PDA

View Full Version : Test Release 2.8 (Part 2)

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 08:31
As always, please make a backup of your campaign before opening with a test release.

Last update: June 15, 2011

Thanks again to the whole community for helping me get the new version tested before release. Given our limited resources, this helps us get the best application out the door.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Due to all the great feedback, I will be creating multiple threads as needed to handle the volume.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 08:32
Lite and Unregistered versions can host demo campaigns.
Network optimizations, including token and portrait caching.
When connection is lost, FG will attempt to reconnect to session for one minute. Any game data sent while disconnected will not be shared.
Temporary files are cleaned up between sessions.
Ultimate and Full versions can create and load campaigns when not connected to the Internet.
Unregistered and lite versions can manage local characters with any installed ruleset. (if supported by ruleset)
Client hot keys are saved as separate file in campaign cache folder.
Idle timer increased to 2 minutes, up from 1 minute.
Improvements to window list drawing speed.
Better auto scrolling for nested windows and lists.
Left click on chat window will set focus to chat entry box.
Chat entry will not clear on mouse drag unless drag ends outside of box.
Grave key is no longer hard-coded to issue stop/prompt messages in chat window. Use the radial menu instead.
Clicking 4th mouse button in token bags will go up one level.
When using radial menu to apply formatting to formattedtextcontrol, focus is maintained.
Modules will only create their own category tab, if no mergeid defined and tab names not already defined.
Clients could sometimes edit database entries they should not, and changes would be incorrectly propagated to host. Fixed.
Fields using frames smaller than the size of the field will now tile the edges correctly.
Assign speaker menu item was not visually updating. Fixed.
Deleting empty lines in formattedtextcontrols could crash client. Fixed.
Random impulse was not being added to dice rolls correctly. Fixed.
First die roll using double-click rolling method would sometimes hang or fail. Fixed.
Network race condition on delete when window shared with client identified. Fixed.
Module categories and data entries would sometimes not appear, if primary campaign did not have records of same type. Fixed.
[LAUNCHER] UPnP port forwarding enabled for Connection Test.
[LAUNCHER] Allows hosting when not connected to network.
[LAUNCHER] Required fields highlighted in red.
[LAUNCHER] Host user name defaults to "GM".
[3.5E] Updated theme and sheet layouts.
[3.5E] Client access to shared story, image and item entries.
[3.5E] Full effects system added. See manual for details.
[3.5E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.
[3.5E] Spell points support (i.e. psionics).
[3.5E] Temporary and nonlethal hit point support.
[3.5E] Chat window relative to FG window size.
[3.5E] Search boxes added to every reference list.
[3.5E] Indication of editable and rollable fields on character sheet.
[3.5E] Support for more than 3 character classes.
[3.5E] Drag and drop items to inventory.
[3.5E] Enhanced PC spell casting.
[3.5E] Targeting for double-click and drag-and-drop rolls improved.
[3.5E] Image viewpoint remembered between sessions.
[3.5E] Image toolbar added.
[3.5E] NPC visibility options in CT.
[3.5E] Encounter placement of tokens.
[3.5E] Lighting and reply slash commands added.
[3.5E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.
[3.5E] AFK feature added.
[3.5E] Weapons, armor and equipment details added to modules.
[4E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.
[4E] Encounter placement of tokens.
[4E] Added confirmations to radial delete.
[4E] Speaker bar on host moved under chat window.
[4E] Chat window relative to FG window size.
[4E] Auto complete for multi word character names while whispering.
[4E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.
[4E] AFK feature added.
[4E] Added options for adjusting NPC strength when they are added to combat tracker.
[4E] Tokens can be individually scaled by holding CTRL and using mouse wheel over token.
[4E] Combat tracker no longer needs to be open in order to target or drop actions on tokens.
[4E] When dropping powers on character sheet, recharge would appear differently on player/GM screens. Fixed.
[DEV] Ruleset and extension file load order is now the same on host and client.
[DEV] Tabbing in string/number fields will now skip invisible, disabled or read-only fields.
[DEV] Number controls will only intercept number drops by default, instead of all drops.
[DEV] Added support for 4th and 5th mouse buttons in onClickDown and onClickRelease events.
[DEV] throwDice calls made during chatwindow.onDrop handler will use current mouse vector, instead of random vector.
[DEV] softclose tag will now allow windows to become invisible and minimized, instead of just minimized.
[DEV] New functions, handlers, events and packages.
Comm: addChatMessage, deliverChatMessage, deliverOOBMessage, throwDice, vote, setChatMood, clearChat
DB: addHolder, export, getHolders, getText, getValue, import, isReadOnly, removeHolder, removeAllHolders, setValue
Interface: dialogFileOpen, dialogFileSave
Token: addToken, getToken, onAdd, onClickDown, onClickRelease, onContainerChanged, onDelete, onDoubleClick, onDrop, onHover, onHoverUpdate, onScaleChanged, onTargetUpdate, onWheel
User: getActiveUsers, kick
categoryselectioncontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
chatwindow: onHover, onHoverUpdate
databasenode: getText, isReadOnly
diecontrol: noreset, onValueChanged
formattedtextcontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
imagecontrol: getImageSize, hasDrawing, hasMask, onHover, onHoverUpdate
numbercontrol: default, min, max
stringcontrol: default, readonly
tokencontrol: nodrag, nodrop, onValueChanged
tokeninstance: onHover, onHoverUpdate
windowinstance: isMinimized, onHover, onHoverUpdate
windowreferencecontrol: noreset, onValueChanged
[DEV] 2.8 changes (behavior change when ruleset updated)
Most slash commands moved to ruleset.
Console warning generated when template not found.
Character database root can be specified as something other than "charsheet" using the characterdbroot tag.
When importing characters from local mode, reference links are remapped to new character record ID.
setValue, setPrototype and populateFromImageNode will no longer bypass database node ownership checks.
imagecontrol: onTokenAdded event called for all existing tokens when initialized.
windowcontrol: onDragStart added to replace first onDrag call.
windowlistcontrol: onListRearranged event only called when windows added, deleted or rearranged.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 08:37
In Patch Notes

Lite and unregistered versions can host demo campaigns
Added tokencontrol.onValueChanged event

Test Version Changes

Unable to share module data. Fixed.
Added setValue recursion check for control setValue calls.
After using importchar or exportchar commands, error generated when attempting to return to launcher. Fixed.
Token bag and category tooltips sometimes would not appear. Fixed.
Tooltip visuals not updating correctly when moving mouse on object. Fixed.
Hover cursor settings were not being shown correctly. Fixed.
When dragging, Escape key would not clear drag object correctly. Fixed.
Dice were constrained to old chat window box when rolled. Fixed.
Visuals not updating when setSelectionPosition and setCursorPosition called. Fixed.
[3.5E] Chat box graphic adjusted.
[3.5E] Sidebar graphic adjusted.
[3.5E] Spell damage rolls will only roll once, instead of being rolled for each target.
[3.5E] Added item description text to basic rules module
[3.5E] Duration added to effect application messages.
[3.5E] Portrait drop rolls not working. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error when using items from d20_JPG equipment module. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error when using spell effects with dice in the duration. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script error on NPC skill roll. Fixed.
[3.5E] NPC attacks not correctly showing touch or ranged attributes. Fixed.
[4E] Token drops not working on client. Fixed.
[4E] Initiative rolls by client not updating CT. Fixed.
[DEV] textwidget.getText was not working. Fixed.
[DEV] DB.getText was not available. Fixed.

NOTE 1: Previous versions allowed clients to change values on the host for database nodes which they did not own. Added backward compatibility flag to allow this to continue for older rulesets. (i.e. client token drops and initiative rolls)

NOTE 2: In some situations, the dice results shown on host vs. client may be different depending on relative difference between chat window sizes due to the physical model of dice rolling. The various FG dice rolling functions have been adjusted to minimize these situations.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
June 3rd, 2011, 18:05
Thanks for the update!

Two things I noticed.

Resting doesn't reset a character's actions. (ported and newly created ones)
Damage types must be typed in lowercase.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 20:03
I found the root of the script errors for creating personalities in CoC and BRP.

The setFocus function will now trigger any delayed layout of controls in order to correctly scroll to the right view. It's part of my changes to prevent fields having focus, but being off screen.

Since the CoC and BRP rulesets use some templates where the anchors are not defined until after the onInit functions are called, then you get missing anchor messages. The way to prevent error messages is to provide a default anchor in any controls you build.

