PDA

View Full Version : Moving to 3.5E

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 04:05
I am in need of the expertise of the kind people of the forums here. I have had and been running a game in FGII for over 2 years now nearing three. I have been running a game in a custom ruleset one of my players found d20_JPG_3.5E. I have decided to try to move my campaign into the standard 3.5E ruleset.
One of my previous campaign's had an option that said, "convert to 3.5E" after the 2.8.0 patch and i clicked it and it worked perfect, although I am unsure which ruleset that one was under prior to the conversion.
Firstly I used the Xorn tutorial to export the module and found I could not even see the module in 3.5E. I tested it in another d20_JPG_3.5E campaign and it worked just as Xorn's tutorial said.
If there is any advice or help anyone can offer to help me make the jump to the 3.5E standard i would greatly appreciate it, i have spent hours custom writing up everything and would hate to loose it all. Thank you all for your time and effort in advance.

Trenloe
May 26th, 2011, 04:47
Firstly I used the Xorn tutorial to export the module and found I could not even see the module in 3.5E. I tested it in another d20_JPG_3.5E campaign and it worked just as Xorn's tutorial said.

Sounds like the definition.xml file in your modules will have the ruleset set to d20_JPG (<ruleset>d20_JPG</ruleset>) so you can only see the modules in a campaign using that ruleset.

Edit the definition.xml file in your modules and change this to 3.5E:

<ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 04:51
Thank you very much. Is there also a way to transfer my player's characters to the new campaign?

Trenloe
May 26th, 2011, 05:01
Thank you very much. Is there also a way to transfer my player's characters to the new campaign?

You can do it the manual way:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13730

Or use DrZeuss's very handy Campaign Tools (which, essentially, does the manual process for you):

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10734

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 05:20
Fantastic thank you very much

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 06:50
I'm sorry but i'm having trouble finding the file to edit..?

Trenloe
May 26th, 2011, 06:57
I'm sorry but i'm having trouble finding the file to edit..?

Is this for loading your modules you've already created in d20_jpg in to 3.5E?

If so, you need to edit each module (.mod file). They are ZIP files with the extension changed to .MOD.

So:

- change the extension to ZIP
- open the zip file up
- open definition.xml
- change <ruleset>d20_JPG</ruleset> to <ruleset>3.5E</ruleset>
- save definition.xml
- re zip the files (make sure when you zip you don't include the directory 1 level up).
- rename the file to have a .mod extension.

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 07:06
I went into a campaign and /export it. It has a file in my main FGII>modules folder. But it is showing as a windows media file. There is also a few 1kb modules in each campaigns moduleb folders. I'll try the zip method you just explained in the one that is the windows media file.

DMdomination
May 26th, 2011, 07:12
That did it, worked flawless, sorry for the confusion. Thanks again