PDA

View Full Version : Test Release 2.8

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 00:36
As always, please make a backup of your campaign before opening with a test release.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Since this is one of the larger updates, I expect that this one will be in testing for quite a bit.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 00:37
For this first round of public testing with v2.8, I suggest that GMs try this out on their own before adding players into the mix.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 00:40
Network optimizations, including token and portrait caching.
When connection is lost, FG will attempt to reconnect to session for one minute. Any game data sent while disconnected will not be shared.
Temporary files are cleaned up between sessions.
Ultimate and Full versions can create and load campaigns when not connected to the Internet.
Unregistered and lite versions can manage local characters with any installed ruleset. (if supported by ruleset)
Client hot keys are saved as separate file in campaign cache folder.
Improvements list drawing speed.
Better auto scrolling for nested windows and lists.
Left click on chat window will set focus to chat entry box.
Chat entry will not clear on mouse drag unless drag ends outside of box.
Grave key is no longer hard-coded to issue stop/prompt messages in chat window. Use the radial menu instead.
Clicking 4th mouse button in token bags will go up one level.
When using radial menu to apply formatting to formattedtextcontrol, focus is maintained.
Modules will only create their own category tab, if no mergeid defined and tab names not already defined.
Players could sometimes edit read-only fields, and changes would be incorrectly propagated to host. Fixed.
Fields using frames smaller than the size of the field will now tile the edges correctly.
Assign speaker menu item was not visually updating. Fixed.
Deleting empty lines in formattedtextcontrols could crash client. Fixed.
Random impulse was not being added to dice rolls correctly. Fixed.
First die roll using double-click rolling method would sometimes hang or fail. Fixed.
Network race condition on delete when window shared with client identified. Fixed.
Module categories and data entries would sometimes not appear, if primary campaign did not have records of same type. Fixed.
[LAUNCHER] UPnP port forwarding enabled for Connection Test.
[LAUNCHER] Allows hosting when not connected to network.
[LAUNCHER] Required fields highlighted in red.
[LAUNCHER] Host user name defaults to "GM".
[3.5E] Updated theme and sheet layouts.
[3.5E] Client access to shared story, image and item entries.
[3.5E] Full effects system added. See manual for details.
[3.5E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.
[3.5E] Spell points support (i.e. psionics).
[3.5E] Temporary and nonlethal hit point support.
[3.5E] Chat window relative to FG window size.
[3.5E] Search boxes added to every reference list.
[3.5E] Indication of editable and rollable fields on character sheet.
[3.5E] Support for more than 3 character classes.
[3.5E] Drag and drop items to inventory.
[3.5E] Enhanced PC spell casting.
[3.5E] Targeting for double-click and drag-and-drop rolls improved.
[3.5E] Image viewpoint remembered between sessions.
[3.5E] Image toolbar added.
[3.5E] NPC visibility options in CT.
[3.5E] Lighting and reply slash commands added.
[3.5E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.
[3.5E] Weapons, armor and equipment details added to modules.
[4E] /importchar and /exportchar commands added. See manual for details.
[4E] Added confirmations to radial delete.
[4E] Speaker bar on host moved under chat window.
[4E] Chat window relative to FG window size.
[4E] Auto complete for multi word character names while whispering.
[4E] Kick option added to connected character list for GMs.
[DEV] Ruleset and extension file load order is now the same on host and client.
[DEV] Tabbing in string/number fields will now skip invisible, disabled or read-only fields.
[DEV] Number controls will only intercept number drops by default, instead of all drops.
[DEV] Added support for 4th and 5th mouse buttons in onClickDown and onClickRelease events.
[DEV] throwDice calls made during chatwindow.onDrop handler will use current mouse vector, instead of random vector.
[DEV] softclose tag will now allow windows to become invisible and minimized, instead of just minimized.
[DEV] New functions, handlers, events and packages.
Comm: addChatMessage, deliverChatMessage, deliverOOBMessage, throwDice, vote, setChatMood, clearChat
DB: addHolder, export, getHolders, getText, getValue, import, isReadOnly, removeHolder, removeAllHolders, setValue
Interface: dialogFileOpen, dialogFileSave
Token: onHover, onHoverUpdate
User: getActiveUsers, kick
categoryselectioncontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
chatwindow: onHover, onHoverUpdate
databasenode: getText, isReadOnly
diecontrol - noreset, onValueChanged
formattedtextcontrol: onHover, onHoverUpdate
imagecontrol: getImageSize, hasDrawing, hasMask, onHover, onHoverUpdate
numbercontrol - default, min, max
stringcontrol - default, readonly
tokencontrol - nodrag, nodrop
tokeninstance - onHover, onHoverUpdate
windowreferencecontrol - noreset, onValueChanged
windowinstance - isMinimized, onHover, onHoverUpdate
[DEV] 2.8 changes (behavior change when ruleset updated)
Most slash commands moved to ruleset.
Console warning generated when template not found.
Character database root can be specified as something other than "charsheet" using the characterdbroot tag.
When importing characters from local mode, reference links are remapped to new character record ID.
imagecontrol: onTokenAdded event called for all existing tokens when initialized.
windowcontrol: onDragStart added to replace first onDrag call.
windowlistcontrol: onListRearranged event only called when windows added, deleted or rearranged.

