PDA

View Full Version : CnC ruleset repackaged and uploaded with Tokens

ddavison
May 7th, 2011, 16:56
Please uninstall your previous version prior to installing this. The new version installs as a PAK, but any extensions you have will still work and override functionality for patches or customizations.

This new format should make it easier for me to roll out new changes. It contains the players guide, the monster and treasure module, the intro adventure Rising Knight and a module for the C&C tokens.

Your existing download links have been updated to allow for additional downloads.

damned
May 8th, 2011, 00:56
woohoo -Ill try this later today - no risk of data loss when uninstalling?

ddavison
May 8th, 2011, 04:59
You can leave the other CnC ruleset there if you want, just don't uninstall it after or it will remove some of the files from the new install since they share the same name and location. If you don't uninstall the previous one, you'll just have double the hard drive usage for the ruleset portion, even though the one in the ruleset folder will never be used by the program again.

Galeric
May 8th, 2011, 21:37
Soo... what huh ?

Is this a brand new rule set that needs to be purchased again? Updated download links? what?

Is there a FAQ on this subject that i am missing ?

Someone throw me a bone here.

damned
May 8th, 2011, 22:47
go into store - view order history - click on order and download links will appear. i dont know if it is an updated version or not but it does contain about 150 icons in C&C style.

Galeric
May 9th, 2011, 01:46
oh yeah! Duhhh, i'm a dork, thats what i get for being half awake when trying to do something like this, thanks for waking me up damned!

ddavison
May 9th, 2011, 05:10
The tokens and the ruleset being a PAK file are the only difference. Functionality should be exactly the same. The tokens just got left off of the last update.

damned
May 10th, 2011, 10:59
i downloaded the update/tokens. I think i need to resize my other tokens - i had downloaded devins tokens but sized them down... i think that might have been a mistake now! not sure why i downsized them - maybe it was before i realised i could rescale the tokens or maybe some looked a different scale... anyway im sure it will work out.

Sorcerer
May 10th, 2011, 13:02
the standard C&C token sizes are in general much larger than those of other token packs/rulesets

Large is 160, Medium 128 , small 80, tiny 64
I think there is also Huge 200 and Gargantuan ~264 , but I'm not so sure about that (my memory is not what it was!)

These sizes were set by the original ruleset developer, and we have stuck with them since then - so all other (currently available) modules and manuals with tokens for C&C also use these sizes.

The images are all lifted from the manuals, and as such are in Greyscale, so the larger size is necessary to make out some of the details.
I tried smaller but it was a mess - basically some of them just looked like indistinct blobs - although that might be down to the software I used to try and rescale them.

damned
May 10th, 2011, 14:43
i am going to try some unscaled Devins icons tonight and see how they look. i was initially a little dissapointed at the c&c icons and then i looked at my c&c books and modules and i realised that they were pretty much exactly like they should be... thats something that 4E definitely has going for it - pretty pictures!

Sorcerer
May 10th, 2011, 16:27
well, in reality all tokens are equal as far as the ruleset is concerned, so you are free to use whichever ones you like from
any of the sets available in store (or any that you make yourself). If you need to change the names to match C&C monsters that's also easy done. The Store bought ones also tend to come in multiple scales (although in general all are smaller than the C&C ones) so there is some choice for the GM.

It would be nice if a professional artist would put together an official set in colour, of images specifically drawn with tokens in mind (instead of cropped manual images), unfortunately my talents do not lie in that direction...

Crowley72
May 11th, 2011, 07:48
I have purchased and used a few of Devin's "top down" token packs as well as downloaded the many freebies he has on his website.

I have edited these for size and have given them a circular base - so they don't get lost no matter how the map looks beneath them. The base also lets the details remain even at the smaller token sizes.

I have been able to match quite a lot of the standard creatures in C&C to these, as I believe Devin makes his "top down" tokens with D&D in mind. Both systems use a lot of the same kinds of monsters.

The combats in my game so far have been pretty vivid, and my players enjoy that they can maneuver tactically on the maps.

I don't think I've ever used a standard C&C token.

C

dr_venture
May 12th, 2011, 16:12
Hey Sorcerer or ddavidson,

I'm not interested in the tokens at all and am using the latest ruleset & update that Sorcerer released - do I need to worry about upgrading? I know dd has said it will be easier for him to roll out updates - if I don't upgrade, how will this affect me?

Griogre
May 13th, 2011, 04:25
You won't need to worry now. But on the next updates you will.

ddavison
May 13th, 2011, 06:15
Hey Sorcerer or ddavidson,

I'm not interested in the tokens at all and am using the latest ruleset & update that Sorcerer released - do I need to worry about upgrading? I know dd has said it will be easier for him to roll out updates - if I don't upgrade, how will this affect me?

No need to update now then. I'd recommend you just hold out until we have another update and then base that on the release notes we include with the announcement.

mbeacom
May 14th, 2011, 20:50
Not sure what I did wrong. I uninstalled my older C&C module and installed the new one but nothing changed. So I unstalled FG2 and my C&C module and then reinstalled both and now my C&C module appears to be gone. I can still create a campaign with the C&C ruleset but when I open the modules pane, theres nothing there. Also, when I look down at the ruleset notes, it still says 2.0, rather than 2.1. And still no tokens. I tried to redownload it to make sure I had the right ones but the link disappeared. Total fail on my part somehow I'm sure.

ddavison
May 15th, 2011, 01:15
The new download should be labeled DGA045_CnC_v21_Setup.exe. You can check for the existence of the Castles and Crusades.pak file in your program files\Fantasy Grounds folder and the modules folder should have the CastleTokens.mod, Rising_Knight.mod, TLG80114FG2_CnC_Players_Handbook_4th_Printing.mod and the Castles & Crusades-Monsters & Treasure.mod. Unfortunately, I just noticed that the ruleset notes still display as 2.0. The tokens now show up as a module that once activated will populate your token box.