PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Combat Trackers?

computertrucker
April 30th, 2011, 09:24
So I am trying to set up my encounters beforehand to allow them to flow better, that way each time I come to a new Encounter I dont have to stop to place tokens on my maps, that are locked to the combat tracker. However from what I can tell there is no way to set up multiple Combat Trackers locked to seperate encounters. Am I correct in assuming there is no way to do this, or am I doing something wrong?

What I want to try and Accomplish is Plotting my map for my different encounters before the game actually begins. That way I am not fumbling thru token markers, trying to set them all up on the map everytime a fight breaks out.
That way All I have to do is open up the Encounter click a button and then mark unhide tokens or at least only have to unhide the ones I want the group to see.

Anyone know if this is possible? If not, it would be awesome to have something like this added to the client.

computertrucker
April 30th, 2011, 10:12
Ohh by the way I am running the game with DnD4E... I was just watching Savage Worlds can do this, but I am not seeing anything for 4th edition being able to do it.

damned
April 30th, 2011, 11:13
haha - i was watching some of doswelks videos today too :)

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2011, 00:58
I'm not aware of any ruleset that has done this yet.

It might be able to be done with some ruleset or extension coding, but it would take some investigation. The general idea would be to specify map and location for each token in an encounter window. Then, when you add the encounter, it populates the map as well.

It's on my list to investigate for future releases, but not scheduled yet. If anyone takes this on and runs into limitations of the client, let me know.

Regards,
JPG

Zeus
May 1st, 2011, 02:24
Sounds like an interesting addition to have, it would eliminate the need to have additional marked up encounter maps for the DM for each story encounter. It should also go someway to reducing adventure module size. Seeing as your busy JPG, I'll add it to my project list too ... first one to come up with a solution wins. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif

I have just finished up some tweaks to the 4E Partysheet, Tables and Parcels extensions, I'm working on multi-layer images at the moment and general imagecontrol tweaks but might be able to make a start next week. :)

computertrucker
May 1st, 2011, 05:26
Actually Savage Worlds has done this according to this video... Which would help out tremendously, if it was in other rulesets.

here is a link to the video on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o75sLaHgOcg

VenomousFiligree
May 1st, 2011, 10:25
Funny, I want it the other way, I'd like to be able to drag Encounters into my existing Combat Tracker (in Savage Worlds) :)

computertrucker
May 2nd, 2011, 00:21
as it stands now you can always drag monsters into your current encounters on the fly.

However you cant plan multiple combat trackers currently which doesnt allow you to plan maps effectively with preset tokens. Thats is what I am wanting to be able to do.

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2011, 01:43
Basically, it's an implementation choice. Some rulesets have implemented a multiple combat tracker scenario, while others have gone with implementing encounters which can be added to the combat tracker.

There are benefits and drawbacks to both. I prefer the encounter building approach myself, due to the ability to manage the data better. Also, the overhead of managing tokens in the ruleset code is much simpler. However, as you pointed out, you get to place a token from any tracker on the map with the multi-combat tracker approach. In the end, I expect to have the ability to specify map and location for each entry in an encounter to allow better encounter setup.

Regards,
JPG

VenomousFiligree
May 2nd, 2011, 09:47
as it stands now you can always drag monsters into your current encounters on the fly.
But not "Encounters" ie 1 Orc Leader, 2 Orc Bowmen, 5 Orc Swordsman. All pre-prepared to be done on one drag and drop.

computertrucker
May 2nd, 2011, 12:23
Hmm maybe a merging of the 2 would be a good route... To allow people to do both styles?

I am all for being able to add to an encounter. However for me. I like to also be able to plan things in advance to keep the game flowing as much as possible.

Moon Wizard
May 2nd, 2011, 19:14
I agree completely. It's definitely something I want to see in my game as well. It's more a matter of bandwidth at this point.

Regards,
JPG

DNH
May 3rd, 2011, 11:31
I think two separate items have been raised here. One is the ability to have multiple combat trackers, and so be able to bring one up that has been pre-populated with your NPCs. I see that working nicely in the Savage Worlds video and, if I understand things correctly, that would be fairly easy to implement for 4e. On the other hand, you already have very similar functionality with the 4e Encounters, so I am not sure it's worth the candle just for this.

The other item though is the ability to have these encounters/combat trackers keyed to their maps and have the tokens positioned on the maps, so the *whole* encounter is fully prepared and ready to go, just needs bringing up and an initiative roll. I don't see that in the SW videos, it's certainly not possible in 4e and I believe this would be the sticking point for any implementation. (What the 4e ruleset *does* allow you to do, by the way, is add all the NPCs to the map at once, which speeds things up a bit.)

So, like I say, preparing multiple combat trackers alone ahead of time is already done for 4e with Encounters. But the additional thing with the tokens placed on the map is something else, is something which is probably problematic, but is also something I would very much like to see.

Zeus
May 3rd, 2011, 13:38
The other item though is the ability to have these encounters/combat trackers keyed to their maps and have the tokens positioned on the maps, so the *whole* encounter is fully prepared and ready to go, just needs bringing up and an initiative roll. I don't see that in the SW videos, it's certainly not possible in 4e and I believe this would be the sticking point for any implementation. (What the 4e ruleset *does* allow you to do, by the way, is add all the NPCs to the map at once, which speeds things up a bit.)

The additional functionality you mention is on my project list (number 2) at the moment. Hoping to begin looking at the code, later today/tomorrow to get the process started. I have already determined a couple of dependencies including the ability for a DM to hover the mouse of an image/map to get x,y coordinates which I am incorporating into an Image tools update in parallel.

I think adding token positions to pre-dtermined points should be doable using the existing API however I should have a better view by mid-week if all goes to plan.

Moon Wizard
June 16th, 2011, 04:45
With a few ideas from DrZ, I've added encounter token pre-placement to the v2.8 test release for both the 3.5E and 4E rulesets.

Cheers,
JPG

computertrucker
June 16th, 2011, 17:28
This is awesome news

Zeus
June 16th, 2011, 17:33
Glad to help.