PDA

View Full Version : Effects

KhybersGhost
May 14th, 2011, 03:29
I have been using Fantasy Grounds 2 for only a little while now and have not really figured out how to use effects properly. Does anyone know of a location where someone has written up any useful tutorial information regarding them? I have found a couple videos online which I did not find useful at all unfortunately.

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2011, 19:00
Effects are implemented differently in every ruleset. In the current d20 / 3.5E implementations, effects consist of:
* An informational name tag
* A duration field
* An increment field.

The effects have no automation in the game other than the increment field being added to the duration field every round, and the effect "expiring" when it gets to zero. (i.e. a duration of 5 and an increment of -1 would expire an effect in 5 rounds).

For the 4E ruleset, there is a much more elaborate effects system in place, that is detailed in the online manual in the Library section of the web site. Also, I am working on a revised 3.5E ruleset that will also include a similar effects system for v2.8.

Regards,
JPG

KhybersGhost
May 16th, 2011, 23:13
Thank you for the reply. I am using the d20 jpg system for my game. I see there are some effects in place already for some creatures that actually do have effects, such as fast healing. Is there a way to set effects / durations in game onto targets? I see how to create effects on characters and creatures, but I have no idea how to set the duration / increment status for them.

Moon Wizard
May 17th, 2011, 00:48
Once the effects are placed on the combatants in the combat tracker, you can click on the effects detail button, and edit the fields (label, duration and increment) directly.

I can't remember if d20_JPG had a separate campaign effects list, but if it did you could edit there before applying as well.

The d20_JPG ruleset only supported 2 tags: "FHEAL: <num>" and "DMG: <num>" for fast healing and ongoing damage effects.

Cheers,
JPG