PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Connection issues with 2.7.4

follmern
May 12th, 2011, 03:17
A friend and I have been using this program for almost two years now and it has worked well up until last week. If I load FG2 as the GM and my friend attempts to connect, I see the connect message in the chat window on my end, and he actualy gets a grayed out players window but that is it. We've let the PCs for up to ten minutes with no change. If he starts a session as the GM and I attempt to connect, I show connecting with an empty bar under it on the join game screen, but he shows no action on his end.

We both have fully licensed versions updated to 2.7.4 and 2 weeks ago everything worked fine. We have had no changes in hardware or port forwarding changes and the connection test on both ends works.

Any ideas?

Phystus
May 12th, 2011, 23:48
Sounds like you've got a dodgy connection. Since your buddy can get farther when you host than you can when he hosts, I'd start with checking his side of things.

This thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14604) is a recent one on resolving poor connections, and might be a good place to start.

Good luck!

~P

follmern
May 13th, 2011, 03:11
Thanks for the advice. I looked at the other thread and will check a couple of things. How about one ore question...

I have noticed that when I launch as the GM and I check my images, none have the preload icon in the corner. When my player launches and connects, the images that were preloaded the last time we had the software working start to automaticly preload. Now I've never really paid attention to this before so I don't know if it is normal or if this could possibly be part of the issue.

Is it normal?

Is there away to keep those images from preloading until I tell them to?

Leonal
May 13th, 2011, 03:54
Your players can't see an image you had shared/opened/pre-loaded in a previous session until you share the image again. (If that's what you're asking?)

follmern
May 13th, 2011, 04:02
Your players can't see an image you had shared/opened/pre-loaded in a previous session until you share the image again. (If that's what you're asking?)

No. I know he can't see it until I click share. What I'm trying to figure out is if it is normal for images that were preloaded in a previous session to preload automaticaly when starting a new session.

As he trys to connect, I can see the preload icon automaticaly appear in the top right hand corner of an image without me clicking on preload. The last session we succesfully played, I had loaded and shared about ten images. When I start a new session all ten of those images are trying to preload. I think that may have bearing on why we can't get a connection.

Griogre
May 13th, 2011, 04:23
Yes it is normal. Images you pre-load are copied to his cache file for the campaign. Thus the spider web means the image is in his cache file.

follmern
May 13th, 2011, 22:30
Yes it is normal. Images you pre-load are copied to his cache file for the campaign. Thus the spider web means the image is in his cache file.

Is there a way to clear the cache file?

Griogre
May 13th, 2011, 22:38
Have the player go into FG's data application folder and find the cache folder and delete the folder for your campaign. They can find the data app file by pressing the start button -> all programs -> Fantasy Grounds II -> Application data folder.

damned
May 13th, 2011, 23:36
but the whole idea of the cache is to keep all this data local so he wont have to download again. this cache isnt slowing or dropping your connection unless it is corrupted.
when a new player connects it will add time to his first download but after that... it shouldnt matter.

Moon Wizard
May 14th, 2011, 01:37
In all rulesets, once an image is shared, it is shared forever. Also, it should only download to the player cache the first time it is shared.

In the 4E ruleset, you can "unshare" an image you shared previously. Open the campaign images list, and click on the circled S to the right of the image name.

However, most rulesets do not allow the players to look at the shared images, so it's not typically an issue. Since the 4E ruleset added this capability, I also added the option to unshare.

Regards,
JPG

follmern
May 14th, 2011, 04:35
Thanks for all the inputs. When we get online next week and try some of these ideas, I'll post results.