22:30
these entires are part of a table, how does the rest of it look?

Trenloe
June 15th, 2011, 05:23
ss="m">

I have also done a fast find on this group of characters : ss="m"> in the actual client file i am working on and it does not appear?

And seeing this error you reported in a previous post:

Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet

So, I'm thinking that there could be some reference to a XSL stylesheet somewhere in your XML.

I may be way off, but...

"ss" is used in Microsoft Excel XML Spreadsheet Schema. Has the XML file you're referring to (clinet.xml) ever been modified in Excel or some of the data taken from XML? The XSL style sheet error above suggests that IE is trying to use a stylesheet from somewhere to process the XML data to create the resulting HTML presented in the browser???

Do a search of your XML for stylesheet or xslt and see if there are any references.

If I'm way off, sorry for introducing a red herring, but the above is my understanding of XML, XSL and HTML in general - not as it pertains to FG.

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2011, 08:41
In general, I find IE to be a very poor viewer of XML unless it is already very clean XML.

I use Notepad++ with the XML Tools plugin. It's free, and it's way better than using IE to troubleshoot your XML.

Also, try avoiding the use of the ampersand in your descriptions at all. Replace with "and".

Regards,
JPG

Sorcerer
June 15th, 2011, 11:50
I concur that notepad++ is a much better xml editor than IE (its what I use),
but what it is not able to do is to check the code for "wellformedness".
If you do have an error in there it is a manual process to find it, although soem of the features such as coloured tags and nested tags can help you to track errors down in a way a standard text editor cannot.

there are some free programs that will check code for wellformedness", but the ones I have seen, involve you copying and pasting your code into a field in a website.
I am reluctant to do that as I have some worry about what else they might be doing with what I type in. I thus relay on - not making mistakes (i.e. checking the code in FG often, and error checking manualy if it fails to load.

checking in FG after every section, at least limits the scope of your error search to that section and not the whole document.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 00:28
One of the plugins that I use for Notepad++ checks well-formedness of XML. It's helped me quite a bit in my ruleset development. I think it's the XML Tools plugin, but not sure since I have a few installed.

Regards,
JPG