PDA

View Full Version : Connection problem

Hex08
May 19th, 2011, 21:49
A friend of mine is trying to host a Fantasy Grounds 2 game and we are having some connection issues. Once he installed the game he generated an alias and ran the connection test which failed. We then logged into his dlink dir615 router and opened the port 1802 and also opened the port on his Windows Vista firewall and ran the test again, which still failed. While talking on the phone it sounded like he was only able to open outgoing connections to the port but not incoming on the router.

We even tried disconnecting his router and plugged his computer directly into his cable modem and we are still not able to connect.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Nikoli
May 20th, 2011, 00:29
Hi Hex,

I'm curious, as this might be related to my issue on the other thread to do with connection problems just below this one. Have a look there. Basically, I found that if I used the ip and not the alias, it worked.

Try that - I have a sneaking suspicion the alias was the culprit for me...but I could be wrong.

Nikoli

Moon Wizard
May 20th, 2011, 02:00
Port forwarding is specifically for incoming requests, so any port forwarding setting on your router should be configured to send port 1802 to your hosting machine's internal IP address. It wouldn't make sense to have port forwarding the other way.

Also, v2.7.6 will automatically attempt to configure port forwarding on your router using the UPnP protocol. However, the "Test Connection" feature does not use this currently (coming in v2.8). The Test Connection feature should work if the port forwarding is set up directly on the router.

Some things to check:
* Verify that the IP address in the router port forwarding is the "internal" IP address.
* Verify that the router port forwarding is forwarding both UDP and TCP traffic.
* Verify that the Windows Firewall is allowing FG to connect to Internet.

Cheers,
JPG

Griogre
May 20th, 2011, 06:19
It's very likely the cable "modem" has a firewall in it as well. Did you configure it to open 1802 and port forward on to either the router or PC?

Nikoli
May 20th, 2011, 11:08
Thanks for the help JPG. I'll try and make sense of all of this, but it will have to wait till after the weekend.

Griogre, not sure about the modem - I've sent the details to my more tech savvy relatives! Much of this is like a different language to me.

All I know is, I could connect with one person previously, without any configuration, so presumably the UPnP (?) thing was working...yet my connection with another failed. Not sure what might be causing the inconsistency, but I'll see another time.

If Hamachi works, I might just forget about trying to figure it all out! I was at it for hours and hours the other day.

Thanks again for the much needed help!

Hex08
May 20th, 2011, 20:55
Thanks for the input everyone. I will contact my friend and see if any of this helps.