I will also add a 2.8 compatibility section around the layout on setFocus, so that the errors will not appear on previous rulesets.

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
June 4th, 2011, 09:33
[Using 3.5E, no extensions or modules open, new/empty campaign]
I cannot 100% pin down what causes this, but if you do have the following then clicking on a PCs portrait as a GM will reliably open the combat tracker or another PCs sheet before opening the correct character sheet. I have also made this happen with multiple instances.

I believe the procedure below will make it occur. Sorry for the many actions, but I haven't been able to narrow it down further.

Have one or more players with two characters each.
Have both of those players' characters target each other on a shared map with tokens linked to the tracker.
Have players and GM close map and tracker.
GM clicks on all portraits to open their character sheets, then on one of the characters it will first open the combat tracker first (also experienced it opening the mini sheet of another character once), and by clicking the portrait a second time it will open the correct sheet.

edit: It also happens if only one player with two characters is connected.

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2011, 00:18
Thanks, Leonal.

Even though it was not a simple scenario, I was able to recreate and track down the issue. Essentially, "hidden" windows could receive click, drag and drop events. A window is "hidden" when it has the softclose tag and the user closes the window. Essentially, it minimizes the window and makes it invisible. With the changes to the 3.5E ruleset I increased the use of the softclose tag for speed on character sheets and the combat tracker.

This was actually an issue that I noticed occasionally but could never really pinpoint. It turns out that it was an issue that has been there for many versions, just not really noticed much.

Thanks again,
JPG

Leonal
June 5th, 2011, 02:14
You're welcome.

I suppose I haven't seen it before, because with d20_JPG we never really used targeting. A friend of mine and I tested a bit yesterday and we're really liking the upgrades to 3.5E. Thanks for your hard work. :)

Sigurd
June 5th, 2011, 05:16
Thanks so much for the bug hunting JPG!

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2011, 07:01
Here are the changes for the update to the test version I just pushed:

Idle timer increased to 2 minutes, up from 1 minute.
Backward compatibility flag added to prevent layout during setFocus calls (BRP and CoC personality script errors)
Hidden windows (i.e. softclose) would sometimes still receive click, drag, and drop events. Fixed.
imagecontrol.setDrawingSize not working correctly. Fixed.
[3.5E] Script errors when resting. Fixed.
[3.5E] Added points used field to spell point casters (i.e. psionics).

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
June 5th, 2011, 07:27
[3.5E]
When, as a player, you cast a magic against an NPC and the GM has options set to hide all rolls, it still shows the dice, modifier and result from the targeted NPC (e.g. when an NPC auto-rolls a reflex save against a magic that was cast upon it).

Moon Wizard
June 5th, 2011, 10:52
Just to clarify, you are saying that the NPC dice roll for saving throws when a PC casts a spell on them is still showing even when GM rolls turned off. Is that correct?

If so, I think I might have an idea of what is happening.

Thanks again,
JPG

Leonal
June 5th, 2011, 15:39
Yes that is correct.
1. PC drags a spell w/save on NPC.
2. NPC auto-rolls save, and will show dice, bonus and whether successful or not even though all other GM related rolls and results are hidden.

At one point it showed the die, but not the bonus, but we couldn't manage to recreate it.

Second issue [FG], from a thread in the Savage Worlds sub-forum: It seems one cannot paste text from the clip board anywhere except the text area of a story entry. (Tried in SW/3.5/4E)

Third issue [3.5E], players cannot see items in the item window.

Leonal
June 6th, 2011, 04:12
Another issue I found.

1. If a player creates more than one character the activate button seems to be missing and one can only change between characters by releasing them. If the player's character is not the leftmost portrait it seems to work.

2. If you have a lot of library modules open, then the lowest one might be pushed out of sight in the library with no possibility to scroll further down.

3. Is it intentional that players must double click on their portrait to open a character sheet, but the GM single clicks?

Blackfoot
June 6th, 2011, 16:53
In 3.5..
I noticed that despite the presence of the new weapon and armor boxes on the Abilities tab, you can't drag those 'feats' to those boxes... I imagine these boxes were added to take this info out of the 'feats' list.

Moon Wizard
June 7th, 2011, 07:37
Leonal,
Thanks for the clarifications.

On the other items:

* The players will only be able to see items which have been shared. However, there is apparently no current way to share. Added to my bug list.

* When a player loads multiple characters, a single click on a portrait will activate that character, while a double-click will open the character sheet. If the player has only one character open, then that character is always active and a single click will open the character sheet. That is expected behavior. Also, you can click the balloon icon on the character sheet to activate a character. However, the visibility of which character is active in the top left character list (i.e. bold italic label) is not working on the client. Also added to the bug list.

* When the list of books in the library exceeds the display size of the left box of the library, you should be able to scroll using the mouse wheel, and a scroller control should appear right underneath the left side box listing the modules.

Blackfoot,

It should be fairly straightforward to add a drag and drop for the feat to those areas.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 7th, 2011, 07:48
Another update to the test version:

Unable to paste to string controls. Fixed.
Disabled minimize on ruleset load to prevent graphics initialization issues.
Changes to DirectX device lost handling. (i.e. after minimized, or ALT+TAB)
[3.5E] Saving throws for NPCs or unowned characters are now rolled by host to preserve GM roll visibility settings.
[3.5E] CT entry names not linked to tokens. Fixed.
[4E] Combat tracker no longer needs to be open in order to target or drop actions on tokens.
[4E] Tokens can be individually scaled by holding CTRL and using mouse wheel over token.
[4E] Dice position adjusted to match new desktop layout.

Cheers,
JPG

DNH
June 7th, 2011, 10:04
Glad to hear about the alt-tab thing, losing the requirement for clients to have the CT open (although come to think of it, I think my players will all keep it open anyway, because of the info it provides) and the dice position. Just wondering, moon_wizard, what your expectations are for release of this ruleset version. I am about to recommence my 4e game (on June 20) and I would like to do so with 2.8, if possible.

Blackfoot
June 7th, 2011, 19:27
* When a player loads multiple characters, a single click on a portrait will activate that character, while a double-click will open the character sheet. If the player has only one character open, then that character is always active and a single click will open the character sheet. That is expected behavior. Also, you can click the balloon icon on the character sheet to activate a character. However, the visibility of which character is active in the top left character list (i.e. bold italic label) is not working on the client. Also added to the bug list.There also seems to be a problem selecting character images when multiple characters are loaded. The last loaded works fine.. but after that... not so much... Actually I saw some flakey stuff in the player images on the client side.. it didn't seem to be working correctly.. the images looked fine for the host but the client had grey boxes.

Moon Wizard
June 7th, 2011, 19:37
DNH,
Based on the previous 2.7 release experience, I'm guessing v2.8 will be ready around late June, early July, for release.

Blackfoot,
Do you have steps to recreate the issue with the portraits? I'll try to look at it here as well, to see if I can recreate.

Thanks,
JPG

Blackfoot
June 7th, 2011, 19:42
Blackfoot,
Do you have steps to recreate the issue with the portraits? I'll try to look at it here as well, to see if I can recreate.

Thanks,
JPGTry running a client and loading several characters... activate a different character then try and load an image. It worked fine for the last loaded character but did not for any characters I 'switched' to... I'll see if I can figure out what created the other problems I was seeing in there.

Blackfoot
June 7th, 2011, 20:51
Created 3 new characters as the host. test1 test2 test3.
Loaded a client on the same machine and connected.
Selected the three characters in order. 1 2 3.
3 is now primary.
changed 3's picture.. no problem.
clicked 1 once... 3 still highlighted.. when I type to chat it reads as 1.. but talk bubble appears on 3... when I switch images.. it switches 3's image again.
Tried double click and right click.. no options for activate anymore.

Blackfoot
June 7th, 2011, 20:57
Did someone mention the library issue? The headings/categories in the Library don't seem to work anymore. The headings all appear at the top and ALL the open books appear at the bottom regardless of what group they are supposed to be in.

Darkfaith
June 7th, 2011, 23:25
Did someone mention the library issue? The headings/categories in the Library don't seem to work anymore. The headings all appear at the top and ALL the open books appear at the bottom regardless of what group they are supposed to be in.

