PDA

View Full Version : 4E XML Tag Reference?

Jharii
May 20th, 2011, 00:56
I've searched and searched, so forgive me if I missed it...

Is there a reference document anywhere which contains all of the XML tags and structure/schema specific to the 4E rule set modules?

Thanks.

Moon Wizard
May 20th, 2011, 01:53
The database structure of the campaign database XML file is defined by the ruleset used. No one has completely documented the XML reference for each ruleset.

Is there something specific you are trying to do?

Cheers,
JPG

Jharii
May 20th, 2011, 03:16
I am writing a program that will process and store all of the 4E parser information in a SQL database, allowing for easy organization and inclusion/exclusion of individual pieces. Think "mods on demand." Adding and editing individual components will also be available. Combing the XML is an option and I have been doing so. But I cannot guarantee that I will not miss anything.

The ultimate goal of the program is to be a fully functional campaign manager, able to export to HTML, PDF, and Fantasy Grounds.

Moon Wizard
May 20th, 2011, 06:44
Interesting. It seems like you are most interested in the module data structures.

While there is no definite structure, you could investigate the reference*.xml files in the 4E ruleset to learn more about the expected module data structures.

Any tag that defines a field (stringfield, numberfield, windowreferencefield, formattedtextfield, ...) that will be requested by the ruleset from the database, whether or not it exists in the database at the time of window creation. And vice versa, there could be data in the database which is never accessed.

Cheers,
JPG

Jharii
May 20th, 2011, 15:59
Thanks. I am combing through it. A bit cryptic, but hopefully I will have something that I can present to the community when finished.