PDA

View Full Version : Question about ultimate license

Sherm
May 29th, 2011, 16:34
The description of the "ultimate" license says that it can "Host an unlimited number of unregistered players," but it isn't clear to me what "unregistered" means in this context. Can players connect using the demo version, do they need to buy the lite version, or does this mean something else entirely?

Also, assuming I have an ultimate license and I've purchased an additional rule set, do players also need to buy the rule set?

As you can probably guess, I'm trying to minimize (hopefully to zero) the cost to my players. If you have any other suggestions about the best way to do that, I'm all ears.

VenomousFiligree
May 29th, 2011, 16:48
Hi Sherm, welcome to FG :)

The players install the full version as Unregistered (free) and can only connect to Ultimate Licenses. Only the GM needs the ruleset for everyone to play.

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2011, 18:02
Here are the breakdowns of the various license options:

Ultimate - Can host or join games; When hosting, licensed or unregistered clients can connect

Full - Can host or join games; When hosting, client must have a purchased license to connect (Ultimate, Full or Lite)

Lite - Can join any game.

Unregistered - Can join games hosted by Ultimate license

With the bundle discount, I believe it's slightly cheaper to buy Full/Lite packs with the bundle discount for groups of 4-6. However, it depends on how you want to use the product. If you change players frequently or want to GM multiple games, Utlimate is better pricing overall.

Regards,
JPG

wbcreighton
May 30th, 2011, 19:13
Ultimate = Unlimited in your description

drahkar
May 31st, 2011, 13:24
To clarify, the Unregistered client is when you download the full client installer from the downloads section and while installing it, instead of entering a serial number you check the 'Unregistered' checkbox. The result is a client that can only log into Ultimate License hosts.

When it comes to reducing the cost to players, if you want to make their investment zero, then the Ultimate license is definitely the way to go. If you are going for the least expensive route, it depends on how you plan on using the application as Moon detailed.