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 04:11
Interesting! I'll be checking out the 3.5E changes to see if my Pathfinder groups eventually will move over from d20_JPG to a modified 3.5E.

First thought comments before seeing it in use:
Good to see that client hot keys get their own file.
Nice changes to the launcher. This should clear up some questions new users have.
The 3.5E changes look good and I'll be toying with it later on. The kick option is good when a PC just refuses to disconnect even though the player disconnected, and thus cannot log in right away.

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 06:51
First test:

Looks great!

Bug:
On the combat tracker if you open the effects input on a PC/NPC and mouse over to see the pop-up descriptions, the parts of the pop-up will move with the pointer if moving slightly above one of the buttons there.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 06:59
I tried to do quite a bit of optimization on LUA script event calling, and redraw blocks; so I expect a few hiccups like that.

Please post whenever you see anything that looks a bit off. It might be something I was a little aggressive with, and didn't catch in my internal testing.

Regards,
JPG

Eru the One
May 24th, 2011, 07:17
Looks great on Windows. I did have a small issue on my Mac though. FG2 had an error looking for d3dx9_43.dll. Not sure if it's b/c my Wine version was out of date, but I just copied the file over from Windows and it started without any issues.

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 07:23
I notice a feature which shows damage multiplier in the chat window for both PCs and NPCs and have briefly tested it.

For PCs I see you can select wield method on each weapon, which will then adjust the strength modifier accordingly. As I only GM I will have to ask my players about what they think of it.
(I have one barbarian in one group who frequently is enlarged/power attacks/rages/has bull's strength etc. cast on him, which often leads to applying damage bonuses ad hoc and several entries of the same weapon)

For NPCs I don't think I like it, since bonuses to damage can come from plenty of sources. Say Mr. A has 18 str and has a +1 longsword with weapon specialization (+2) which will put his bonus to +7 one-handed, or +9 if 2-handed. However both will show the MULT:1.5 tag I believe.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 07:41
The MULT tag only comes into play when there is an effect which adjusts the Strength of the attacker.

For PCs, it is controlled by the label cycler box (2H, 1H, OH, etc.).

For NPCs, I had to essentially guess based on the text of the attack field. The formula I came up with seemed to do a good job with a quick survey of 30+ monsters from the monster manual.

* If ranged and damage bonus >= 1, then assume MULT: 1 damage.
* If melee and damage bonus >= 1.5 times STR mod, then assume MULT: 1.5 damage.
* Else If melee and damage bonus >= STR mod, then assume MULT: 1 damage.
* Else if melee, then assume MULT: 0.5 damage.

I'm open to suggestions on how to better determine this. It was the only way I could think of to allow ability modifying effects to be applied to damage rolls in a semi-logical way.

Thanks,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 07:48
Can someone check on the Mac to see if the latest update is good?
(i.e. move DX dlls out of directory, and run update to get d3dx9_43.dll)

Thanks,
JPG

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 07:58
I haven't played with effects yet, but can you apply bulls strength for example in the tracker and it will boost said PC/NPCs strength accordingly?

For monsters from the monster manual I'm sure it will work in most cases, but at least in my case (Pathfinder and mostly humanoid NPCs with class levels) strength will often not be the only or even major damage modifier.

