PDA

View Full Version : Practice Needed

MeganHunter
June 2nd, 2011, 18:41
Good morning, I've only seen Fantasy Grounds from the DM side, so I haven't had the fun of actually playing yet. I just read Lazarus' thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14218) on short scenario introductions and I'm definitely going to try that, but I already know that I'll be hungry for a long term campaign. I don't mind buying rulebooks ect in that case.

I'm DMing a homegrown campaign now, and I realized as I was cobbling together the ruleset that I'm a bit out of practice. When I was growing up, all of the pen & paper I essentially played were D&D 2cd Edition. It turns out that a lot has changed! I've seen 3, 3.5 and 4 through computer games, but it's pretty different when you're the one rolling for AC instead of clicking a button. My experience with GURPS, Shadowrun ect is just word of mouth or sometimes one shots. (For 2cd I was one of those nerds that owned all the books, mostly from Forgotten Realms.)

I'm not proud: I need practice not only with the features of the FG engine, but with a new system itself. If that was 3.5, it would help me get a grasp on both the D&D MMO and Neverwinter Nights 2, but it's not necessary if it's even a D&D ruleset I join. I run my own using skype, so we don't even use many of the features Fantasy Grounds has to offer: I'm hoping to find a chat based game so I can see all the bells and whistles in effect. It'd also be nice to use a character sheet that's scripted and interacts well with the table; I'm using a basic sheet for my custom game, and I'm grateful for it, but when I saw the 3.5 and 4 sheets I did get a little jealous of the automation. I think I'd be okay with following the letter of the rules this time around.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a customization junkie. Things like prestige class combinations and level planning turn me on a lot more than "you're a fighter," so I don't think I'm looking for something as simple as C&C or Basic. My own campaign is pretty simple, I think I could use some more complexity in my life. I can roleplay as little or as much as your group likes.

I also might be losing a player or two to the maternity ward, so if that happens I can bring you into my campaign as well (if you don't mind talking over voip.) Thankey kindly,

~Megan

CAPryde
June 2nd, 2011, 21:11
I'm always happy to add people to any of my Savage Worlds games. Currently I run Deadlands on Mondays and I'm trying to have a once-or-twice a month Necropolis Sunday fling; you would be welcome to join either. I'm pretty good at teaching the system quickly, and I have done a bit of writing for both settings, so I know what I'm doing pretty well.

If you are interested, just search for my name on the Game Calendar.