PDA

View Full Version : Need help with erroneous “unauthorized copy” error

jparks
May 14th, 2011, 01:12
Ok I am running Ultimate FG2 game with players both internal and external to my network. Most of my players are running unregistered versions of FG2.

We had been running version 2.7.2 for both the Ultimate server and unregistered clients. My Ultimate version was installed on XP. My old computer died, so I got a new one. Now running Windows 7.

I reinstalled the game using the download from the site version 2.7.4. Installed my Ultimate license and copied my old Application Data files from my old XP computer to my new Windows 7 computer.

Both my external and internal IP is the same as it used to be.
External clients can connect without problems. But internal clients get a “Target host is running an unauthorized copy” error?

What’s causing this? My Ultimate license still works for my host and external computers. I have uninstalled the unregistered 2.7.2 version and installed the unregistered 2.7.4 version and still get the same error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Because of the downtime getting the new computer… we haven’t played for roughly a month. So I am really hoping to get this fixed as soon as possible… and get the game going again.

--John

jparks
May 14th, 2011, 01:35
Ok after some playing around it appears that the unregistered versions can't connect to my Ultimate version? Any ideas why that would be a problem?

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2011, 01:44
Are you still getting the unauthorized copy error message for your internal machines? Or is there a new error?

There shouldn't be an unauthorized error unless there is an issue with the unlimited license key. Both external and internal clients should receive the same error if that is the case, since they would all be sending requests to the FG servers with the server information to validate.

If it's just a connection issue, make sure that you use the internal IP address of the server machine when connecting, not the alias or external IP.

Regards,
JPG

jparks
May 14th, 2011, 01:50
I was getting the unauthorized copy error from internal machines, where an external was able to connect. However, since then I confirmed that the external player was using a full license version. And I added a lite license to one of the two internal clients and it can now connect without problems.

So the problem seems to be that unregistered clients are no longer able to connect to my Ultimate license anymore? The Ultimate license shows up in the client and seems to work correctly in every other way?

Any suggestions?

jparks
May 14th, 2011, 02:20
I found the problem... when I pasted in my license there was a space before the key. I reinstalled making sure no spaces and it seems to be working now.

Sorry for the false alarm. But hopefully this will help someone else who encounters the same problem...

thanks