PDA

View Full Version : Powers

viresanimi
June 8th, 2011, 16:17
Greetings all.

I am new to 4th edition and been reading up on it. I really wasn't too keen on this editioin, but seeing the options that melee classes have in 4th edition, compare to 3.5 and Pathfinder, I thought it would be a great move.

However, I am also one to create my own powers, rituals, and whacky rules and this has presented me with one problem so far:

How do I create a power in 4th edition and be able to share it between characters / export it. I really don't want to create something and then whenever a player needs in on a character sheet, I'd have to type in all the data, yet again. Seems like a waste.

Can anyone help me here?

Vires Animi

Zeus
June 8th, 2011, 16:40
As you have said you can create the Powers manually, directly on each PC's charactersheet, however you would be unable to share these entries easily with other campaigns/players.

The Library function of the 4E ruleset was set up to allow you to reference data including powers from modules that can represent the various rulebooks and supplements for 4E.

Unfortunately (at present) its not possible to enter data into a Library reference module using the FGII interface, instead you have to either use a community developed tool called the 4E Parser or manually compile your own XML and data to define the module.

If you have a DDI account and subscription, you can use the 4E Parser tool to 'scrape' (copy) the Powers data from any of the online available rulebooks contained in WotC DDI Compendium database and 'parse' (transform) the data into useable FGII library modules.

Once you have the modules built you can then use the Library to reference the powers required for your various games etc. etc.

You can find the Parser tool here (https://tenian.eugenez.net/Parser), the install contains all the necessary readme information. You can also find a quick guide to using it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=84732&postcount=8).

Griogre
June 9th, 2011, 07:03
It should be mentioned that the 4E ruleset itself has a parser. This means, if you use a style *identical* to the way powers are normally written you can copy and past the text into the power's description on the character sheet and tell the power to "rebuild" and the ruleset will make the power for you.