PDA

View Full Version : New user Version query

Lindraskada
April 22nd, 2011, 22:57
hello, just been looking at the various options for buying this, and am confused by THIS in the "ultimate" description:

"Host an unlimited number of unregistered players (limited only by your connection speeds)"

what does that actually mean ?

looking into aquiring this for a small group of friends, but trying to work out best way of selling it to them, literally ;)

Griogre
April 22nd, 2011, 23:42
To understand the ultimate licences you have to understand the other license types. FG currently has four licenses.

1) The unregistered license. The unregistered license doesn't cost anything. Players can only use it to connect to someone running a game with the Ultimate license.

2) The lite license. This costs about $24. It allows a player to connect to someone running a game with a Full or Ultimate License.

3) The full license. This costs about $40. It allows a GM to run a game that players with the lite license can connect to. It also allows the owner to connect and play in a game run by someone with either a Full or Ultimate license.

4) The ultimate license. This costs about $150. It allows a GM to run a game that anyone with another license can connect with. It also allows the owner to play in a game with a GM that has either a Full or Ultimate license.

Thus the ultimate and full licenses are the GM versions and allow the owners to also play as well. The lite and unregistered versions are player only licenses. There also is a bundle discount for buying more than one full and/or lite licenses at once with one payment.

For a small group of friends it would probably be cheaper to buy a full and lite licenses. However, another consideration is do you have more than one GM in the group? If so then buying a few fulls would fit your group better. On the other hand if your friends are short of cash and you only have one GM then buying one ultimate license might be worth it despite the cost.

Ictinike
April 22nd, 2011, 23:49
Well said but think of it this way..

I purchased the Ultimate license and I can host as many games as I want for either Ultimate, Full or Lite owners of the software AS WELL anyone who downloads and installs as `Unregistered`.

`Unregistered` means they don't have to purchase anything but does need the software installed.

In my table of online friends I purchased the Ultimate so my players wouldn't have to purchase anything. Now I could have gone the Full license with some Lite licenses to give to my players but once you do that that license is consumed; you cannot re-give it to another player legitamately. For me, having a possible unknown number of players over the course of my usage of the software, I opted for the Ultimate so I don't have to encourage anyone to purchase the Lite to connect.

A full license is the same as an Ultimate however those `Unregistered` players cannot connect and play; they must own a Lite or above license to play.

Hope I helped a bit as it is confusing and Griogre said it from the bottom up which is correct but I tend to think of it from the top down :)

Lindraskada
April 23rd, 2011, 00:37
Thanks for quick + useful replies both :)