PDA

View Full Version : Local Host login error

ShotGun Jolly
May 29th, 2011, 17:38
Hey all.

I have been using the local host ability for the last few years. This was allowing me to test out certain things before I actually played with my players.

Anyways, since the latest update, every time I go to log into under the local host, I get a critical error saying.

"could not load root file base.xml Do you want to try reloading the data?" yes or no.

And if I say yes, the msg just repeats, if I say no, I am kicked back to the launch screen.

Any ideas?

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2011, 17:55
A few questions to help us out:
* Which version are you running? (2.7.6 release or 2.8 test)
* Are you getting the error when you launch, when you attempt to host or only when you attempt to connect as a client?
* What OS are you running on?

Thanks,
JPG

ShotGun Jolly
May 29th, 2011, 18:30
Oh, yeah...

V2.7.6
Windows Vista - dont hate me :)

And I go through the motions of logging onto the local host (as I already have it up and running at this point), the download bar comes up and says downloading files. When that is complete, and you think it would start, thats when I get the error.

Tyndareus
May 29th, 2011, 20:05
I'd like to add that I've been having some issues with the localhost ability as well.

I have Full license and updated to 2.7.6
Windows 7

I launch the game and load my campaign, then I launch the same .exe again and try to join using localhost. Frequently, this causes the program instance running the campaign to crash ("Fantasy Grounds must close", etc.).

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2011, 22:02
A few questions for each of you:
* Which rulesets are you using?
* Which extensions (if any) are you using?
* Which modules (if any) are you using
* What are you entering into the user name and host fields when you join with the second instance?
* Are you using the default FG2 application data directory? (If you haven't done anything special to move it, then you are.)

I just tried a clean install of v2.7.6 and connected with a second instance using both 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1'. If I can recreate here, I'm sure I can get it fixed.

Also, you might try clearing the cache directory on your machine, in case there has been some sort of cache corruption or file locking that is causing the issue.

Thanks,
JPG

Tyndareus
June 1st, 2011, 01:54
*I was using Labyrinth Lord, no extensions or modules.
*The login for the host instance was DM Tyndareus, the client instance was Wolvy
*Host field was localhost
*Using the default directory

ShotGun Jolly
June 1st, 2011, 02:44
Savage Worlds V3
/none
/none
/Tester and I type in localhost, and I get the same error when I enter the IP
/Yes, everything is default

Not sure how to clear the cache, I tried a reboot of my machine in hoping it would fix it.

Any permissions on the folder I should be aware of? Just renewed my Norton Anti Virus too, maybe that did something too?

A few questions for each of you:
* Which rulesets are you using?
* Which extensions (if any) are you using?
* Which modules (if any) are you using
* What are you entering into the user name and host fields when you join with the second instance?
* Are you using the default FG2 application data directory? (If you haven't done anything special to move it, then you are.)

I just tried a clean install of v2.7.6 and connected with a second instance using both 'localhost' and '127.0.0.1'. If I can recreate here, I'm sure I can get it fixed.

Also, you might try clearing the cache directory on your machine, in case there has been some sort of cache corruption or file locking that is causing the issue.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2011, 06:26
There have been occasions where the Windows user account control had somehow locked the cache file, so that the game files weren't being saved from the host to the client. This can cause all sorts of strange errors, so I wanted to get a sense of what you guys were using.

There is a cache subdirectory in the FG2 data folder. The cache subdirectory contains a folder entry for each campaign to which you have logged into as a client. To clear the cache, just delete the folder for that campaign name.

Let me download those rulesets (SW3 and LL) to see if I can recreate here.

Regards,
JPG

ShotGun Jolly
June 1st, 2011, 14:32
Hey Moon Wizard.

I deleted the cache, and it worked perfect ever since. I will assume that was the problem, so thanks!

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2011, 19:21
Glad to hear it.

Tyndareus, have you tried clearing the cache?

Thanks,
JPG

Tyndareus
June 1st, 2011, 21:07
I'll give it a shot later tonight.