PDA

View Full Version : Dice

DukeLeto
June 3rd, 2011, 04:02
I have a player who is constantly having problems with his dice. Either they will roll off of the chat box, which results in the roll not being sent, and sometimes he will just drop it on top of the chat window and the roll isn't sent.

Has anyone had a similar problem in the past?

Leonal
June 3rd, 2011, 06:44
In my experience sometimes a result is not sent, but then in most of those cases it's just lag and it will pop up in seconds/minutes.

If he rolls off the table tell him to aim better and release the dice over the marked chatbox (not the entry box) area. ;) (Or roll by typing "/die XdY" where X is the number of dice and Y is the type)

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 07:28
The dice need to be released over the center section of the chat window where the chat entries appear. (not to close to the edges or near the chat entry box)

Which ruleset are you using?

Regards,
JPG

DukeLeto
June 3rd, 2011, 13:27
We are using the OSRIC ruleset, and he is the only player with the problem.

I'll ask him to make sure he is dropping it over the text area of the chat, not the entry area, but I think he is doing it correctly.

Moon Wizard
June 3rd, 2011, 18:00
Strange, it should be the same for every user, so I'm not sure what is happening in his situation.

He can try just dropping the dice, instead of flinging them, to see if it is a general dice drop issue; or related to flinging them.

Thanks,
JPG

Darkaine
June 3rd, 2011, 19:48
The player in question would be me although one of our other players is having the issue some too. I have tried just dropping the dice right in the middle of the window where the text is displayed and the dice act like everything is fine down to the point of dissolving but the roll doesn't show in the window. It seems like when it does work the dice don't dissolve either but the roll shows in the window.

I will try to play around with it some more and see if I can get it to work more consistently.

Also can I burn the dice somehow that came with my program and replace them, I rolled 4 straight 1's last night on a d20 :(

Valarian
June 3rd, 2011, 20:27
Is the focus on the FG2 window when you do this? Do ALT-TAB to the FG2 window, then try.
Could be a DirectX thing with the window focus.

phantomwhale
June 4th, 2011, 00:31
I've had a player (using the SWEX ruleset) who has encountered this problem. Dice rolled from the sheet, as well as hotkey dice, just were not being registered.

I make him roll again, and often they do appear, but it's furstrating for him as many of his rolls just vanish.

This has happened quite a few times, and always to the same player, so I wonder if it's a network thing (although he is usually one of the more stable players, connection-wise).

As I've had nothing solid to report, I've not really reported it before, but I'm wondering if this issue isn't similar.

Doswelk
June 4th, 2011, 07:54
The only time I think this has happened to me is when I have text on the chat line and rather than the die result showing in the chat window a die icon is just added to the chat entry line

XpressO
June 4th, 2011, 08:51
While on the topic, I had an unusual 'bug' the other day that got automatically fixed somehown. I fired up FG with 4E and just began rolling dice on the table (not chat). Every roll went up towards the top of the screen no matter how I rolled the dice. Even picking up the dice and droppin it without moving mouse sent them flying. The focus was on the program all the time.

I am one of those who leave their computer up and running for days and weeks. I've had issues with dice being laggy before (whether hosting or just toying around) and always a reboot has solved them issues, so yet again I rebooted my computer and the problem was solved. Don't know if that'll help anyone having problems with dice, just wanted to mention this if there are people having these problems who tend to leave their computers up and running :)

phantomwhale
June 4th, 2011, 10:17
The only time I think this has happened to me is when I have text on the chat line and rather than the die result showing in the chat window a die icon is just added to the chat entry line

That's what I thought it was, but apparently the chat was clear. And Alt-tab focus was fine too.

Moon Wizard
June 4th, 2011, 16:35
Any more detail that you guys have on the players experiencing this issue?

* FG version
* OS version
* Ruleset
* Extensions

Unless I can figure a way to reproduce locally, it's going to be unlikely that I can nail this one down.

Also, it could potentially be a network issue. When a user posts a chat message, it does not actually appear in any chat window until the host receives it and relays it to all users. So, if the die throw information is getting dropped somehow, then nothing will appear. You might try having your player look at the random disconnect thread by primarch:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14288

Also, you can turn on network logging by starting FG with the -n command line argument on v2.8. It will dump a list of packets sent/received. That way, when it occurs, you can stop, save off the console.log files and see whether it is a network issue.

Regards,
JPG

Regards,
JPG