To quote a player of mine regarding the weapon wield selection "I'd rather have several open fields to input modifiers than strict selections" (roughly translated).

I could also see it like this for PCs in the action tab (alternatively allow for two stats, but I have never seen that in play personally in 3.5/PF)
[damage dice]+[STR]+[unspecified bonus adjusting damage] x [modifier selection: 0,5/1/1,5/2] + [unmodified bonus]

edit: I'll play around with it more during the weekend as I'll be busy until then.

Thanks for the great work!
-Leo

VenomousFiligree
May 24th, 2011, 08:49

Thanks,
JPG
Will check tonight.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 09:49
Yes, Bull's Strength with be an effect with the label "STR: 4 enhancement". Over the next few days, I plan to start updating the documentation to go with the new version (both developer and manual).

If you click down on the details for the weapon entries, you will find that there are several fields for inputting damage information.

(Dice + ability 1 + ability 2 + number)

The modifier for ability 1 will be adjusted based on the value of the weapon wield status (Melee 2H / Melee 1H / Melee OH).

Regards,
JPG

mfitzi
May 24th, 2011, 13:24
I'm not sure where I DL 2.8?

Zeus
May 24th, 2011, 13:48

Thanks,
JPG

I updated an old 2.7.3 build straight to 2.8 under Crossover 9.0.2. The updater runs fine and I noted the d3dx9_43.dll file gets updated OK.

FGII launches and my old development campaign loads fine. I run through a quick series of window checks, die rolls and actions and all appears to be fine.

I have not noticed (so far) any graphics corruption resulting from the optimisations made in 2.8. I have however noted that the frame graphic for the background of the chatwindow is showing visible lines where the tiling is at work. This is more evident now as the chatwindow in 2.8 fills the full height of the desktop. Since I did the original graphic for this object, I'll update the framedef and graphic and will forward it on for inclusion in the next test update.

To all those running FGII under Wine, make sure FGII under Wine is configured to use application native libraries first (i.e. libs bundled with FGII) as opposed to the in-built libraries Wine provides. This may explain why some users are seeing errors with d3dx9_43.dll reported as missing.

neilgfoster
May 24th, 2011, 13:59
Awesome work - looks like its going to be a great update.

I have a question regarding the sizing of chat window relative to the FG2 window size. I have looked into this before, and found that while it is possible to set-up the ruleset this way, FG2 has had issue if I change the window size while running (e.g. switch from full screen to window)

Have you resolved those issues as part of this release? Your notes mention the changes in the 3.5e and 4e rulesets, but not in the application or [Dev] sections.

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 14:02

As always, please make a backup of your campaign before opening with a test release.

Please see the sticky thread on public testing if you want to be involved. Only the Test mode slot contains this version. I will update this thread as I release new iterations of the test version.

Since this is one of the larger updates, I expect that this one will be in testing for quite a bit.

Thanks,
JPG

See the sticky thread for how to use the test version.

Zeus
May 24th, 2011, 14:06
See the 1st post and reference to read the stickied Public Testing post. In summary, you need to:

1. Download the TestManager.exe tool from the Downloads (under Utilities).
2. Once downloaded, execute the TestManager and the click the Test button.
3. Close the TestManager and open FGII.
4. The launcher should appear and indicate an update is available. Hit the update button and 2.8 will install.

To switch back to Release updates. Close FGII and repeat the steps above except this time Click the Release button on TestManager instead of Test.

Callum
May 24th, 2011, 14:33
This looks like it's going to be a really great update, JPG - I'm looking forward to it!

Can I request that, as well as updating the documentation, you provide comprehensive instructions on how to migrate to the 3.5 ruleset from d20 (or d20_jpg)? Unless there's going to be some kind of automated process for this, of course...

Thanks!

mfitzi
May 24th, 2011, 14:34
Thanks Doc!

VenomousFiligree
May 24th, 2011, 18:13
Did a fresh install with a new bottle in Crossover (FG 2.7.2) updated to 2.7.6, ran test mode and updated to 2.8, all without a problem.

Expanded chat window looks great :D

My previous comments still stand, however, don't clutter the chat window with graphics...

VenomousFiligree
May 24th, 2011, 18:19
Go the following error when trying to load a 3.5e campaign with the Dungeon Theme extension (hoping that it would be better than the 3.5e standard...):

Could not load included file graphics_portraits.xml.

