PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about the idle indicator (Zzzz)?

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 08:59
I've started this poll to get a sense for how people are using the idle indicator within FG. As has been discussed in a previous thread, there are conflicting feelings about its current implementation and/or usefulness.

Currently, the idle indicator will appear after 1 minute of inactivity on the client. Activity is counted as any mouse movement over the FG window or keys pressed, only while the FG window has the focus.

If you have suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
JPG

Valarian
June 3rd, 2011, 09:14
I think an increase in the time limit (2 mins, or even 5 mins) would be preferable to just 1 minute. I did like the idea of a settable AFK status mentioned in the other thread (right-click menu option on the portrait).

VenomousFiligree
June 3rd, 2011, 10:00
I voted other, ie no auto idle, rather a right clickable (from the portrait) status.

Badgers
June 3rd, 2011, 10:40
I think some indication is useful, but the timeout is too short, and the Zzzz feels disrespectful. I don't think anyone would be too happy GMing over a real table and have someone snore at them. Perhaps something neutral like a simple green tick like in Skype.

Zeus
June 3rd, 2011, 12:05
I voted to increase the timeout period, I agree 1 min is too short.

Not fussed over the zzzz graphic, I don't find it disrespectful or insulting. Its just an indicator to me.

I also like the idea of players being able to Mark-them selves away.

dlinacre
June 3rd, 2011, 12:32
I voted that they are useful, but the timeout is too short.

An increase to 3 minutes would seem like a good compromise to me. If people are doing other things whilst still paying attention, checking the screen every 3 minutes is hardly difficult. Any longer than that without declaring AFK (which I agree would be a nice feature to be able to manually activate) deserves the Zzzz as you probably are being a little disrespectful to the rest of the gamers (imo).

I think 5 minutes / no timer at all is a little over the top. It would give people too much leeway to stray without consequence - potentially dragging out an otherwise exciting game.

Nestor
June 3rd, 2011, 12:39
I voted other, ie no auto idle, rather a right clickable (from the portrait) status.

that would be the best option

CAPryde
June 3rd, 2011, 13:38
I find the auto part useful; if it was only a manual setting, people could be called away, forget to change the setting, and leave you in the dark.

mr_h
June 3rd, 2011, 14:38
I voted other because I'd like to see two changes.

1) A longer Auto Idle time out (Gives Zzzzs or a Idle indicator)

2) A toggle-able AFK indicator.

In my games in the past, I've used a graphic that lets people move their tokens from Here to AFK, cause it seemed to give more information.

Ikael
June 3rd, 2011, 14:51
I join the people who think that we actually need new type of idling: AFK. And the auto idle is too short. I would love to see it configurable (or at least increased to 3mins from 1min)

Leonal
June 3rd, 2011, 17:19

Agreed. (Also voted other)

I'm not bothered by it, though it seems to get stuck on the non-active character if a player has multiple characters opened.

VenomousFiligree
June 3rd, 2011, 18:14
though it seems to get stuck on the non-active character if a player has multiple characters opened.
worthy of a separate bug report as the "talk" icon can as well.

Griogre
June 3rd, 2011, 18:53
I like the Zzz's. In games if I haven't heard someone's voice in a while and see them there's a good chance they are AFK.

I think it would be nice to have a selectable time limit. I really think the 1 minute works very well for a text only game, but with voice chat you can have people talking and have the Zzzz's come up so an option to set the timer to a longer time would be good. I'd like you being able to set the time to however many minutes you want. I would try 2 minutes first and see how that works.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 21:27
Idle Timer
From what I am seeing so far, most people like having the idle timer, but they would like a longer time limit, preferably customizable.

In the short term, I will increase the limit to 2 minutes on the v2.8 test version.

In the long term, I will need to look at how to allow customization of the idle time limit. I'm thinking it would need to be a host controlled setting that is campaign specific.

AFK Indicator
My initial bare bones thought was to implement a slash command that generated a chat message to indicate AFK. Then, I thought, how is that different from a player simply stating that they are going AFK in chat?

While a nice touch, does an AFK indicator really add that much value?

Anybody want to generate an extension to see how people actually use it. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
June 3rd, 2011, 22:02
I'll take a look.

What about if I add a /slash handler and radial menu support to portraits with options for setting status.

I can then add a small widget with a couple of status icons e.g. online and away

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2011, 00:14
That's what I was thinking to.

Since the characterlist_entry class uses widgets for the idling/typing indicators, it seems like you might be able to avoid having to override the entire windowclass by also using a widget.

Cheers,
JPG

mr_h
June 4th, 2011, 01:51
While a nice touch, does an AFK indicator really add that much value?

To me, yes, an indicator would be nice. It's easy to miss someone typing something in if there's a lot going on. Or if they don't want to interrupt someone else talking on voice chat. Or if the GM is forgetful....like me:)

Crowley72
June 5th, 2011, 22:11
I answered "Other" for the poll.

I do like the Zzzz indicator, tho I think one minute is too long. Maybe it would be best to let the host set the timer, apart from any setup needed for rules sets?

Another idea would be to have 2 indicators. Something to show that the user is active on his desktop, but not in the FG window, and another for AFK to show no desktop activity at all.

The reason for this is because a few of my players use dual monitors when they play, so they can access .PDF rule books, et al. It's hard to tell if I should wait for a user, or keep the game speed moving at a good pace.

C

Netjera
June 8th, 2011, 14:04
Since I haven't had players connect yet, I've only experienced them by localhosting to myself. I haven't really noticed how long before they appear, but I have to say I love the zzzZZZzz. It's quirky and fun, and the first time I saw it, it needed no explanation! I love stuff that's easy to figure out. (Oh look! The NPC went to sleep! rofl)

I do think someone's idea for making them clickable (like an afk), is a great one, but I'd implement it in addition to the way they work now. Or, if timing is an issue, perhaps a setting in preferences where the DM can choose, "Mark people "asleep" when they're idle for 2 min, 5 min, 7 min.. etc", and then the players can also elect to set themselves asleep if necessary.

Either way, I'm really glad you included this feature! Thanks!

Magnatude
June 14th, 2011, 02:23
I'm one of those that doesn't bother with looking at the Zzzs...
When we play we play "voice" over skype with FG open... the chat is used for the dice, obviously, and the occasional whispering.

I guess perhaps a lot of players wouldn't like voice, nervous or whatever... But its a lot of fun as long as you can get through the thick accents at times.
I feel its very cool to play this way, a lot easier to express what you want instead of misunderstanding the delivery of a characters line.