PDA

View Full Version : Where do I put converted fonts?

Netjera
June 8th, 2011, 13:59
Okay, I've searched and searched, but can't seem to find an answer to this question. If I use the Font Converter from the downloads page to create a Fantasy Grounds font, where do I put the converted font so Fantasy Grounds will see it?

Also, once it's in, how do I specify it?

I'm writing up a module, and would like to use a different font for stat blocks, than the one currently provided. (Btw, ARE there any different fonts? I've only ever used the one.)

Thanks!

Zeus
June 8th, 2011, 18:04
The fonts FGII uses are defined in the ruleset XML files. Which ruleset are you using?

As an example, in the 4E ruleset you can reference the fonts that are being used by taking a look at the file graphics_fonts.xml in the root folder of the ruleset and locating the corresponding entry for the fontname tag.

e.g. the entry named statblock-r-med defines the regular medium sized font that will be used for reference statblock (Powers) text.

<font name="statblock-r-med">
<fgffile name="graphics/fonts/dnd4e-regular-9.fgf" />
<color value="#000000" />
</font>
The actual .fgf files for the fonts for 4E are also located in the ruleset under the folder graphics/fonts.

Therefore to change the fonts used will require identifying the corresponding font entry that is used by the ruleset's windowclass and control definitions for the area of the ruleset font display you want to change. For 4E this is made easier by the good use of comments.

For the 4E statblock text, the font entries all start with statblock_ followed by the style (r=regular, i=italic, b=bold, bi=bold italic), followed by the size (small, med, large).

Hope that helps.

Netjera
June 8th, 2011, 19:05
Hmm.. most of that went over my head. :( Probably because I'm using 3.5E. I'm not using anything that predefines a stat block. I'm simply typing the statblock in as part of the body text, but just as I'd use bold or italic on certain areas of the text to make it more readable, I'd like to change the font for some things that I'd like to "define" as statblocks.

(I'm not sure if I'm wording this right. Sorry!)

Doswelk
June 8th, 2011, 19:16
To my knowledge you cannot use a specific font in a module and have it display in FGII.

You would need to create an extension using XML and replace one of the existing fonts with the font you want to use.

For example you create the Font to replace all Headers in your ruleset so all headers are displayed in the new font.

Netjera
June 8th, 2011, 19:22
To my knowledge you cannot use a specific font in a module and have it display in FGII.

You would need to create an extension using XML and replace one of the existing fonts with the font you want to use.

For example you create the Font to replace all Headers in your ruleset so all headers are displayed in the new font.

Aww. If I was going to do that, I might as well just create a new stat block object entirely and link it into the FG menu as another option along with chat boxes and lists. (Which I'm not even sure is possible, and I doubt I'd have the skill to do.)

This is too bad. There actually are a couple of formatting options I'd love to see included, but I know I'm not the person to do them, lol.

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2011, 20:55
There are a number of font options already included with the 3.5E ruleset. As DrZ mentioned, adding or changing fonts requires ruleset or extension changes.

To view all the font options, you can open the 3.5E.pak file. (Rename to .zip, and look inside). Then, all of the font information is stored in the graphics subdirectory in the graphics_fonts.xml file and fonts folder.

Regards,
JPG

Netjera
June 9th, 2011, 12:27
There are a number of font options already included with the 3.5E ruleset. As DrZ mentioned, adding or changing fonts requires ruleset or extension changes.

To view all the font options, you can open the 3.5E.pak file. (Rename to .zip, and look inside). Then, all of the font information is stored in the graphics subdirectory in the graphics_fonts.xml file and fonts folder.

Regards,
JPG

The problem is, IF I'm understanding correctly (which I'm probably not, lol), I'd need to swap the font for one already in the program. For example, change the heading style, or the text box style. I don't want to stop using the fonts already in there. I just want to add another, usable on only certain text that I want to be able to select, just like I'd do if I wanted to bold it.

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2011, 15:52
Yes, that level of customization would require ruleset code changes or an extension. You would basically be creating a new window type with its own layout and font choices.

Regards,
JPG