PDA

View Full Version : What Voice Clients do you use?

computertrucker
April 25th, 2011, 13:09
Just curious to see what all voice Clients people are using to run their games. Or if they use voice clients at all??

I have been running my current game now since the end of Feb, We had had 8 sessions so far, At first we were using Ventrillo but since decided we didnt really want to pay for voice so now we all are using Skype. Which actually has much clearer and superior audio over vent..and its free.

Its like being a on a party line on a phone. Unlike Vent which if someone keys up to talk it completely walks all over the person how might currently be talking.

So what Voice Client are you guys using?

Leonal
April 25th, 2011, 13:43
Skype only. Most of the times it works extremely well, and have only had a few minor bad experiences due to a player having poor bandwidth.

Tried out GSC, but the audio was so bad for some and it didn't work well with voice activated microphone. Also we dislike push to talk. :)

mr_h
April 25th, 2011, 14:34
In games I've played, I've used Ventrillo. In games I've GM'd, I've used Mumble.
Both are good, I like Mumble because its full featured and free.

CAPryde
April 25th, 2011, 15:17
I had the opposite experience in my games. I started out using Skype, but it seemed like players with connection issues were a constant problem. I switched to Ventrilo, hosting my own server (as long as you stay at 8 or fewer users, the server program is free), and that has worked quite well.

Andugus
April 25th, 2011, 16:07
Ventrilo server run from home allows up to 8 to connect for free. I find it to be the most stable. Skype doesn't even run on my Windows client anymore, something broke in the registry.

Valarian
April 25th, 2011, 17:40
Never used a voice client in games. Keep meaning to give it a try for OOC chat but never have got around to it.

VenomousFiligree
April 25th, 2011, 17:48
Skype when I (rarely) use it.

Doswelk
April 25th, 2011, 19:15
Mumble, use it for all out games.

Zeus
April 25th, 2011, 20:37
Skype for straight up VoIP OOC, Mumble if I also want to mix in background music or ambient sound effects.

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2011, 20:41
I found Skype bandwidth issues originally when I looked into this 5 years ago. Bandwidth might be better, but Ventrilo is such low bandwidth overhead and we use for MMO games too.

JPG

computertrucker
April 26th, 2011, 03:22
How is mumble bandwidth wise compared to skype? Any one know? I might check out Mumble

madman
April 26th, 2011, 03:46
The bandwidth can be adjusted, but it still uses alot IMHO.

I like Teamspeak 3, low bandwidth use, with good sound quality.

Chris

Griogre
April 26th, 2011, 04:37
I use Teamspeak 3, the ability to adjust the codex for bandwith is a good feature. I've also used GSC which is free. Skype, for me seemed to have trouble once you had more than 5 or so - but that was a while back. I've also used Ventrillo as well.

Phystus
April 26th, 2011, 23:52
My group uses the free version of Ventrilo, hosted by one of my players. Codex choice seemed to make a great deal of difference in both sound and bandwidth, but unfortunately I don't recall which one we use. I tried to look it up but apparently that only works when the connection is active. :(

~P

Galeric
April 27th, 2011, 17:41
I use Ventrillo, anything with a voice activation key. Not a real big fan of Full Duplex voice clients because i am really not interested in listening to someones TV in the back ground, or them breathing, or even the wife talking on the phone behind the guy etc.

mfitzi
April 27th, 2011, 18:38
...or even the wife talking on the phone behind the guy etc.

LOL, I agree! :D

Magnatude
May 2nd, 2011, 06:06
I use skype, seems to work well. And I use AV VCS Gold for adding sound effects/background ambiance/music and of course, voice changing.... Works good in skype.

phantomwhale
May 2nd, 2011, 06:39
Mumble has been my client of choice. Have had some disappointing results on the receiving end of Ventrillo sessions and Skype was generally good but if the person who starts the call dies then the call totally drops (unlike mumble / Ventrillo, where the server stays up !)

Can't say any of them have been 100% perfect though. But we're sticking with Mumble for now (as we get free hosting from UKgame)

Doswelk
May 3rd, 2011, 09:38
Can't say any of them have been 100% perfect though. But we're sticking with Mumble for now (as we get free hosting from UKgame)

Yes Free Mumble is very nice to have, although last year when every day at 8pm (right when our game would start) their server would suffer a thermal shutdown :s

We had to go back to Skype and that soon reminded me why we used Mumble instead.

Fixed again now and very happy as well with it.

phantomwhale
July 30th, 2011, 00:29
UKGame mumble seems to be down for the last 2-3 weeks, with no response from support. Anyone else found it was busted for them ?

We have had two Skype sessions, and I'd rather not endure a third. So if it's a problem affecting everyone, I'm going to assume we have gotten what we paid for with these free accounts, and it's time to find another free source or even *gasp* pay.

mr_h
July 30th, 2011, 02:57
UKGame mumble seems to be down for the last 2-3 weeks, with no response from support. Anyone else found it was busted for them ?

We have had two Skype sessions, and I'd rather not endure a third. So if it's a problem affecting everyone, I'm going to assume we have gotten what we paid for with these free accounts, and it's time to find another free source or even *gasp* pay.

Check your PM's, I might be able to help you out.

Fenloh
July 30th, 2011, 19:24
I am using TS3 as most of the Drachenzwinge Comunity in Germany. The Bandwidth is as you need it (great feature) and the Quality is the best of all the above Voice Clients.

Fenloh