PDA

View Full Version : A Recommendation for the Devs!

computertrucker
April 25th, 2011, 04:22
Hello all. So I started using Fantasy Grounds back in October of 2010 attempting to run a 4th Edition DnD game. Unfortunately after 2 or 3 sessions the game fell apart. Group was to big (7 players) and no one really knew the software, made for a very bumpy and slow going ride. People lost interest quickly.

This last February I attempted again this time with a much smaller group. Myself running, and 3 players, we just added a 4th last night. We have had a few bumps along the way getting the software working right and figuring things out, but overall the group is having a blast.

During lasts night game. I had a player trying to make change to one of his powers he entered wrong and he ended up deleting it by mistake. Which I have them write all the fluff of the power on their power write up when they are implementing their characters (like i said we are playing 4th edition dnd and there is fluff to every power).. Anyway as I said he deleted his power by mistake. This is also not the first time this has occured when I have had players make an adjustment. Well he was like they should really make it where you can lock a power in so that it is not deleted, or make it where you have to click a box to confirm you are deleting something.

I have to say I agree completely. So I would like to make a recommendation to add a confirmation for a deletion of power or a way to lock a power to stop it from being deleted accidentally.

damned
April 25th, 2011, 08:26
being myself new to the game im not 100% sure this will work but it might well in the future. if you look in your campaign folder you will see some xml files - all the character stuff seems to be in the db.xml file.
i try to make a backup of the entire campaign folder (i just right click and send to compressed file and give it a new version number or date) before each game. the db.xml can be viewed with your browser and you can copy the meat of your missing data from that file.
also there is a file called db.backup.xml although im not sure how often that gets updated....

computertrucker
April 25th, 2011, 12:05
Thanks I am sure that will help somewhat. However I think it would still be a great idea to put a confirmation for deletion it would save alot of headaches to begin with.

Instead of having to go searching thru files and whatnot.

damned
April 25th, 2011, 15:31
true - but one you can do now and the other you have to wait on it becoming someone elses priority...

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2011, 20:49
computertrucker,

I agree with you completely, and I've had this happen to me as well. Luckily for my players, I set up all their powers for them, so they rarely have this happen.

In my development versions, I've started adding a 2-level confirmation to the delete radial menus. For future versions, I'd like to revisit the whole approach. Maybe go down more of an iPhone style add/delete path. (i.e. button to add or delete, and the delete button enables individual delete buttons)

Cheers,
JPG