PDA

View Full Version : game intrusion

inuroku842
May 5th, 2011, 03:53
my wife and i have the same ip address, but different fantasy grounds licenses and different host aliases. we both ran an ipconfig in command prompt and checked that our last 3 digits of our ip address were in fact different. My wife and I were playing a game together on fantasy grounds earlier tonight and I had a player from one of my other games intrude on ours. My wife had hosted the campaign, so I'm a little confused as to how they were able to get on under HER host alias, license, IP address, etc.

If anyone has any knowledge on the issue, or a solution, any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU!! : D

damned
May 5th, 2011, 05:39
the host alias that fg generates servers two purposes -
1. it is easier to remember than an ip address
2. some people hosting games will have dynamically assigned public ip addresses but fg will update this when the host game is launched

your router can only route incoming tcp 1802 to one single host machine. when you are swapping who is host you may also be reconfiguring your router -or- upnp is doing it for you.

when a player from one of your games tries to connect he ultimately connects to the same public ip address as your wifes game is using and if she is the one currently hosting the game the new connection will end up in her game....

im not sure i explained that very well..

Darkfaith
May 5th, 2011, 11:00
There are two IP addresses to be considered when FG is connecting. Your Internal IP, and your External IP. If you're both connecting to the internet through the same router, then your External IP (which is how the internet at large knows where to send your traffic, and is what the FG alias server sees) will be the same for both machines. Your Internal IP is what will be different for each machine.

When hosting a game, whether your players are connecting via IP, or alias, all traffic is sent to that external IP (and, even if the two aliases are different, they'll both point to that same external IP), and then from there your router will send the connection on to whichever machine is hosting at the time. The easiest way to keep people out of campaigns that they're not a part of, in this situation, would probably be to set a password for each campaign (or, the ones you want kept private, anyways).