PDA

View Full Version : No umlauts in version 2.8.0 !?

GenX
June 5th, 2011, 17:25
I have updated to version 2.8.0.

Now i can´t use the german keys like ü,ä,ö (Umlaute) !!!
All i get are some strange signs :-(

Oberoten
June 5th, 2011, 22:35
Swedish åäö and ü as well as á ë etc all seems to work for me, try to re-update again.

- Obe

Fenloh
June 6th, 2011, 05:40
in which Ruleset?

Fenloh

Oberoten
June 6th, 2011, 10:51
I tried with Warhammer, Ars Magica and GURPS.

- Obe

Fenloh
June 6th, 2011, 12:05
hihi, I was pointing towards GenX.

You are around long enough, Obe, i wouldn´t have to ask you, if you would post a problem like this :). It my well be, that he is talking about the SR4 Ruleset. The "ü" does not work, because of the ttf that was used.

But that was done on Purpose, you know, a feature.... * coughs *

Fenloh

GenX
June 6th, 2011, 15:00
Sorry I forgott this information. I used the 4E DnD ruleset.

I also think it must have something to do with the new fonts which used in the new FG2 Version :-(

Yesterday i switched back to the last released Version ( 2.7.6 ) because there are some more problems.

After our switch to the 2.8.0 testversion two of the connecting players was detected as an hackattack from my active kaspersky internet security 2011 and get blocked ! So only one player could join my server but all others couldn´t.

The "Connection Test" at the FG2 startscreen also get no result ! (I still have forwarded the port 1802 in my routerconfiguration)

After the downgrade the test was succesfull again and all players could connect.

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 00:05
Mmm some time later...

I updated to the regular Version 2.8.

Still the same problem wirh ü ä !?

Is there any solution ?

Moon Wizard
August 28th, 2011, 08:27
I just typed a "ä, ö and ü" into the chat line within an FG 4E campaign, and it displayed correctly in both the chat entry line as well as the chat window.

* Do the umlaut characters work in the chat window for you?
* If so, what windows are you having trouble seeing the umlaut characters in?

Thanks,
JPG

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 10:15
They works nowhere ! Not in the chat, in my storytext and so on! I use Windows 7

Maybe it has something to do with that we have done an update from 2.7.6 to 2.8 ? No fresh install.

But all of us has this problem ? So i am wondering why no one else can comprehend that problem ? ( 4E ruleset )

How can we changed the used fondsstyle back to the one from 2.7.6 ?
I find it sad that I have mentioned this problem before 3 months, and the official version has exactly the same problem !?

Trenloe
August 28th, 2011, 10:37
They works nowhere ! Not in the chat, in my storytext and so on! I use Windows 7

Works OK for me in Windows 7. But, I'm not using a German keyboard!

I tested by using the ALT Key codes. Perhaps you could check by doing the same to see if it is a keyboard mapping issue?

Codes available here (https://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html)

For example, hold down the ALT key and enter 0214 on the numeric keypad (it has to be the keypad, not the numbers above the letters on the main keyboard) - this should give Ö. 0246 should give ö.

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 11:20
I have tested it know with a new campaign and the "ALT Key Codes"-

Same thing!

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5459/fg2umlautbug.jpg

I realy believe that the problem has his roots in the currently used typefonts !
And i don´t know why or where it was changed in Version 2.8 !?

Trenloe
August 28th, 2011, 12:09
Ah, OK - the umlaut letters are being replaced with Cyrillic (Russian etc) characters.

Please check what keyboard/langauge settings you have:

- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Select "Region and Language".
- Go to the "Keyboards and Languages" tab.
- Click "Change Keyboards"

Let us know all of the "Installed Services" listed.

(Sorry, the above are all English labels used in Windows, I'm guessing yours won't be in English!).

I can recreate this issue with Windows 7 when it is set to use a Russian keyboard - it displays "ö" as "ц", "ä" as "д", etc...

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 12:39
I have just the German Service installed :

https://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8373/win7keyboardsetting.jpg

Trenloe
August 28th, 2011, 13:34
I think I know the answer to this question, but need to check it anyway...

- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Select "Region and Language".
- Go to the "Administrative" tab.
- Please check the "Current Language for non-Unicode programs"

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 13:57
Mmm thanks but i think there is everything alright, or :

https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/5904/win7keyboardsetting2.jpg

Trenloe
August 28th, 2011, 14:10
The more I think about it, I don't know how seeing Cyrillic characters in the default 4e ruleset in V2.8 is even possible!

The default font used is graphics/fonts/dnd4e-regular-9.fgf, graphics/fonts/dnd4e-bold-9.fgf for the GM chat font (which in your screenshot shows the Cyrillic characters). I've been through the relevant FG font files in my V2.8 install and Cyrillic characters aren't there!

So, you're right - your proplem does have it's roots in the used typefonts. Just not the ones that come with the V2.8 4E ruleset!

Please do another test in a completely new 4E campaign with no extensions loaded - then post the screenshot showing the issue.

Thanks.

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 14:49
NEW INFO: The Umlaut-signs work in the Titles but not in the standard text range and not in the chatbox ! (see screenshot)

I don´t know why the standard fonts has changed ?

Here a new campaign without any extensions :

BTW: I nothing chanced on my keyboard settings after i installed Win7 for about 2 years ! And it just begins after the update to 2.8 !

https://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2232/fg2umlautbug2.jpg

Trenloe
August 28th, 2011, 15:05
NEW INFO: The Umlaut-signs work in the Titles but not in the standard text range and not in the chatbox ! (see screenshot)

That's good news - we're making progress!

I'm wondering if, for some reason, you're not running the most recent version of the 4E ruleset - which contains the fonts. Your screenshot shows V2.0.2 of the ruleset, when I run mine it shows V2.1.

Try running the "Check for Updates" and see if it shows V2.1 after that - and see if the problem still exists.

P.S. I don't think has anything to do with the keyboard settings - as the fonts are embedded within Fantasy Grounds as bitmaps and aren't affected by the language etc. Sorry for getting you to check those settings and wasting your time.

GenX
August 28th, 2011, 16:10
I'm wondering if, for some reason, you're not running the most recent version of the 4E ruleset - which contains the fonts. Your screenshot shows V2.0.2 of the ruleset, when I run mine it shows V2.1.

Try running the "Check for Updates" and see if it shows V2.1 after that - and see if the problem still exists.

BULLSEYE !
You make my day !

I hit the "Check for Updates" button but nothing was updated.
Then i uninstalled FG2 and remove the hole FG2 folder in my AppData-Folder.
After a reinstall and "Check for Updates" FG shows me the 4E V2.1 !!!

Then after i insert the campaign files and start my campaign all works !

THX !!!!