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 18:40
I did a quick update last night to patch the DirectX DLL. I just wanted to check whether d3dx9_43.dll is sufficient, or whether the older DLLs are required also.

On the migration, the new 3.5E ruleset will automatically migrate d20, d20_JPG and older 3.5E rulesets to the new format. There is an entire LUA script within the ruleset dedicated to the migration.

There are a couple things that will not migrate:
* [d20_JPG] Any rolls associated with inventory or special abilities. Rebuild with spells instead.
* [3.5E] Multiple combat trackers replaced by encounters, but I wasn't able to migrate existing multiple combat trackers.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 19:10
There were 2 extensions with the same name but different filenames, and it seems like FG doesn't like that. I've updated the files so that the new one will overwrite the old one completely.

You will need to remove the 35E_Theme_Dungeon.ext manually from the directory to prevent future issues with updates to this theme. (only applies to people who updated before today.)

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 24th, 2011, 19:20
I'll see if I can get an updated graphic made with less room taken up by flair at the top.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
May 24th, 2011, 23:50
I noticed this will take a bit more effort to Pathfinderize in terms of skills since the Listen/Spot/Search skills are referenced on the main tab and mini sheet, whereas in Pathfinder these three skills are combined into one "Perception."

Considering the number of Pathfinder players I suspect if we can get a small extension which replaces the skills to the Pathfinder equivalent there will be more groups who will join the 2.8 testing. I'll look more into that this weekend.

I tried to replace the values in datacommon.lua in an extension, but since listen/spot/search are referenced elsewhere I got a few errors (and I'm far from proficient and just copy/paste what seems logical). E.g.
Script Error: [string "scripts/data_common.lua"]:243: '}' expected (to close '{' at line 240) near 'trainedonly'

and

Script Error: [string "charsheet/scripts/charsheet_skilllist.lua"]:52: attempt to index field 'skilldata' (a nil value)

Beneath is the skill list I tried to use instead of the 3.5 one.

-- Skill properties
skilldata = {
["Acrobatics"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Appraise"] = {
stat = "intelligence"
},
["Bluff"] = {
stat = "charisma"
},
["Climb"] = {
stat = "strength",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Craft"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "intelligence"
},
["Diplomacy"] = {
stat = "charisma"
},
["Disable Device"] = {
stat = "intelligence",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
trainedonly = 1
},
["Disguise"] = {
stat = "charisma"
},
["Escape Artist"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Fly"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Handle Animal"] = {
stat = "charisma"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Heal"] = {
stat = "wisdom"
},
["Intimidate"] = {
stat = "charisma"
},
["Knowledge"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "intelligence"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Linguistics"] = {
stat = "intelligence"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Perception"] = {
stat = "wisdom"
},
["Perform"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "charisma"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Profession"] = {
sublabeling = true,
stat = "wisdom"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Ride"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Sense Motive"] = {
stat = "wisdom"
},
["Sleight of Hand"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Spellcraft"] = {
stat = "intelligence"
trainedonly = 1
},
["Stealth"] = {
stat = "dexterity",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Survival"] = {
stat = "wisdom"
},
["Swim"] = {
stat = "strength",
armorcheckmultiplier = 1
},
["Use Magic Device"] = {
stat = "charisma"
trainedonly = 1
}
}

EugeneZ
May 25th, 2011, 00:38
You need a comma after the following statements.

Within Disable Device:

armorcheckmultiplier = 1

Within Handle Animal:

stat = "charisma"

Within Knowledge:

stat = "intelligence"

Within Perform:

stat = "charisma"

Within Profession:

stat = "wisdom"

Within Spellcraft:

stat = "intelligence"

Within Use Magic Device:

stat = "charisma"

So basically, you need to separate the key/value pairs within a map with commas. The last one doesn't need one, but the first and middle ones do. Hope that helps.

Leonal
May 25th, 2011, 00:47
Thanks! (Indeed thanks for helping a coding noob!) /words to make the post long enough.

edit:
I may be blind, but was any reference to class skills removed from the 3.5E ruleset? (That might not be a bad thing, but may confuse some players.)

EugeneZ
May 25th, 2011, 00:50
JPG,

I'm looking forward to testing this.

Also, I'm really interested in what the following quoted line from your changelog means:

Random impulse was not being added to dice rolls correctly. Fixed.

