PDA

View Full Version : Issue probably my fault

arydious
May 5th, 2011, 01:21
Ok so I am new to fg2, im in the process of uploading my campaign to fg and its all working fine. I also recently purchased the CSRD. My problem is if a player joins my game they dont see anything in the library. I have dragged the green check to all the books i feel the players should be able to look at.

I have had multiple people load in the say there is nothing in it.

What am i doing wrong, i have tried to Google it, and cant find anything i read over the Manuel and don't see anything in there so i am baffled and confused.

Leonal
May 5th, 2011, 01:40
Actually it's not your fault at all.

The modules are made to only show for the person who has the module (which should be changed IMO as it'd be like you were forbidden to show your physical books to your players at the table).

See the second to last post here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=55232#post55232

I'm not sure if it's a gray area of module functionality or not, but you can actually change this yourself I believe. If you open* the modules you want to share in Winrar** and rename client.xml to common.xml then your players should be able to see the modules when you share them within Fantasy Grounds. (FG crew please edit this post if this is against policy/license agreement, since it's a module for sale).

*You can also rename the .mod files to .zip, unpack them, rename the required files, zip them back up (make sure to zip the files directly without including the folder you unpacked them to, if you did) and rename back to mod.
**You can also use different zip programs, but I prefer Winrar.

arydious
May 5th, 2011, 01:48
Leonal you are my hero, I have been wracking my brain on this issue for a while, because like you said i figured if I am the GM then I should be able to share the books i have with my players. IMO I agree with you, I will try out the method you have provided to get it all set up.

Thanks

Leonal
May 6th, 2011, 03:45
Hmm, I may have been wrong in all this.
By changing to db.xml your players might not see the module at all... (which is the case with the monsters AND magic items modules as it is shipped).

Seeing from the other thread that your players all bought the package I'm sure they can change the magic item module to client.xml which will let them access it in FG.

Pardon my incomplete FG knowledge, I'm still learning too. :)

arydious
May 6th, 2011, 05:11
Thanks Leonal, I almost titled my post Leonal please come to my rescue again haha. Its all good you have helped me out a bunch being a complete newb here i am glad to see people are here to help.

Generally i dont want my players to see the book but at the current time a couple people are just joining and making characters so i said if they can afford magic items they can buy it.

Something that would be nice is to allow vision to part of the books, i dont mind if they see are the basic magic item things as long as they dont see the wondrous items etc.

Leonal
May 6th, 2011, 05:53
I think the best bet then is to keep the magic item section as is, and rather ask the players to check the allowed magic items at www.d20srd.org or their physical books should they have them, without looking at for example wondrous items (assuming your players are honest about it).

It's either all or nothing with this module and further dividing of the contents would have to be done by manually editing the module, which isn't worth it IMO.

Happy to help and happy gaming! :)

damned
May 6th, 2011, 06:03
make them buy the books... :)
they'll probably end up with a whole shelf full after a few years!

arydious
May 6th, 2011, 06:06
Damned, I didnt say it in this post but they all do own the books, My current problem that Leonal fixed was players could not see the Complete magic items book. Again Leonal told me how to fix this so now they can.

damned
May 6th, 2011, 06:11
no stress - it was meant as a light hearted joke - i was just laughing at the number of books/games on my shelf....

arydious
May 6th, 2011, 06:16
HAHA i believe it, I look at mine and its ridiculous as well, Sorry if i came off as harsh it wasn't intended