PDA

View Full Version : Possible missing tables

nazzy
May 8th, 2011, 18:17
While working on a game I have came across a few minor things I thought I'd ask about.

Possible missing tables from the Rolemaster ruleset:

Creatures and Treasures
11.0 Miscellaneous Tables
Table 11-02: Encounter Table is missing.

Arms Law
Table 06-03: Animal Statistics Chart is missing.
Table 06-04: Monster Statistics Chart is missing.

And a few questions Rolemaster specific things I've noticed.

Are there any plans to add Encounter groups to the ruleset? I noticed that the 4E includes this option.

Item creation. I was not able to locate any items like magic items.
Is it possible to create Item groups so that loot could be kept in the item table separated into groups such as items found per room or area?

And finally, has anyone released any modules or extensions for the Rolemaster rulset that could be used to examine what and where to make changes to extend the ruleset with custom data? I been watching the videos and reading the wiki attempting to learn what might be required, but thought I'd check to see if others had any Rolemaster specific information.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions. Please excuse me if this has already been explained in other threads. I've tried to search for it before asking.

RKBrumbelow
May 9th, 2011, 00:15
It is very difficult to write a mod like what you are asking for and them publicly distribute it. Much of the 2nd ed materiel is in copyright hell so you can't use it and publicly distribute it.

As for the tables you missing, yes they are missing in all copies.

nazzy
May 9th, 2011, 06:03
Thanks for the missing table info.

I'm a little unclear on what type of of changes would we sharable. One of the things I thought about was adding the "close window" buttons to the ruleset as an extension. Or adding the ability to create encounter groups. I believe what you are saying is just regarding anything that might use the game system mechanics can't be shared. I'm curious if there is some way to reference the material by ID's with reference the the material. This would allow someone to create a table that could roll to select items from a table or the creature that's encountered based on the existing level and or climate.

Anyway anything I might create I'd probably have someone review.

RKBrumbelow
May 9th, 2011, 06:28
Some simple rules of thumb:
Nothing from RM 1st,2nd, MERP, Shadow World & SpaceMaster can be shared.
Anything from RMSS, RMFRP, RMC & RMX can be shared with ICE's written permission (needed for each thing you share)

note: these are simple rules of thumb. ICE actually has a generous policy on what can be shared and you can find it on their website.

Now if you write something yourself that does not use rules/charts/flavor text etc from any of these, then you may distribute it under whatever license you please. So a mod that uses CEATS or CEATS II is not going to be distributable, but if you wanted to write a level adjustment mod that pulls data from the creats and treats distributed with RMC and adjusts the stats on an encounter basis then that would be fine.

Let me know when you will be around and I can talk you through some things over vent/skype/mumble/GV or something.

nazzy
May 13th, 2011, 23:34
Thanks for the information. I've not had time to try much at this point but my goal is to try to update the Rolemaster ruleset to more closely match the 4e function. And try to learn how to add my own spells, skills, races, etc.

I think that creating extensions would be the correct way to accomplish this. Another addition I'd like to implement is the ability to view the creatures and spells in the existing modules using something other than alphabetical order.

RKBrumbelow; I sent you a PM in reference talking. Whenever you have time is fine. I check in here often.

Veldehar
May 16th, 2011, 02:33
Ohhh I hate boards logging me out!

The short version: Races, spell lists, custom magic items, etc are all relatively easy. With a healthy dose of pointers from StuartW and just looking at the code and piecing stuff together, I was able to throw together the drag and drop system, let alone tweak and revamp all kinds of stuff. You can find much of these conversations on the boards. Start by reverse engineering the code and lot of stuff will become clear.

I was going to make the Treasures drag and drop, and might get to that eventually, but I am currently obsessed with my own new D100 system, so most of my free time goes in that direction, LOL.

My campaign is extremely customized, as I use no races from RMC as printed. Some professions didn't fit, so i eliminated those, added others, new spell lists... lots of stuff. And I do not code for a living at all, so, if I can do it, others can. And Stuart has always been most helpful when I get stuck.

Lee