Less interesting but also "Improvements list drawing speed" is kind of ambiguous. There are improvements to the drawing speed of lists or one of the improvements you listed was drawing speed? :)

Aristotle
May 25th, 2011, 01:40
I really like what I see thus far. I'm excited to see Pathfinder support for this updated ruleset. Pathfinder is the king of the OGL market (and the new D&D for many of us), and I really think having it available in a ruleset on par with the 4e one will be a boon for sales.

I do have some critiques as far as the skin goes. First, I love that you use the 4e icons. Those are really polished. I like the detail at the top of the background, but I'd rather everything below it be the marble (no light middle segment). Also, I'd prefer the border on the right extend down to include the tokens folder. The chatbox is also too busy for me. Honestly, I'd prefer it just be 'inset' like the Modifiers box. Art is subjective though, so I may not be sharing the popular opinion.

Moon Wizard
May 25th, 2011, 06:45
Default 3.5E Theme
I'm looking at revising the chatbox graphic to remove the top "flair" which eats into the scrolling space. Other than that, it's very subjective.

I like the idea of making the right section include the tokens, so I might look at that as well. I'm hoping it might be as simple as a frame definition.

The challenge with any center section art is that it gets tiled to fill the space, so marbling is challenging to make look good. If someone is interested in helping me work out a new background, let me know.

Pathfinder
I will be looking at the PF support shortly, but I didn't want to hold up v2.8 any longer than it has already taken.

Random impulse note
Basically, the application check to determine when the throw vector was too small was not working correctly. Dragged dice could be dropped into the chat window, and it would not add a random vector like it's supposed to. If you use double-click rolling, you probably wouldn't have noticed.

Regards,
JPG

damned
May 25th, 2011, 08:34

i dont know if you can connect to my game if you go to 2.8?

Leonal
May 25th, 2011, 08:39
i dont know if you can connect to my game if you go to 2.8?

One can always downgrade back to 2.7.6? by clicking "Release" in the Test Mode tool and updating FG again.

damned
May 25th, 2011, 08:41
yep - i read a response explaining the test mode and got the answer!

Satan
May 25th, 2011, 13:37
I am testing 2.8 and All monster attacks appear to be Melee [ATTACK (M)], Character attacks works ok

Satan
May 25th, 2011, 15:08
When trying to use monster skills i get the following script error:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actions.lua"]:142: attempt to call field 'setType' (a nil value)

Satan
May 25th, 2011, 19:24
No problem, the d20 Equipment mod is no longer needed :)

(When viewing a dropped item from the d20 Equipment i get the following error:
Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/campaign_itemstats.lua"]:24: attempt to index global 'cost' (a nil value)
Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'label_cost'
Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'label_cost')

Blackfoot
May 25th, 2011, 22:59
Default 3.5E Theme
I'm looking at revising the chatbox graphic to remove the top "flair" which eats into the scrolling space.I think this looks great.. but have to agree that it does waste a lot of valuable real estate. The idea of making it look like the modifiers box doesn't seem too bad.

Other than that, it's very subjective.Certainly true... but even so.. these graphics look really nice... much more professional.

The challenge with any center section art is that it gets tiled to fill the space, so marbling is challenging to make look good. If someone is interested in helping me work out a new background, let me know.This background looks really great as well... I don't see the problem here.

Pathfinder
I will be looking at the PF support shortly, but I didn't want to hold up v2.8 any longer than it has already taken.Looking forward to this.

I'm not sure I love the larger scale Module Activation... it seems to take up more landscape and I think I'd rather see more at a glance... but others may feel differently.

I'm not sure how the new modifiers stuff works but it looks really cool. :)

The grouping for books in the Library doesn't seem to be working right... I'm not sure what's up there.

Aristotle
May 25th, 2011, 23:52
This background looks really great as well... I don't see the problem here.
It was actually the least concerning point that I brought up. If the other stuff gets addressed, I'll be more than happy.

Moon Wizard
May 26th, 2011, 00:50
I have created a beta version of the developer documentation that reflects the new developer capabilities in v2.8, as well as fixing any documentation issues I could find.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdocbeta/

Regards,
JPG

Sigurd
May 27th, 2011, 05:31
Are people seeing a reduction in necessary memory in 2.8?

