PDA

View Full Version : Mac Os X 10.5.8.

g0ld3nb0y
April 29th, 2011, 15:49
Hi I have a Mac OS X, and really, really want to play with friends with Fantasy Grounds.

What's the best solution?

- Waiting for you to upgrade the program until it work by itself on my Maccintosh?

- Download, install WineHQ, and be assured that it really work?

- Pay 40$ for Cross Over and play with it? But I think it cost like 40$ each 4 months, so It is a little expensive 4 me (still a student)

- ***Another*** option? What??

Thank you, my pleasure is to play on your marvellous program :D

-g0ld3nb0y

VenomousFiligree
April 29th, 2011, 16:31
I don't think there will be a native Mac version any time soon...

You only have to pay more than the initial amount for Crossover if you want subsequent upgrades (I believe).

FG works fine in Crossover

RiverRat
April 30th, 2011, 23:04
I second what MurghBpurn says. It was just a one time purchase.

Fantasy Grounds works great in Crossover. It has been very stable. I've been using FG under Crossover for over a year with very few problems. I would imagine that FG will work just a well under Wine, since Crossover is based on that. YMMV.

RR

Moon Wizard
May 1st, 2011, 00:43
We've generally had good luck with people running FG in Wine/Crossover on the Mac. There have been a few situations where the person was unable to set it up, but you can try it out for free by installing the unregistered version or the demo version.

Generally, people have had better luck with Crossover, than with Wine directly. Probably because Crossover does a lot of the configuration management for you.

There's a good thread by DrZ on the forums with his experience and tips for configuring FG on a Mac.

Cheers,
JPG

Zeus
May 1st, 2011, 02:41
g0ld3nb0y - I use CrossOver 9.2 on OS X 10.6.7 and can absolutely recommend it for FGII on Mac. As per moon_wizards comment Wine will work too but requires a bit of hands on configuration. There are a few users also using Parallels and VMware however there have been reports of difficulties in some cases for some users. In addition both Parallels and VMware require a Windows license whereas CrossOver and Wine do not. Lastly one of my users uses BootCamp to dual boot his Mac, he therefore runs FGII under Windows running natively on his Mac, again for licensing/work productivity issues - I avoided this route.

As your running an older version of OS X, I would recommend downloading the CrossOver trial and trying it out first, perhaps with the FGII demo if you don't already have a full or lite copy. This should help identify any OS X or graphics driver issues (watch out for this on older macs, especially laptops) before your committed to the purchase.

As for ongoing support, I originally took out the 1yr support package (mainly for the updates) however I have since discontinued the renewal as 8.1-9.2 all worked fine for me. 9.2 continues to work well, even with the latest FGII development and test releases.

Hope that helps.

g0ld3nb0y
May 1st, 2011, 03:01
Yeah actually, I have Windows Vista to "boot camp" for free on my Mac, SO! I'll boot it and try the demo and see and give you news about it after see if it worked (or else, what the damn, I'll pay 30$ for Cross Over :)

I'll inform once it is done if it work or not :) Thanks very much, 'later !