PDA

View Full Version : Opening & closing campaign

StValentine
May 12th, 2011, 02:10
I've found that if I don't close my modules before I close my FG that the campaign will not reopen. The program will stop responding and will not open when you close it with the task manager then try reopen it says a backup was made but I don't know how to put the back up in and open my campaign so I don't lose everything. I hope this makes sense if not send me a pm and I'll try to explain. ~St. Valentine

Fot5
May 12th, 2011, 14:34
I think that there are two things going on here. 1) If the program freezes or crashes, it sometimes will not have saved the current state of the campaign, so you'd have to go in and reset all of the open modules and settings. 2) More likely, given your description, I've noticed that if I leave FGII running and my computer's screen saver kicks in, FGII will freeze as you've described, and I have to stop the program with the task manager in order to get it to close. Anytime you do this, FGII does not go through its process of saving data upon exit, and you'll get that backup file message the next time you open the program. So, I think I've encountered what you're describing, and I'm pretty sure, in my case, that that only occurs when I leave FGII running while my screen saver kicks in. You could try turning off your screen saver to see if that prevents this from occurring.

StValentine
May 12th, 2011, 18:08
no it only happens if I have my modules open when I close the program. Then it won't reopen, instead it hangs and I have to use to the task manager to close it. then when I try to open it again it gives the message about a back up being made but still will not open.

StValentine
May 12th, 2011, 18:11
So I wind up deleting the campaign and starting over. The problem happens when it's my host campaign that I have my players characters saved in. is there way I can acsses the back up that was made and restart that campaign or not.

Griogre
May 13th, 2011, 03:56
Typically in the past, crash on exit means a corrupt campaign or module. This could mean either outright corruption or a bad character. It seems likely you have one or more modules FG doesn't like. You might try closing different modules and exiting to see if you can work out if its just a one, a few or all of them.

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2011, 18:31
First, if you are having issues with a campaign and you want to save your data, my first suggestion is that you backup the entire campaign folder while you work out any issues.

FG creates a snapshot of the campaign database when it is started. If the application finds a leftover snapshot of database when it starts, it will notify you that there was an issue and name the snapshot to 'db.backup.xml'.

To set the database to the database snapshot, you can copy the db.backup.xml to db.xml, which will overwrite any changes.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2011, 18:32
Next, if you want to disable modules before you load, you can delete the modulestate.xml file in the campaign directory.

Finally, can you tell us which ruleset and modules you are using?

Regards,
JPG