Callum
May 27th, 2011, 11:40
Default 3.5E Theme
I'm looking at revising the chatbox graphic to remove the top "flair" which eats into the scrolling space. Other than that, it's very subjective.

Yes, it is very subjective, as you say. I wonder how easy it would be to provide a few skins for users to choose from? These could include the old wood scheme, as well as the new marble one.

Oberoten
May 27th, 2011, 12:33
Return to launcher after using the import/export commands gives can't find base.xml error if running with a PAK file.

- Obe

Moon Wizard
May 27th, 2011, 22:24
Obe,

Can you give me more specifics on steps to recreate?

Is it something like this?:
* Load existing campaign
* Use /exportchar
* Return to launcher
* Open new campaign
* Use /importchar

Thanks,
JPG

Oberoten
May 28th, 2011, 06:18
Haven't been able to recreate it reliably but...

* New Campaign
* Create a character
* Export
* Return to launcher
* Error

However, I do believe these first exports failed for some reason, which is probably the reason... somewhere something points to the wrong directory.

Moon Wizard
May 28th, 2011, 23:32
It looks like the new file open/save dialog changes the directory for all file loading operations, so FG can't find the launcher information.

Thanks for the info.
JPG

primarch
May 28th, 2011, 23:58
Hi!

Moon, I tried 2.8 today (using 4e ruleset) and had the following issue:

1. No client on my local network could connect. I have a total of 4 computers on my local network and NONE could access the host. It would basically hang on the "connect" screen with no movement of the loading bar.

I thought this very odd, so i tried turning off all firewalls. No change.
I checked all router/adapter settings on all computers and allowed programs through the firewall. Even deleting and redoing them did not work.

I also saw that programs that could be used by computers through the network such as Teamspeak 3 and Winamp (both of which I used during games) worked with no problems.

After about two hours of trying multiple methods it dawned on me that I had not tried rolling back to release version 2.7.6. So I did and the issue disappeared and all computers could easily connect normally.

My conclusion being that the test version 2.8 had something to do with the problem.

My specs and settings have not changed since the last problem I troubleshooted with you, so you can refer to those e-mails and the stickied thread for those specs.

Let me know if I can help and test solutions for you.

Thanks!

Primarch

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2011, 01:09
Thanks for the attempt, Primarch.

What was the host setting you are using on the clients to connect? (alias, external IP or internal IP)

In all my internal testing, I have used internal IP, so I'm thinking it might be something to look at if you can verify.

Thanks,
JPG

primarch
May 29th, 2011, 01:23
Thanks for the attempt, Primarch.

What was the host setting you are using on the clients to connect? (alias, external IP or internal IP)

In all my internal testing, I have used internal IP, so I'm thinking it might be something to look at if you can verify.

Thanks,
JPG

Hi!

I have the alias for connecting enabled. Although several of my "external" clients also use the external IP to connect without issue.

I have only one player (my son) that connects via the local network using my internal host network IP.

The alias was enabled when I ran my test using the local network computers. I thing I forgot to test however is that if external clients could connect in 2.8 even though local computers could not. I have a broadband card in addition to the cable IP access, so I can test external connections as well (I could connect though it without issue, but that was after the rollback).

Let me know if I can test any specific parameters for you.

Primarch

Sorcerer
May 29th, 2011, 09:01
I'm guessing this is linked to the changes made to setValue()
but before 2.8 I used to be able to do something like with a numbercontrol:

function onValueChanged()

local input = getValue()

setValue(input+someModifier)

end

unfortunately after the update to 2.8 this now results in a stack overload error as the setValue results in the onValueChanged being continually called and setting everything into an endless loop

anyway I have things up and running again using

functon onGainfocus()

current = getValue()

end

function onLoseFocus()

local input = getValue()

if input ~= current then

setValue(input+someModifier)

end

end

Moon Wizard
May 29th, 2011, 18:06
Actually, the setValue/onValueChanged endless loop potential has been around for quite a while. I've run into it several times, and there are some forum entries about it hanging around.

That said, if you are seeing different behavior for a piece of code between 2.7 and 2.8, I definitely want to know, since I can usually wrap the changes in a compatibility block.

You can see the compatibility changes so far, here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdocbeta/

Cheers,
JPG

viresanimi
May 30th, 2011, 17:29
I've run into an interesting problem.

