PDA

View Full Version : Another New Player

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 01:09
Hello,

I'm new to RPG's and to FG. I don't know anyone who plays locally so I thought I would give this a try. I've seen a lot of new players interested in 4E which would be fine for me. Though I have read most people enjoy 3.5E better. I do not really know the difference.

I am not sure what I need to start (other than the FG program). What materials do I need to get into the game? (rulebooks, etc.)

Thank you

ronnke
June 2nd, 2011, 01:22
What style of game are you looking for?

I run a space opera style campaign (Traveller) and a cyberpunk campaign (Shadowrun). Both are played using the GURPS ruleset.

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 03:35
I was looking more for 3.5 or 4 d&d. Shadowrun does sound cool though/

I was looking for 3.5e rulebooks online, but don't know which books to buy.

CAPryde
June 2nd, 2011, 04:00
What timezone are you in? I run some Savage Worlds games, which are easy for D&D players to pick up.

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 04:02
I'm in central US time zone. I am open to play weekends mostly. Sunday nights would probably be the best.

CAPryde
June 2nd, 2011, 14:36
I run an occasional Sunday game that you would be welcome to join. I think there are usually a few every-week Sunday campaigns going on, too.

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 14:41
I was going to get a lite FG license. Is this all I need? Do I need to buy rulesets from the store? or rulebooks?

I've seen a lot of talk about the parser to get DDI info into the game. Is this just for DM's or does it help players? is there a FAQ about this, I've looked through the forums and wiki but didn't see what I was looking for.

I know nothing about playing a pen and paper RPG, I've only played rpg video games (neverwinter, etc.).

dlinacre
June 2nd, 2011, 15:52
If you're just planning on playing and not DMing, then you just need the lite license - no rulesets or anything else - just the license. The DMs buy the rulesets (out of the kindness of their hearts), and during play you should have access to all the pertinent parts through a special button called 'library'.

Happy gaming!

CAPryde
June 2nd, 2011, 15:53
A lite license is all you need to join games; it will not allow you to run your own games (not that big a deal; since you are brand new, running your own games would probably be a bit ambitious at this point).

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 15:58
thanks for all the replies. I really appreciate the help.

As far as learning to play, is it best to just jump into a game to learn or are there other reading material I should look at? For example, the official rulebooks

CAPryde, what time is your sunday game and how often. every other week wouldn't be bad for me

dlinacre
June 2nd, 2011, 16:43
I think it depends on who you play with. Some DM's might want you to know the basics before you play, others might be happy you coming to them green.

For the game I DM in, I've produced a single page A4 sheet with the core mechanics of the rules on there. The nitty gritty rules, I, like many other DMs will be happy for people to learn as they play.

I've seen a few single-session trial games advertised on the forums here. Many of them don't even need a lite license to play, so you could decide whether you like the software before you buy. They're run specifically for people to have a go and see if they like playing 3.5e or Savage Worlds or whatever before they settle down long term. Give one of those a go and see!

Griogre
June 2nd, 2011, 18:36
Like dlinacre saids many GM's don't care if you are new in beginning games where the characters are low level or low skilled.

Jark
June 2nd, 2011, 19:47
Thanks again for the info. I may have to try out one of those trial games

CAPryde
June 2nd, 2011, 21:07
I'm trying to run the Sunday game once or twice a month (I run a regular weekly game during the day on Mondays), and I am in your timezone--CDT. If you are interested in my Sunday game, go to the Game Calendar, search for "Necropolis" or my name, and sign up. Then you will get a notice next time I schedule a session, which will probably be a week from Sunday.