PDA

View Full Version : Castles & Crusades - One shot

damned
April 25th, 2011, 03:19
Will be running a couple of one shot games to learn the system and the fantasy grounds tools. Will be using a couple of pre-built modules which we will start but unlikely finish in the time available.
Will have some 1st, 2nd and 3rd level pre-gen characters to choose from - level will depend on how many players we get.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=626
Please check the time using this link:
https://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Castles+%26+Crusades+-+One+Shot&iso=20110430T22&p1=240&ah=3

damned
April 28th, 2011, 01:45
Have updated thread in Guild House:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14546

dr_venture
April 29th, 2011, 01:39
I'd pop in, but I just can't do 5am. Hope it goes great for you!

damned
April 29th, 2011, 01:48
id like to try and pop in on one of your games doc - you seem to be very into the c&c mechanics and game set. id like to see how you do things :)

dr_venture
April 29th, 2011, 02:21
I'd love to run for ya, but it'll have to wait until I get a usable Net connection. I'm on a satellite connection and have confirmed with a couple of different folks now that I cannot host a game. I *can* connect and play, but no hosting.

I'm an old school gamer as I have apparently become old school, by virtue of being old. But I think I run it pretty much how the ruleset is set up to run. I am a total novice at actually running a game for remote players, as my main players are my son and wife right now, which makes communicating ideas pretty simple. I don't have much knowledge to impart on that subject.

My main mod is that I use a hit location chart that is roughly based on a homebrew chart crossed with the old MARS combat hit location chart. It has results like, "95-98: General cranium, +2 damage. CON check (+5 if protected by helm) - failure means stunned for 1d4 rounds". Hits to hands can cause weapons to drop, hit to knees can cause people to fall and/or have their movements temporarily affected... FG makes it easy to add little tidbits that expire.

Also, 1 is always a fumble and 20 is always a critical, and I use the RoleMaster fumbles and criticals pretty much verbatim. The RM crits span everything from +1 damage to horrible eviscerations, but even rolling totally randomly (meaning I haven't weighted the crits towards being whimpy) I haven't had any instant death crits come up yet, so I think it's adds color without much complexity or danger of auto-killing many PCs.

Also, if you're in need of a rulebook with all of the D20 spells in it (for the purposes of making it easy to port over D20 materials to C&C) I did put one together for use with FG. It's all OGL material and I've included the appropriate legal info in the module, so it should be totally legit to give you a copy. They're all draggable, too - just let me know and I'll post it somewhere else (the FG folks seem leery of posting here).

damned
April 29th, 2011, 05:01
thanks doc - that worked perfectly. i wont use it just yet - ill stick to the included spells for now but once i get the hang of things i will likely let players use it. did that take a long time to build?

dr_venture
April 29th, 2011, 05:31
Glad you find it useful. Be careful using it, though - I only intended the D20 module to be a reference to make converting the tons of existing D20 adventures (etc.) easier. I didn't try to reconcile the two game systems. If you examine the C&C spells versus the D20 ones, you'll find that there is lots of overlap, and some significant differences in the way they work. Other than converting adventures, I do use it to allow my clerics to access the domain spells, as that makes me happy :D

When I'm converting a D20 module, I try to use the C&C spells first, and just use the D20 as a backup if I can't find the right C&C ones. For that, it makes converting stuff *way* easier. But however you use it, enjoy!

It was quite a pain in the rear to create. I hear there is a utility for creating FG modules out there somewhere, but I did this one the hard way: just coded it in XML. Specifically:
* I looked through a tutorial I found for a genera idea of what to do;
* Looked through the C&C ruleset to see how the spells there were formatted;
* Figured out where the D20 & C&C spell fields matched or didn't;
* Did a metric ton pile of text formatting, adding XML tags, removing funky chars that caused FG to gag on the module, etc.;

About 1/4 of the work was the research, and 3/4 was the text formatting. I'd love to have a reference of the monsters for the same reason, but I haven't been able to stomach waking on the project. Someday.

taoistpunk
April 29th, 2011, 22:42
Hey Doc, Would love a copy of that d20 spells module...any chance I could get me some? I currently play in an FG2 C&C campaign and that would come in super handy.

Us "Old School" guys need to stick together... :D

dr_venture
April 29th, 2011, 23:02
Sure - anyone who's interested can grab it (for now at least) at:

https://www.castlecorps.com/share/CnC_d20_Spells.zip

Hope you enjoy it!