I run 2.8 in Windows 7.

Problem: I load in a module into a campaign. All data has been exported as host data (Story, personalities, images, and so on). Images cannot be shared, neither in local host, nor with external tester (whom also run Windows 7, full license).

If I share any images, it will cause a client crash for those that have connected to me - both local host and external.

But it does not seem to affect images that are in a campaign. Only those from a loaded module. Or so it seems.

Vires Animi

Leonal
May 31st, 2011, 07:29
JPG, I mentioned it a few pages back, but was the possibilities to mark as skill as a class skill, and thus change how non/class skills worked, removed from the new 3.5E ruleset?

Moon Wizard
May 31st, 2011, 07:49
Yes, it was removed.

With the ability to have more than 3 classes, and the ability to create multiple spell classes (including items, etc.); the class skill and skill point tracking features were going to be very complicated to build and manage. If someone can build a working extension, I'd be more than happy to include in the core.

With all the other changes, I had to draw the line on a few things.

Regards,
JPG

Leonal
May 31st, 2011, 08:14
Ah ok, that explains it. I was trying to build a simple skill extension for Pathfinder to try out. The removal of class skills just makes the extension writing easier for a noob like me.

That spot/listen/search is referenced on both the mini sheet and the main tab makes a few errors pop up though. ^^;

If you are indeed looking at adding PF capabilities (by extension or otherwise) I will gladly wait and try that out, but I wanted to see if I could try my current PF campaigns by using the 2.8 3.5 ruleset with just a minor effort from me.

Thanks for the great work!

Moon Wizard
June 1st, 2011, 00:02
Viresanimi,

Thanks for the report. I found an issues that actually prevented all host module content from being shared. (i.e. mainly images and story entries)

Regards,
JPG

Sorcerer
June 2nd, 2011, 08:47
I have encountered a problem with the C&C ruleset under 2.8.

drops on tokens (attacks, damage, effects) by the client no longer work.
The client can still drop these things successfully on the client combattracker.
There are no error messages, just nothing happens.

(this is a second instance client, I haven't tried this live yet)

all drops still work on the host side.

I have rolled back and forth between 2.7.6 and 2.8 several times, always with the same result.

I note that client token drops do work for the new 3.5E under 2.8, so I guess it is a matter of implementation.

I have been playing "spot the difference" with the code for some time now, but I haven't managed to work out what the problem might be.

any ideas?

Sorcerer
June 2nd, 2011, 15:03
another 2.8 issue to report - this time with the CoC ruleset.

just click on the button to create a new personality and receive the following scripting errors

[02.06.2011 13:31:52] Runtime Notice: Initializing DirectX
[02.06.2011 13:31:52] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds starting
[02.06.2011 13:31:56] Runtime Notice: Host session started
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'hp'
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for (unnamed)
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'dbdesc'
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'armor'
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: No vertical anchor defined for 'spells'
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: Control '' anchoring to uncalculated control 'spells'
[02.06.2011 13:32:10] Ruleset Error: Control '' anchoring to uncalculated control 'spells'
[02.06.2011 13:32:22] Runtime Notice: Fantasy Grounds exiting

this occurs every time you create the personality, but once it is created it doesn't give any further problems when you close and reopen the personality.

Moon Wizard
June 2nd, 2011, 20:42
Thanks, Sorcerer. I actually found the token drop issue in my 4E game last week.

As I was working on v2.8, I closed a bunch of situations where clients could change unowned database nodes with certain script functions. Unfortunately, it seems that a few features in current rulesets take advantage of those loopholes. The next version will have a backward compatibility flag for rulesets not updated to v2.8 capabilities, and the 3.5E ruleset will have examples on how to implement those features without allowing clients to change unowned nodes.

I'll take a look at the CoC script errors.

Regards,
JPG

Sorcerer
June 3rd, 2011, 10:47
thanks for the feedback - it was good to know that it wasn't just me that has noticed the ondrop problem, for a while I thought I must have overwritten something important before I remembered I was running a beta.
the latest release of beta 2.8 has fixed the problem and I will take a look at 3.5E to see how to do this without utilizing the loophole in the future.

on the CoC script errors, it seems (unsurprisingly) that BRP uses the same or similar code for personalities and so throws the same errors.

I haven't had time to look into the root cause yet.