I've actually run into this myself, but it doesn't seem to do it with -all- categories. For example, in my regular campaigns, I have books under 3 categories. 4E Core Rules, 4E Forgotten Realms, and Compendiums. Modules under the first 2 categories are grouped properly under their headings, but modules that are supposed to be under the Compendiums heading (which is placed at the top, above the other headings) are all dumped at the bottom of the list.

Edit: I suppose I should mention that these were all compiled with the same version (the latest) of Tenian's Parser.

Leonal
June 8th, 2011, 08:06
[3.5E]
Ability effects like "STR: +4 enhancement" makes, as far as I can tell, no adjustments to the one receiving the effect.

Moon Wizard
June 8th, 2011, 08:30
Which actions are you seeing it not affect?
(should be melee attack, damage, grapple and skill)

I'll look tomorrow as well. Too tired to focus right now.

Thanks,
JPG

Leonal
June 8th, 2011, 10:03
Ah, nevermind. I was expecting it to show a raised str, not just add +2 to the relevant rolls. My bad, and take your time. :) I was positively surprised and really appreciate how quickly you implement new updates to the test version.

edit: it does not however make difference between a +4 str bonus while wielding a 1-handed weapon and a 2-handed one where a +4 str should give a +3 damage bonus. That can be adjusted for more easily in-game by the gm though.

Ikael
June 8th, 2011, 20:58
I have found an issue that appeared after updating from 2.7.6 to 2.8. Stringcontrol's value is not initialized the same way as it used to be. The issue is that stringcontrol's onInit function is not called in the same order like before. This issue can be reproduced for example in using campaigncalendar extension in any ruleset (can be downloaded from https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Campaigndate). When you enable the ruleset and type /date you won't see any script errors in 2.7.6 but in 2.8 you see that nil value is being compared to number value. The value is nil because stringcontrol's onInit is not called before numbercontrol's onValueChanged is called. If you add codeline:

window.month.onInit()
after line 76 in utility_date.xml file stringcontroler's value will be initialized like before.

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2011, 01:12
Blackfoot/Darkfaith,
I found the module ordering issue, and added backward compatibility for older rulesets as well as updating 3.5E and 4E to be faster.

Leonal,
Thanks for the report. The damage ability multiplier was not being correctly applied to ability effect bonuses. It will be in the next cycle.

Ikael,
I found the issue. It seems that the extension assumes that onValueChanged will not be called when using the setValue function. It happens that the setValue function in stringcontrols (vs. stringfields) would not trigger the onValueChanged call in v2.7, though it would trigger on subsequent changes. It's not something I can easily patch and not a good assumption for the extension code, so I will see about updating the extension.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 9th, 2011, 01:26
Next cycle of changes for test release.

Custom token bags can be renamed.
Portraits for multiple characters not setting correctly. Fixed.
When using multiple characters, the character list would not update active character indicator when switching. Fixed.
Library not sorting correctly. Fixed.
[3.5E] Feats can be dropped on proficiency lists.
[3.5E] Campaign items were not able to be shared. Fixed.
[3.5E,4E] Typing widget not clearing when changing between multiple characters. Fixed.
[3.5E,4E] Active character name is now larger.
[3.5E] Weapon stat multiple not being correctly applied to damage rolls. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

Leonal
June 9th, 2011, 04:20
I GMed a full 8-9h session just now with 3.5E (latest 2.8 before the build posted 3hours ago) and my Pathfinder extension (in the workshop) for 3 players and we found the following:

[Bug] Modifiers from the modifier box are not added to short cut/hot key rolls.

[Error message] Error on deleting NPC from tracker which also had a linked token on a shared map gave this error on the client side for one player:
Script Error: [string "clienttracker_entry:tokenrefnode"]:1: attempt to call field 'linkToken' (a nil value)

[Font/Styleproblem] The typed text with the dungeon theme gets cut off below the line in inventory and spell tab. making g/y/j etc. hard to differentiate.

[Request] Cannot drag an NPC to the combat tracker or NPC encounter sheet from the NPC sheet, but only from the list of NPCs (or through the encounter sheet for the tracker).

[Request] Auto roll of stabilization of PCs below 0 HP: I found no way to turn it off, and since it works differently in Pathfinder an option to enable or disable it would be great. I ended up just adding HP below 0 as negative temp HP to avoid it.

[Request] Distance on an image with grid is counted as squares. An option to choose between 5 (or even x) measurements per square would be a nice feature.

Otherwise it worked great and had no connection problems. Was tweaking a bit when untyped damage was rolled against NPCs with damage reduction, but since my players just tried this now weapons and such weren't fully set up.

Thanks!

edited for clarity.

Leonal
June 9th, 2011, 11:06
[3.5E] If applying an effect like "DEX: -2 size" (or other type like enhancement) and roll a DEX related roll (except skills which appear to not get modified by ability adjusting effects at all) I get the following error.
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_effect.lua"]:884: table index is nil

It does not appear if I don't have any text at the end.

Leonal
June 10th, 2011, 09:32
[3.5E] Image sharing:
Clients won't remember the image position if they close and open a shared image. It will reset to the top left corner, but will keep the correct zoom level.

demadog
June 10th, 2011, 16:32
Hi All, I GM a 6 player 4e game. We played 2 weeks ago on 2.8 and that session went very smoothly. We even luckily or unluckily got a chance to test the new reconnection process and it worked like a charm. However, after taking the updates last night (6/9) we ran into some pretty bad problems.

First of all, several players experienced extremely slow loading times or complete hangs at the character selection screen, while a few others seem to get in just fine. Then when they did get finally get in, they seemingly were able to crash the server. It seemed to me to happen right after their portrait appeared. The error that windows 7 Pro 64bit threw doesn't seem helpful;

Faulting application name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4df00dc4
Faulting module name: FantasyGrounds.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4df00dc4
Exception code: 0x40000015
Fault offset: 0x000f40fc
Faulting process id: 0xf04
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc2704be7467ed
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II\FantasyGrounds.exe
Report Id: fd2f3bec-92f8-11e0-b00b-001676c8781b

We tried several steps to fix the problem, but were only able to get everyone logged back in after clearing all server and client side caches and patiently waiting for everyone to rebuild them. Further login tests afterwards seem to point to everything going well from here on out.

Secondly, it seems that the "Target: Remove on Miss" function is broken.

[10.06.2011 14:26:41] Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_targeting.lua"]:220: attempt to call field 'getTokenReference' (a nil value)

We tried several troubleshooting measures including restarting FG, rebooting systems, turning the setting on/off/multi, removing all objects from the CT and readding, but we haven't been able to get it working again.

Hope this helps,

Al

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2011, 01:33
Demadog,

I'm not sure why you were getting crashes and slow load times on some clients. If you are able to recreate consistently, I would be grateful for a copy of the client cache file and host campaign directory. (Send to [email protected])

On the targeting, I found this in my game as well, so it's on the list to fix. I migrated some of the new 3.5E targeting code to 4E, since it removes the combat tracker having to be open requirement for host and client. Unfortunately, there was a bug in the new remove on miss code.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2011, 01:51
Another refresh of the test version:

Added loadorder attribute for extensions.
Token attribute changes made on host not immediately visible on client. Fixed.
Nested windowlists not laying out correctly. Fixed.
Imagecontrols did not always display the correct cursor. Fixed.
[3.5E] Added links to campaign NPC and item sheets.
[3.5E] Modifier stack is now applied to /die rolls.
[3.5E,4E] Remove target on miss generating script errors. Fixed.
[3.5E,4E] Script errors on negative effect modifiers. Fixed.
[3.5E,4E] Images opened on client from campaign images list do not remember last view position. Fixed.
[3.5E] Vector and pointer measurements were incorrectly showing distance in squares, instead of feet. Fixed.
[3.5E] Ability effects not added to skill rolls. Fixed.
[3.5E] Client script error when new entry in combat tracker. Fixed.
[3.5E] Dungeon theme fonts removed due to layout issues.
[4E] Recursive script warnings on powers page. Fixed.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
June 11th, 2011, 02:06
This looks great. :)

I have a minor request. The BAB/GRP field for an NPC is a bit narrow. It gets broken if you type e.g. +20/+20 (and even worse when I add the static Pathfinder CMD, so I skip the + to save space and have it like this e.g. 10/15/25).

Thanks again!

kdietri
June 11th, 2011, 03:13
Sorry if it's been answered, but is there a complete list of effects that can be used?

Such as ATK, etc. etc.

