PDA

View Full Version : Deus Vult!

Valarian
May 30th, 2011, 18:03
Thinking of running a Deus Vult campaign at some point but I'm not sure whether to go the whole hog and run the game as written (base rules of RuneQuest II), or to just run it as a setting for Cthulhu Dark Ages. I've got the Call of Cthulhu ruleset already and have already run a Cthulhu Dark Ages game.

Is the BRP ruleset that different?
Which do people here think would be the better ruleset for the job (or is that a silly question in the BRP forum)?

This game must happen ... God wills it!

Sorcerer
May 30th, 2011, 19:31
I would say that Cthulhu is a Modified BRP system, Runequest rules are more in line with BRP (or maybe it is better to say that BRP [as an independent system] evolved out of Runequest)
Although to be fair I have never played the "modern" versions of Runequest - The last one I used was Runequest 3 (GW edition) back in circa 1987, so I don't know if alot has changed since then.

in any case I would say that the BRP ruleset is more modern and so more usable if you want to adapt your game.

The Cthulhu set requires some modernization, the only question would be, should it get updated as an independant ruleset or as an extension to BRP.

I think Phantomwhale is down to make the runequest extension for BRP - but it seems he got a little side tracked with savageworlds

of course if you have the Cthulhu ruleset already and not the BRP then the question becomes more financial...

phantomwhale
May 30th, 2011, 22:53
Regarding the MRQ ruleset, I am still considering producing an MRQ style ruleset as I love the RQ setting too.

However, not only did SWEX / DLR sidetrack me from the project, I was also curve-balled a little by MRQII, and then when I started to think about looking into it later in the year, I found out they had ended the MRQ license that very day :

https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/news/news_item.php?pkid_news=496

So maybe when "Wayfarer", the MRQ replacement, comes into being I might try and pick it up as an FGII ruleset. But I think it's safe to assume an MRQ ruleset is never going to happen, now that it's a dead line due partly to low sales.

peterb
May 30th, 2011, 23:46
Thinking of running a Deus Vult campaign at some point but I'm not sure whether to go the whole hog and run the game as written (base rules of RuneQuest II), or to just run it as a setting for Cthulhu Dark Ages. I've got the Call of Cthulhu ruleset already and have already run a Cthulhu Dark Ages game.

Is the BRP ruleset that different?
Which do people here think would be the better ruleset for the job (or is that a silly question in the BRP forum)?

This game must happen ... God wills it!

The BRP ruleset has many more up-to-date features, such as encounters, modifiers and many more preference options. The BRP rules where originally an scaled down version of Chaosium's RuneQuest rules. The present version of BRP is a toolbox of rules from various Chaosium RPGs. Mongoose RQ has some features similar to Chaosium's RQ II and III but also some new features. The BRP ruleset can be configured to emulate RQ III but not MRQ I or II.

RQ is a more complex system and combats for example are more detailed and takes more time. Either BRP or CoC Dark Ages would do for Deus Vult, it will really come down to your preferred style of play.