PDA

View Full Version : International game planning

phantomwhale
May 19th, 2011, 12:44
Just found a link to this on the lifehacker website:

https://www.worldtimebuddy.com

For those of you planning international games, it might help set the date and time in stone !

I've found the FG calendar can mislead around time zone changes (it doesn't look ahead to see if there is a time zone change before the game, it just goes off the current time zone difference at that moment) and my previous website of choice for clarifying times was https://www.timeanddate.com/ but it's a bit ugly compared to this one.

Just in case it helps...
Ben (-PW-)

Valarian
May 19th, 2011, 13:06
I use the time and date website a lot. Have to have a look at this other one.

VenomousFiligree
May 19th, 2011, 15:33
I use the time and date website a lot. Have to have a look at this other one.
Same here, will check out the new one.

mr_h
May 19th, 2011, 16:21
Nice site, I like how quick and simple it is to use. I've used the other one before, but it almost seems like overkill.

/bookmarks it on the off chance he needs it

VenomousFiligree
May 20th, 2011, 12:12
Rather than list a meeting with lots of timezones I just made it with mine (GMT+1), do people in other times zones see it in theirs, or just mine?
https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/meeting?lid=2640194&sts=21774180&sl=19-23

phantomwhale
May 20th, 2011, 12:26
No, I just see your meeting set at your timezone.

There is a link to "go create a meeting using that timezone, so I can click back to the main page (losing the selected times) and add my location to be alongside your location, so there is a minor benefit that I know for sure I've got the right location for you (which sometimes I'm not sure about with US locations - Plymouth, I can handle !)

Probably more of benefit where you know your player's timezones, then you can share a link each week safe that "the one guy who's not very good with timezones" will be better informed ?!

damned
May 20th, 2011, 12:31
someone here pointed me to timeanddate.com and i think it works pretty darn well :)

phantomwhale
May 20th, 2011, 12:35
Well - as you'll no doubt spot in the first post, that's what I compared this to ;)

The only problem I've had with timeanddate.com is sometimes it's a bit too busy, and I have trouble getting the right view on time comparisons or being sure I've picked up on the right time zones.

But after a little play, suspect I'll stick with time and date for now, as the cleaner interface of worldtimebuddy might be offset by lack of clever features right now.

VenomousFiligree
May 20th, 2011, 17:39
It does look stacks better than timeanddate shame it doesn't quite deliver.

Valarian
May 20th, 2011, 17:57
Anyone else noticed that you can do start/end times on timeanddate now, as well as give the event a name in the calendar.

e.g.
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Heimdall+Game+Times&iso=20110522T20&p1=136&ah=3

damned
May 21st, 2011, 09:40
Well - as you'll no doubt spot in the first post, that's what I compared this to ;)

i must be expressing myself poorly - a few posts that i have made ppl have misunderstood my intent or thought i was even having a dig - i was only throwing my vote behind the first of the choices you presented. i added more text as it was someone here - possibly even you :) who pointed me to the site!

phantomwhale
May 21st, 2011, 09:55
We're cool :)

VenomousFiligree
May 21st, 2011, 12:52
No, I just see your meeting set at your timezone.

There is a link to "go create a meeting using that timezone, so I can click back to the main page (losing the selected times) and add my location to be alongside your location, so there is a minor benefit that I know for sure I've got the right location for you (which sometimes I'm not sure about with US locations - Plymouth, I can handle !)

Probably more of benefit where you know your player's timezones, then you can share a link each week safe that "the one guy who's not very good with timezones" will be better informed ?!
I've provided some feedback to them, lets see if they take it onboard!

VenomousFiligree
May 29th, 2011, 22:02
I see they have recently submitted an update, anyone care to post a meeting, ensuring it doesn't include BST/GMT+1?