Leonal
June 11th, 2011, 05:08
The latest 3.5E.pak cannot be opened, even when changed to a zip archive.
It gives an error that the format is either unknown or damaged.

Not sure if my download got corrupted or if it's something else. It loads fine in FG.

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2011, 06:25
Strange, that's the first time I've had the packager have an issue. I just rebuilt, and reset the download. If you re-update, it should be fine again. It fixed my install.

JPG

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2011, 06:37
kdietri,

One of the things that's not done yet is the updated manual for 3.5E with the full effects list.

Here's a quick list of effects:

ATK, DMG, HEAL, AC, SAVE, INIT, SKILL, ABIL
STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA
NLVL

IMMUNE (no number, only type)
RESIST (number plus type)
VULN (no number, only type)
DR (drag NPCs to tracker for examples)
DMGTYPE (only type)

Incorporeal
Construct traits
Undead traits

CA, GRANTCA, COVER, SCOVER, CONC, TCONC

Blinded, Cowering, Dazzled, Entangled, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Helpless, Invisible, Panicked, Paralyzed, Petrified, Rebuked, Shaken, Sickened, Slowed, Stunned, Turned, Unconscious

Climbing, Grappling, Kneeling, Pinned, Prone, Running, Sitting, Squeezing

You'll have to ask for more info, if you can't figure out, at least until I get a moment to work on the manual. Also, the built-in spell parser will try to build the non numeric effects (i.e. conditions) automatically.

Regards,
JPG

Sorcerer
June 11th, 2011, 16:08
not really a new problem, more of a know issue carried over from 4E
As in 4E, flushDB in the new 3.5E removes all holders including those which are owned. Causing Characters to lose ownership - no big deal they can be reselected onlogin.

The main issue is with notes, which cannot be reassigned in game, requiring a DB edit.

the work around I'm using is simply to exclude the notes node from the flush

function processFlushDB(params)
local rootnode = DB.findNode(".");
if rootnode then
for k,v in pairs(rootnode.getChildren()) do
if v.getName() ~= "notes" then
v.removeAllHolders(true);
end
end
end
SystemMessage("All client access to database (except notes) has been reset.")
end

Moon Wizard
June 11th, 2011, 22:04
That is actually a bug in the removeAllHolders code. It was ignoring the skipowner flag for child nodes. On the list for the next cycle.

Thanks,
JPG

kdietri
June 11th, 2011, 23:20
I've had a chance to sit down and go over things and here are some thoughts. First of all, overall I'd say it's a pretty wicked update.

These are my list of suggestions/issues.

Parsing of universal DMGTYPES worked well, such as good or evil for outsiders. But I still needed to input damage types to individual attacks. (eg. 'Longsword +3 melee (1d8+1/19-20)' to 'Longsword +3 melee (1d8+1/19-20; DMGTYPE: slashing)'). When I did this it combined the slashing damage type with any other universal damage types very nicely. It would be nice if say claws, bites, slams etc. parsed their damage types, even nicer if all the weapons did.

AC effects, as far as I could tell, add to both regular AC and Touch AC. (eg. 'AC: 2 armor', and 'AC: 2 deflection', both add 2, to touch AC as well as regular AC).

CA and GRANTCA: CA works, but when I applied a target to the effect it stopped working. Couldn't get GRANTCA to work at all.

Attacking Flat Foot and Touch: Would be very nice to have a button combination to allow these. Similar to shift causing an Opportunity attack.

Thanks again for everyone's hard work.

Leonal
June 12th, 2011, 01:45
These are my list of suggestions/issues.

Parsing the DR's put in an 'and' instead of a comma. When I changed that it worked. (eg. 'DR: 5 silver and evil' changed to 'DR: 5 silver, evil')

Parsing of Regeneration was similar, just needed to remove the 'and' (eg. 'REGEN: 5 fire and acid' to 'REGEN: 5 firie, acid'.)

I'm using Pathfinder statblocks and not 3.5, but I find I have to change every comma to 'and' for the NPC effects to parse correctly.

Is that the same as what you're describing, or the opposite?

I'd definitely prefer if it could be separated by a comma. :)

kdietri
June 12th, 2011, 01:59
I'm using Pathfinder statblocks and not 3.5, but I find I have to change every comma to 'and' for the NPC effects to parse correctly.

Is that the same as what you're describing, or the opposite?

I'd definitely prefer if it could be separated by a comma. :)

When I open an NPC from the 3.5 Monsters that are provided they are parsed so that the DR effect says 'DR: 5 silver and evil', for example. But that doesn't seem to work for me. It only worked when I changed it to 'DR: 5 silver, evil'

That's my experience anyways.

Leonal
June 12th, 2011, 02:15
When I open an NPC from the 3.5 Monsters that are provided they are parsed so that the DR effect says 'DR: 5 silver and evil', for example. But that doesn't seem to work for me. It only worked when I changed it to 'DR: 5 silver, evil'

That's my experience anyways.

Hmm, I just tried with a Horned Devil from the 3.5 bestiary which says "good and silver" when parsed and it worked correctly when I tried to attack it with two different weapons (one good and one good and silver).

kdietri
June 12th, 2011, 02:26
Hmm, I just tried with a Horned Devil from the 3.5 bestiary which says "good and silver" when parsed and it worked correctly when I tried to attack it with two different weapons (one good and one good and silver).

Just tried it with Solar Angel, and you're right the DR worked. But the REGEN didn't.

But I think it's because it was 'REGEN: epic and evil or spell and evil:'

Changed it to "REGEN: 15 epic and evil; REGEN: 15 spell and evil;' and it worked.

Leonal
June 12th, 2011, 08:25
[Question]
Is it possible to add other damage types to a weapon attack like 1d6 acid or fire, or must that be added through a separate spell or by rolling manually?

Leonal
June 12th, 2011, 08:56
[Bug]
A player has 2 PCs and one cohort. For some reason I cannot drag the left-most portrait to the tracker, nor open it except trough the "Characters" button/window.

Also when I mouse over said PC it shows the name of the top left character in the "characters" window and it's that PCs sheet which opens when I click restore.

[Bug]
Off-Hand attacks halve the strength modifier if it's negative. It should not.

[Bug?]
Cannot apply negative modifiers to attributes. This was useful to reflect permanent bonuses from magic items and the like.

Leonal
June 12th, 2011, 23:26
[Bug]
My PF extension doesn't adjust any of these fields and uses the same charsheet_main.xml as the 3.5E ruleset so I don't think it's causing this (though I could be wrong), but on one of my players' characters I get the following error when opening the sheet:

[12.06.2011 22:05:39] Ruleset Error: Control '' anchoring to an undefined control 'spellresistance'
[12.06.2011 22:05:39] Ruleset Error: Control '' anchoring to an undefined control 'spellresistance'
[12.06.2011 22:05:39] Ruleset Error: Control 'fortitude' anchoring to an undefined control 'spellresistance'
[12.06.2011 22:05:39] Ruleset Error: Control 'fortitude' anchoring to an undefined control 'spellresistance'

It didn't happen when it was created, but later after it was fully detailed and I opened it during play I got the error. The lower right field on the main tab would then be blank, lacking the SR and SAVE boxes.

Moon Wizard
June 14th, 2011, 19:41
OK, finally got caught up, and had a chance to look at all the comments.

Implicit Damage Types (kdietri)
On the damage types, I'm not sure if I'm following you on what you are asking. Here is some more detail:

Right now, the ruleset will pick up any explicit damage types, but not any implicit damage types.
Weapons dragged onto character sheets have explicit data types in the weapon database, but NPC attacks (from the SRD data) rarely have explicit data types (except energy types).
If manually adding a data type to NPC attack line, it would be of the form: Longsword +3 melee (1d8+1 slashing/19-20)
I am setting up a mini-parser to attempt to map implicit data types. The problem is that it will never be complete, since there are over 100 unique attack names in the MM alone.

AC Effects and Touch AC (kdietri)
The AC effects were meant to be generic, but it ended up not being too hard to add a effect type check to ignore armor, shield and natural bonus types for touch AC checks.

CA / GRANTCA (kdietri)
Targeted CA and GRANTCA will be working in next cycle.

Modifier Keys for FF and Touch Attacks (kdietri)
The problem with adding modifier keys is that people are constantly forgetting which key to press, and either have to ask or look up in a note. My new solution to that problem is in the campaign modifiers window. There are now a set of buttons there that you can press to modify your attack/damage rolls.

DR and REGEN Effect Format (kdietri, Leonal)
Both the DR and REGEN formats are unique in that they require the same and/or format as they are listed in the book. I will add the "spell" damage type, which was cancelling the Solar's regen effect.

Weapon multiple separate damage types (Leonal)
Adding additional dice and damage type fields to each character weapon ended up becoming too complex in the interface, so I punted for now. The workaround is to set up a separate weapon/spell entry to apply the energy damage portion.

OH and 2H with negative STR (Leonal)
In the next cycle, the STR will be applied with a multiple of one for negative modifiers, and use the OH/2H multiple for positive modifiers.

Pathfinder Extension Interaction Errors (Leonal)
My guess is that the PF extension uses/assumes a different database value type for the spellresistance field. Try reviewing the PF extension data type (i.e. number, string, ...) vs. the base ruleset data type. There were some data type changes in the character sheet in the update.

Regards,
JPG

kdietri
June 14th, 2011, 20:05
[Bug]

NPC parsing critical range. It doesn't seem to like 19-20/x3 critical range. It always defaults to 19-20/x2

I tried typing it in a few different ways and couldn't get it to work.

I also pulled up tarrasque from the provided monsters and its attacks seem to have the same problem.

They're written 18-20/x3, but again they're defaulting to x2 damage.

Leonal
June 15th, 2011, 02:12
Pathfinder Extension Interaction Errors (Leonal)
My guess is that the PF extension uses/assumes a different database value type for the spellresistance field. Try reviewing the PF extension data type (i.e. number, string, ...) vs. the base ruleset data type. There were some data type changes in the character sheet in the update.

Regards,
JPG

I'll look into it. The error, however, persists even if I disable the extension (which uses exact copies of the most recent 3.5E files, and the main tab only changes the contents of the spot/listen/search frame).

Thanks for the great work!

Moon Wizard
June 15th, 2011, 09:04
kdietri,
I'll double-check the critical multiplier for NPCs.

Leonal,
Once the incorrect data type is in the database, it is permanently in the character record, even if you unload the extension (or update the extension). The only way to fix is to edit the db.xml directly (make sure to backup first), or delete the character record and start over.

Cheers,
JPG

kdietri
June 15th, 2011, 14:11
This one may have been mentioned earlier, if so I appologize.

[Bug]
This crit range box on the character sheet for weapons doesn't seem to work for me. No matter what's input weapons only crit on a 20.

kdietri
June 15th, 2011, 16:00
[Request]

An 'Actions Tab' on NPC's similar to PC's.
This doesnt' have to parse or autopopulate, but it would be nice to manage spells and spell-like abilities with the same level of automation as PC's have.

Forgot how many things have spells and spell-like abilities in 3.5 until I started entering them.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 04:38
New update available for v2.8 test version

Features

Token.addToken function added.
[3.5E,4E] Encounter token pre-placement functionality added.
[3.5E,4E] AFK functionality added.
[3.5E] Added stabilization roll option.
[3.5E] Ruleset will attempt to apply implicit NPC damage types.
[3.5E] Armor effects with the armor, shield or natural type will be ignored for touch AC calculations.
[4E] Added combat house rule options (more minion hp, less standard NPC hp, more standard NPC damage, less NPC defenses)

Bug Fixes

Shared windows not always fully redrawn. Fixed.
removeAllHolders function was ignoring skipowner flag for child nodes. Fixed.
onValueChanged event not being called for tokenfield and windowreferencefield controls. Fixed.
[3.5E] NPC Space/Reach and BAB/Grp fields shown on separate lines.
[3.5E] Notes window layout fixed.
[3.5E] GRANTCA effect was not being checked. Fixed
[3.5E] Ability effects were not calculating correctly for flat-footed AC. Fixed.
[3.5E] The spell damage type was not being recognized by effects. Fixed.
[3.5E] Off-hand and two-handed weapons were multiplying negative ability modifiers. Fixed.
[3.5E] CA and Invisible effects could not be targeted to specific combatants. Fixed.
[3.5E] Multiple crit confirmation rolls for a single attack. Fixed.
[3.5E] NPC damage entries with crit ranges and crit multipliers were ignoring the multiplier. Fixed.
[3.5E] NPC damage with "plus" clauses were incorrectly multiplying plus clauses on critical rolls. Fixed.
[3.5E] PC attack rolls with weapons not picking up weapon critical range. Fixed.

Cheers,
JPG

kdietri
June 16th, 2011, 04:58
That's awesome Moon_Wizard thanks a bunch!!

If at any point I get annoying, just tell me to shut up.

[Request]
Targetable Grappling. So you can either target all your opponents you're not grappling and they attack the creatures FF AC, or you target the creature you are grappling and everyone but that creature targets your FF AC.

[Request]
Individual SAVE Effects: Effects that apply to individual save roles such as FORT: REF: WILL.

[Request]
Targetable AC, and SAVE: For those certain effects such as protection from evil, where the bonuses only apply against certain creatures. Would also work nicely with the Dodge feat.

[Request]
dodge modifier type. applies to AC, and Touch AC, but not FF AC.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 06:49
No worries. I really appreciate the help with testing.

I mainly try to work in the requests that I can see an easy way to provide, or are not working the way I want.

The grappling one is the only one that I'm not sure about being able to work in easily. I try to avoid major fiddling in the effects code, since it's likely to create other issues.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
June 16th, 2011, 13:07
It would be kinda nice if the GM had an 'IP' command that gave them the connection info for the game without having to unload the game to obtain it... if it's easy to code as a command line thing... it's probably useful.. it is clunky when you have to bring down the server to get the IP for this purpose.

Blackfoot
June 16th, 2011, 13:18
Multiple Characters on the Client side is still not working correctly. You can switch back and forth a couple times and then the first character (the most one most to the left) stops responding. The GM can open the character sheet but the player/client can no longer interact with that icon. Opening an additional character seems to temporarily correct the problem but then it seems to start up again.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 19:39
Blackfoot,

When I want to get the IP address while I'm running a game, I just start up another instance of FG to view the launcher screen. As long as you don't load/join, it won't impact your current game at all.

Let me look into the multiple character switching. I have not seen that yet myself.

Regards,
JPG

demonsbane
June 16th, 2011, 21:21
I'm using the GURPS ruleset with the GURPS 4 Enhanced extension.

An issue that I just found with this configuration and the current test version 2.8 is that Library entries aren't easy to pick and move with the left mouse button, as before: seemingly I need to hold the mouse pointer in the upper limit of the window's frame of the Library entry -more or less in its title- for being able to actually move it. Otherwise they are unmovable for me.

EDIT: sometimes it works by dragging the entries from one of its borders, but this behavior seems to be a bit fickle.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 21:32
Demonsbane,

Can you send me an example module with some library entries for GURPS to [email protected]?

I will try and reproduce here.

Thanks,
JPG

kdietri
June 16th, 2011, 21:37
[Request]
On defences tab (shield button) of the CT. It'd be nice if the 'special line' populated for npc's with things like uncanny dodge, evasion, improved uncanny dodge, improved evasion etc.

It'd be nice if these abilities were also listed as at least text only effects for informational purposes.

demonsbane
June 16th, 2011, 21:56
(. . .) I will try and reproduce here.

Of course. Thank you.

-

Another thing: concerning Library entries, the frame rate dip (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14466&highlight=behavior) or degradation on graphics performance in the app still is there despite the added improvements to window list drawing speed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=107973&postcount=11).

It went down from 60 FPS -displaying no library entries- to 23 FPS -displaying 7 library entries. I'm testing this in two well capable machines so far.

kdietri
June 16th, 2011, 23:40
[3.5E] Ruleset will attempt to apply implicit NPC damage types.

[BUG]
Can no longer manually input implicit damage types to attacks. DMGTYPE: spell is not accepted as an implicit damage type for npc's.

kdietri
June 17th, 2011, 01:10
[Bug]
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, or if it's intentional, but clients can't open the modifier button in the top right.

Blackfoot
June 17th, 2011, 09:45
[request]
I realize this is probably the wrong time and place to ask for this, what with you trying to track down bugs for the new release... but here goes anyway.

In the BRP ruleset there's a property 'untrained' for certain skills and if that property is set to 'true' those skills do not show up on your skill list. Does this seem like a good idea for 3.5E.. for skills that cannot be defaulted? I guess it might require additional code beyond just 'hiding' the untrained skills.. but.. it would be nice to have some sort of way of identifying skills that cannot be attempted if the PC does not have at least one rank in them.

Moon Wizard
June 17th, 2011, 19:26
kdietri,

Damage Types (kdietri)
I don't think I understand the issue.

For NPC attack lines, you can enter damage types on the attack line.
* +3 longspear +23 melee (1d8+9/x3 plus 1d6 fire)
* Electricity ray +19 ranged touch (2d8 electricity)
* JPG weapon +8 melee (1d20+5/18-20/x3 slashing,piercing plus 1d6 fire plus 1d6 cold)

To add a damage type to all attacks, you can enter an effect on the CT with the damage type to add.
* DMGTYPE: good,epic
* DMGTYPE: magic

Special Defenses (kdietri)
If you are looking for visibility of Uncanny Dodge and Evasion, it seems like effects would be better. However, I'm not sure if everyone would want them to auto-populate the effects section. I might wait on this.

Modifier Box For Clients (kdietri)
Reproduced.

Untrained skill visibility (Blackfoot)
Where are you expecting the skills to be hidden (on the main sheet or on the mini sheet)?
If the mini sheet, my concern is that there is already a checkbox on the main sheet to determine whether skills are visible on the mini sheet. So, it would have to be something more subtle, like the checkbox is not turned on by default for untrained skills.
If the main sheet, I don't have any good ideas, since it would require multiple views (like the spells tab) which is too complex for a quick patch.

Cheers,
JPG

kdietri
June 17th, 2011, 20:11
kdietri,

Damage Types (kdietri)
I don't think I understand the issue.

For NPC attack lines, you can enter damage types on the attack line.
* +3 longspear +23 melee (1d8+9/x3 plus 1d6 fire)
* Electricity ray +19 ranged touch (2d8 electricity)
* JPG weapon +8 melee (1d20+5/18-20/x3 slashing,piercing plus 1d6 fire plus 1d6 cold)

To add a damage type to all attacks, you can enter an effect on the CT with the damage type to add.
* DMGTYPE: good,epic
* DMGTYPE: magic

Maybe it's just me then, but adding damage types makes thing go wonky a bit.

Before the last update where you got it to parse the implicit damage types I could add damage types just as you did above, but now it goes wonky.

Eg.

"Greatsword +1 melee (2d6/19-20): comes out as slashing
"Greatsword +1 melee (2d6/19-20 fire)" comes out as fire only damage.
"Greatsword +1 melee (2d6/19-20 fire, lawful)" comes out as slashing only.

And it doesn't like spell for some reason.

Eg.

"Fireball +0 ranged (5d6 fire)" works fine
"Fireball +0 ranged (5d6 fire, spell)" Comes out as untyped.

I hope that's more clear.

Blackfoot
June 17th, 2011, 20:22
Untrained skill visibility (Blackfoot)
Where are you expecting the skills to be hidden (on the main sheet or on the mini sheet)?
If the mini sheet, my concern is that there is already a checkbox on the main sheet to determine whether skills are visible on the mini sheet. So, it would have to be something more subtle, like the checkbox is not turned on by default for untrained skills.
If the main sheet, I don't have any good ideas, since it would require multiple views (like the spells tab) which is too complex for a quick patch.

Cheers,
JPG
I guess 'hidden' is the wrong word.. 'removed' or 'ignored' is probably more appropriate. For skills that the character doesn't have if they don't have them it makes their sheet a little cleaner... stuff like 'Disable Device' for non-rogues. They do it in the BRP code with a fairly simple check in the charsheet_skilllist.lua file.. in

function constructDefaultSkills()

where it does the check:

if not matches then

they do:
if (not matches) and (not t.untrained) then

then in your DataCommon for the skills you add in

untrained=true

for those skills that shouldn't be added... this seems to work.. but ...
... I'm no expert coder or anything ... I'm testing it out to see if it breaks anything.

Like I said.. it's probably the wrong place and time to be talking about this suggestion because there are several ramifications to it. Skills get removed and then need to be 'readded' later if the character wishes to learn them... so how does that get handled... stuff like that. The BRP code handles it pretty smoothly so I was surprised it wasn't part of the standard... something to think about for next time maybe if it isn't just as simple as adding the lines of code listed above.

EDIT: OK.. it does seem to work.. but I think they have an additional line somewhere that turns it back into a standard skill somehow once it has been trained.. I'll have to keep looking.
EDIT: With this code it turns it back to a standard skill (including secondary blank if available) after a 'reload' of the campaign... not perfect.. but not that bad.

EDIT: It might be just as easy to add a widget to reflect the type of skill or some bit of code that prevents the skill from being rolled if there are no ranks in it... probably both of those last two ideas would be the most elegant. That way all the standard skills are listed on the sheet and can be added by anyone without difficulty or complexity... and the skills still work correctly if you try and click them.. you can't because you don't have the skill. It does mean a bit more sheet clutter though... and the BRP solution seems fairly simple... it isn't THAT hard to add a skill in (right click and type the name) if it isn't on your list... it becomes a little more tricky for skills like 'Knowledge' that have secondaries...

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2011, 00:50
I think I'm going to go with the simple approach on the skills, and make it so that untrained skills are not shown on the mini sheet by default. I'm hesitant to not create the skill entries for untrained skills by default, since people looking for those skills could be confused as to why they are missing. As you say, a longer discussion.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 18th, 2011, 01:03
kdietri,

Found the issue. Most damage types on NPC lines are single types, so I didn't see the issue until your example showed me your multi-type use.

Thanks,
JPG

kdietri
June 18th, 2011, 17:18
kdietri,

Found the issue. Most damage types on NPC lines are single types, so I didn't see the issue until your example showed me your multi-type use.

Thanks,
JPG

Great, I'm sorry if I was confusing in earlier posts.

Moon Wizard
June 19th, 2011, 00:03
No worries. I just appreciate all the help, and want to make sure I get as much as I can smoothed away for the 3.5E / Pathfinder crowd while I am working on the update specific to that ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
June 19th, 2011, 06:22
Regarding my Spell Resistance error earlier in the thread here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=109744&postcount=51).
I'm not sure if it's related to 2.8 or the Pathfinder extension (which doesn't even touch the area related to SR), but I've only seen it there.
First time I saw it was on a character that was ported from d20_JPG, but was fixed after removing a number Pathfinder-extension-only box.
Second time was in a newly created character in 3.5E (with my PF extension).

I looked through the db.xml file and the character giving the error had its SR defenses listed like this:

<defenses>
<holder name="Arkamit 99" owner="true" />
<sr>
<base type="number">0</base>
<misc type="number">0</misc>
<total>
</total>
</sr>
</defenses>

and characters without error like this:

<defenses>
<sr>
<base type="number">0</base>
<misc type="number">0</misc>
<temporary type="number">0</temporary>
<total type="number">0</total>
</sr>
</defenses>

I'm assuming this is the related part in the database as it's the only I could find that dealt with SR, and I'm not sure why only one character would be different.

Btw, are there, or is it possible to have spoiler tags on this forum? I find them handy when posting longer posts that may only deal with isolated cases. :)

edit: I should mention that if I replace the upper part that gave the error with the lower one, the error goes away.

Moon Wizard
June 19th, 2011, 10:44
Perfect. Your database sleuthing was just what I needed. I think it's a case where the PC was added to the CT, before the combat tab on the character sheet was opened; which revealed the bug. However, a patch will be in next cycle.

Thanks,
JPG

hazardousindex
June 19th, 2011, 16:39
Thanks for the great update! Keep up the good work!

The lack of automation in the 3.5 ruleset was the only thing stopping me from starting up a Pathfinder game. (I have become spoiled by the lightning-fast combat in the exquisite 4E ruleset.)

Fantasy Grounds = The Best.

Leonal
June 19th, 2011, 23:11
[Suggestion]
Add a check-box or similar next to the die roll modifier so the modifier will be applied to all rolls.
I know my players would enjoy that when they have bonuses that last just a few rounds, but are applied to multiple rolls (e.g. a bard's inspire courage).
Would that be difficult to implement?

edit: Or that player's can manage effects on their own character(s) in the combat tracker.

For example I have a player barbarian who always adds bonuses from rage and/or bull's strength etc. ad-hoc when he has them. While I could turn on/off effects to reflect this I prefer to have my player's control their characters. At least when they are the ones who apply the bonus.

Thanks for the updates and good that the bug was found.
-Leo

Sorcerer
June 20th, 2011, 17:50
Quick Question

When you released FG v2.7, you found it necessary (can't remember the exact reasons now) to put out a 2.7 patch for the CoC ruleset.

I always enable it, but I was just wondering if it is still necessary under v2.8 or whether it is now obsolete.

Sorcerer
June 20th, 2011, 20:29
found an interesting issue

when you close an adventure module the entries disappear, but the category tabs do not. They remain (along with their tool tip titles) until FG is closed and reopened.

This happens with the CoC, BRP, CnC and SW rulesets, but not 3.5E

DNH
June 22nd, 2011, 10:04
This happens with the CoC, BRP, CnC and SW rulesets, but not 3.5E
This happens with 4e too, I believe. That is, I think that was the behaviour I saw momentarily when I briefly test ran the 2.8 version.

DNH
June 22nd, 2011, 10:25
New update available for v2.8 test version

Features

[4E] Added combat house rule options (more minion hp, less standard NPC hp, more standard NPC damage, less NPC defenses)

Could I ask you to take a moment or two to elaborate on these options. What exactly does each one of them do? Having spent two-and-a-half hours on one combat encounter in our last session (admittedly, it was our first 4e game in 14 months), I am looking for ways to improve combat speed. Are these implementations of recommendations from a recent Dragon article, or something similar?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2011, 18:39
DNH,

The combat options that I added are common house rule options that I have seen in multiple locations on the Internet. Essentially, they are primarily ones that I was interested in adding to my game. The general consensus is that fights are so long because NPC hit points are too high.

The typical faster combat house rule I have seen is 1/2 standard NPC hp, and +1/2 level damage.

In my game, I have been winging it with 3/4 standard NPC hp and -2 defenses. However, I think that the healer has been bored lately, so I really think the increased damage is important. I also have felt that minions are a joke, and so easy to kill that our wizard doesn't get to show off all his flashy powers before they are dead.

There are 4 options:

* NPC: Decrease standard HP
This option decreases the hit points of NPCs, usually to coincide with increased damage. This is the primary driver of how long fights last. Does not apply to minions.

* NPC: Increase minion HP
This option increases minion hit points. Since they have more than 1 hit point, then you don't need to worry about the miss exception for minions. Just apply damage, even on miss.

* NPC: Increase standard damage
This option increases the damage of NPCs by half their level, usually to coincide with reduced hit points. Does not apply to minions.

* NPC: Reduce defenses
This option allows you to decrease the defenses by 2 in order to adapt to parties that aren't optimally geared.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2011, 18:41
Sorcerer,

I don't remember why I made the CoC patch either (at least until I can look it up).

My guess, right now, is that the patch was for some ruleset code that needed to migrate, so it's probably still needed. From my faint memory, I thought it was related to the notes system.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2011, 19:16
Leonal,

The players should be able to set up effects using the spells section that they can apply to themselves. Once I finally get a chance to work on the manual, I plan to add examples like Barbarian Rage.

Here is an example of the steps to create Barbarian Rage:

* On Actions tab, right click to add a new spell class.
* Set the name to Barbarian.
* Set the number of Level 1 spells to the number of times per day that the barbarian can rage.
* On the new Level 1 label, right click and choose Add Spell.
* Set the name of the spell to Rage.

* Right click on the spell and choose Add Spell Action -> Add Effect.
* Click on TRGT button in the new effect window to change it to SELF.
* Set the effect text to "STR: 4; CON: 4; SAVE: 2 will morale; AC: -2"
* Click the drop-down arrow next to duration box
* Enter the duration of the rage effect next to the RND box

* Right click on the spell and choose Add Spell Action -> Add Effect
* Click on TRGT button to change to SELF.
* Set the effect text to "Fatigued"

Now, your barbarian has a spell on his Actions tab where he can apply rage to himself, and Fatigued when it expires.

Regards,
JPG

kdietri
June 22nd, 2011, 19:37
[Issues]

Target: Remove on miss functionality

Works with missed attacks targeting multiple creatures, but it doesn't deselect targeted creatures who successfully save vs. a character's spells when multiple creatures are targeted by the save. Not sure if that was planned, but it'd be nice if it worked like that.

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2011, 19:41
(once again somewhat off topic)
What are the odds of any of this cool 2.8 CT stuff eventually porting over into the BRP ruleset?

Particularly the targeting functions... I assume that piece is pretty complex... I've been looking at building this type of thing as an extension.. but.. I guess I'm not really sure where to begin.
It is somewhat unfortunate that many of these 'guts' sorts of things aren't more generic to the whole FG system... The features that are getting added to 3.5 (and 4 for that matter) are very nice.

On a separate note... has anything been done in 2.8 to improve the handling of token stacking? This is a regular problem for us in every ruleset we play with.
I probably need to play with this piece a bit more in 2.8 to see what's going on there...

kdietri
June 22nd, 2011, 19:52
[Bug]
The eraser tool in the map tools, (top left corner of the map) is not working, as far as I can tell.

Everything else (in th map tools section that is) seems to be working fine.

Moon Wizard
June 22nd, 2011, 20:59
kdietri,

* The remove on miss targeting option only applies to attack rolls, not saves. Since the saves are actually rolled by the target, it's a little bit harder to access the targeting information. I'll see if it's possible.

* The eraser tool appears to be working for me. The way the eraser tool works is that you draw a circle around the area you want to erase with the eraser tool selected. If this is not working, then perhaps I need some more detail.

Blackfoot,

BRP is a community ruleset, so any modifications or extensions would be done by the community developers. As I have been adding features to the 3.5E and 4E rulesets, I do try to segment them in a way that is easier to add to other rulesets, but there is also a lot of legacy code in both FG and the rulesets to support.

Also, there are areas of the product that need an overhaul, and targeting is definitely one of them. The overhaul is on my list for future versions.

Cheers,
JPG

Blackfoot
June 22nd, 2011, 23:40
Community? I'm confused.
I thought it was available for sale along with the other rulesets.

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2011, 01:06
You're right, my fault, I looked through the store list too fast.

For the rulesets other than 3.5E/4E, they are maintained by the developers who worked with us to develop them. I believe that the user Foen is the developer for the BRP ruleset. I would try sending Foen a message or posting on the BRP forum to see what plans, if any, there are for updating the BRP ruleset.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2011, 01:09
In the process of posting a refresh of v2.8 test release

Windows containing formattedtextcontrols will no longer continuously redraw (i.e. library windows).
Added client throttling to prevent file requests from being dropped.
Objects in upper left corner would become unclickable. (i.e. portraits) Fixed.
Read-only strings were accepting drag selection events. Fixed.
Unable to view/edit local characters. Fixed.
Category tabs for module data with an empty mergeid would remain after module unloaded. Fixed.
[LAUNCHER] When creating a campaign and changing ruleset selections, the selection highlight was not cleared. Fixed.
[LAUNCHER] Download status bar was not updating. Fixed.
[3.5E,4E] Effects added to NPCs when added to CT will no longer be echoed to chat window.
[3.5E,4E] FG crashes when host exits before clients and CT is open on client. Fixed.
[3.5E] Added CC effect (crit confirmation modifier)
[3.5E] Added effect target support to SAVE effects.
[3.5E] Added Partial Cover (PCOVER) (+2 AC) effect
[3.5E] Added all cover options to modifier window.
[3.5E] Added circumstance as effect bonus type.
[3.5E] Ability modifiers are now able to be used to define effect duration (not just CL).
[3.5E] Untrained skills will no longer be shown on mini sheet by default.
[3.5E] Healing now applies single roll to multiple targets.
[3.5E] AC effects with the dodge type will no longer be applied to flat-footed targets.
[3.5E] Changed 'Grappling' effect to 'Grappled'.
[3.5E] Uncanny Dodge and Evasion added to auto-parsed GM effects for NPCs.
[3.5E] If spell CL checks are failed or spell saves are successful, targets will be removed according to remove target option.
[3.5E] Clients unable to open modifiers window. Fixed.
[3.5E] Cover from modifier button and from effects could overlap. Fixed.
[3.5E] Effects would sometimes be applied twice. Fixed.
[3.5E] Specific SAVE effect types were not working. (i.e. SAVE: 2 will) Fixed.
[3.5E] Multiple damage types in NPC attack lines were not working. Fixed.
[3.5E] Characters added to CT before opening combat tab could get corrupted. Fixed.
[3.5E] Ability effect modifiers not being multiplied on critical. Fixed.
[3.5E] When remove target option set, target would be removed on failed crit confirmation roll. Fixed.
[3.5E] On caster level checks vs. targets, the result would indicator failure if equal to SR. Fixed.
[DEV] windowlist.setColumnWidth documented.

Cheers,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 23rd, 2011, 01:10
Moving test feedback to new thread, so I don't have to page so much. :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14859

Regards,
JPG

Rashek
August 4th, 2011, 05:25
On the list of Effects there is CA and GRANTCA, what is CA? I can't remember seeing this in 3.5 (other than complete arcane)

Leonal
August 4th, 2011, 05:48
I think it's a 4e term, Combat Advantage, which in 3.5/PF is being flat-footed.

See the library for more details.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/userguide35E/ref_effects_35E.xcp

There is however very little that makes a target flat footed besides not having acted in combat yet. Denying Dex modifier on the other hand is more common.

Iceman
April 22nd, 2012, 19:34
Where is the 'manual' that you reference?
I use /exportchar to generate an XML file that works great but then I use /importchar and try to import the SAME file I just outputted and nothing happens!

As always, please make a backup of your campaign before opening with a test release.

Last update: June 15, 2011

Thanks again to the whole community for helping me get the new version tested before release. Given our limited resources, this helps us get the best application out the door.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Due to all the great feedback, I will be creating multiple threads as needed to handle the volume.

Thanks,
JPG

Trenloe
April 22nd, 2012, 22:06
Where is the 'manual' that you reference?
I use /exportchar to generate an XML file that works great but then I use /importchar and try to import the SAME file I just outputted and nothing happens!Are you using /importchar back into the same campaign or a new one? If it is the same campaign then you won't see anything new as you'll be importing a character that is already there. If it is a different campaign, make sure it is of the same ruleset with the same extensions enabled (if you have extensions that impact the character record).

Iceman
April 23rd, 2012, 19:31
I was using importchar and couldnt get it to work for whatever reason, even though the extensions were the same.
Now I can exportchar and then change the characters name and instead of importchar I just use import to bring the same character back in.

I guess I still have to log on as someone else in order to "lock" the character from being picked up by others. The ultimate goal is to have some method of seeing what changes my players made so that I dont have to review the ENTIRE character everytime we play. I had originally thought if I could import into PCGEN each week, check the character (PCGEN has some form of character tracking) and then export him back out to FG it would work. But PCGEN has no ability to import and from what I have tried and others have reported on the forums it appears that PCGEN's export to FG either doesnt work or is spotty at best.

Are you using /importchar back into the same campaign or a new one? If it is the same campaign then you won't see anything new as you'll be importing a character that is already there. If it is a different campaign, make sure it is of the same ruleset with the same extensions enabled (if you have extensions that impact the character record).

Trenloe
April 23rd, 2012, 20:48
Yeah, it's a bit of a problem trying to keep track of what changes players make to their characters in FG.

At the moment, the only way I know of is to get into the XML itself. This isn't as bad as it sounds. One way to do this would be:

Download the free editor Notepad++ from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Install and add the "Compare" and "XML Tools" plugins. The Compare plugin may already be there and the XML Tools plugins is not strictly needed, but it is nice to have.
Export your character XML using /exportchar from before and after changes were made by the players.
Load both XML files into Notepad++
Select "Plugins" ;> "Compare" -> "Compare"
Check the differences highlighted.

At first this may look like a bunch of gobbledegook to you, but just spend a bit of time looking through the XML tags and structure (Notepad++ allows you to open and close cascaded tags to make it easier to view).

For example, here is the start of a character, showing 2 of the abilitiy scores (Charisma and Constitution):

<character>
<abilities>
<charisma>
<bonus type="number">2</bonus>
<bonusmodifier type="number">0</bonusmodifier>
<damage type="number">0</damage>
<score type="number">14</score>
</charisma>
<constitution>
<bonus type="number">3</bonus>
<score type="number">16</score>
</constitution>

Not as nice as doing this in PCGen or something similar - but it does the job *and* it doesn't rely on compatibility with another 3rd party app, you are working directly against the raw FG character data.

Iceman
April 23rd, 2012, 23:44
Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for!
Still a real shame that FG doesnt handle any aspect of character management or recordkeeping. Combat is the most frequent part of many games, but managing and maintaining characters always takes a lot more time. The program would be much more valuable if it included some management features internal.

But thank you again...as long as the changes are not too sweeping I will be able to use notepad++ and a bit of manual work with PCGEN to get the job done.

Yeah, it's a bit of a problem trying to keep track of what changes players make to their characters in FG.

At the moment, the only way I know of is to get into the XML itself. This isn't as bad as it sounds. One way to do this would be:

Download the free editor Notepad++ from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/
Install and add the "Compare" and "XML Tools" plugins. The Compare plugin may already be there and the XML Tools plugins is not strictly needed, but it is nice to have.
Export your character XML using /exportchar from before and after changes were made by the players.
Load both XML files into Notepad++
Select "Plugins" ;> "Compare" -> "Compare"
Check the differences highlighted.

At first this may look like a bunch of gobbledegook to you, but just spend a bit of time looking through the XML tags and structure (Notepad++ allows you to open and close cascaded tags to make it easier to view).

For example, here is the start of a character, showing 2 of the abilitiy scores (Charisma and Constitution):

<character>
<abilities>
<charisma>
<bonus type="number">2</bonus>
<score type="number">14</score>
</charisma>
<constitution>
<bonus type="number">3</bonus>
<score type="number">16</score>
</constitution>

Not as nice as doing this in PCGen or something similar - but it does the job *and* it doesn't rely on compatibility with another 3rd party app, you are working directly against the raw FG character data.

LuckyRob
June 20th, 2012, 09:17
Is it possible to define new damage types in the 4E ruleset beyond the core (fire, lightning, thunder, etc)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Zeus
June 20th, 2012, 19:55
Is it possible to define new damage types in the 4E ruleset beyond the core (fire, lightning, thunder, etc)?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hmm, old thread to resurrect :)

To answer the question yes, it should be possible however you will either need to edit the ruleset or write an extension to update the damage types. Unpack and take a look at the scripts/data_common.lua script. Look for the dmgtypes table.

Bidmaron
October 26th, 2012, 02:23
DB: addHolder, export, getHolders, getText, getValue, import, isReadOnly, removeHolder, removeAllHolders, setValue
databasenode: getText, isReadOnly
formattedtextcontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate

When you have a formattedtext database node, do you get the control characters that format the text (e.g. the tags for underline, bold, etc)? Do you get these tags with getText, getValue, or both?
Can you control text formatting by using setValue?
I cannot find any documentation for formattedtextcontrol in the Ruleset reference.

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2012, 19:45
getText() will return the text information without any formatting, other than line breaks between paragraphs.

getValue() will return the formatted text in the underlying XML format used by FG to save/restore the data.

setValue() requires that the value data be in the same XML format used by FG to save/restore the data.

There is no documentation for the underlying XML format. Your best approach is to create examples of formatted text you want to create in a new campaign, save the campaign, then view the campaign db.xml data. It's basically a very restricted and simple version of HTML formatting.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
October 27th, 2012, 23:24
There is no documentation for the underlying XML format. Your best approach is to create examples of formatted text you want to create in a new campaign, save the campaign, then view the campaign db.xml data. It's basically a very restricted and simple version of HTML formatting.
There was this thread from last year - I presume things haven't changed much from this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14323

Bidmaron
October 27th, 2012, 23:58
What about the documentation for formattedtextcontrol? That is not in the ruleset reference.

Thanks, JPG and Trenloe for the other information -- most useful.

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2012, 01:45
Actually, I apparently already documented everything. It just didn't get linked into the menu.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/formattedtextcontrol.xcp

Regards,
JPG

Bidmaron
October 28th, 2012, 03:55
Looks like the formattedtextfield is also missing. Thanks, JPG!

Bidmaron
October 28th, 2012, 16:01
Currently, the orphaned formattedtextcontrol documentation documents only isEditMode, SetEditMode, and setFocus. It does not document your added onHover routines. Since it only inherits from windowcontrol, there is also no documentation on SetValue, GetValue, SetText, or GetText. Are those functions in existence or are they just not documented? (or is there some inheritance I'm just not seeing?)