PDA

View Full Version : New to FG and DnD

Kevhill
April 22nd, 2011, 22:24
Hello to everyone at Fantasy Grounds!

I've been an avid fantasy and rpg video game player for all my life. I've been playing MMO's and been finding the experience so un-social and I want something a little more social. I'm a young guy and I recently for the first time, played a game of DnD with a group of old friends, and I have to say it was amazing.

So where im going with this is that I really have no idea where to get started. I found this site online and I would love to get into the game, but one other little problem is money, I just became a dad and funds are tight. So I have a few questions:

1. How much will this really cost me in the end? What do I need to really get into 4E?

2. I have the demo, will I be able to actually try and participate in a game online?

3. What is a average time for a gaming Session? (With my friends we played like 8hours straight lol)

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to look over my post. I look forward to hearing back from some of you. =D

Valarian
April 22nd, 2011, 22:47
1. If you're looking at playing 4e D&D, a D&D4e Players Guide for the rules and a Lite Fantasy Grounds License to use the software. The software is just like a tabletop for running the game. It's not a video game or MMO. It's a way to run pen-and-paper RPGs over a web connection.
2. The demo is standalone. Only another demo version can connect to it. You need at least a Lite license to play in most games. If the GM has an Ultimate license, they may let you in to the game with an unregistered copy of the software. If you want to run games at some point, it's worth looking at a Full license.
3. Around 3 or 4 hours I would think.

Kevhill
April 22nd, 2011, 23:23
Awesome thanks for the info. So basically just the actual hard copy of DnD 4th and a version of the game.

And so the demo really just gets you into using the FG program?

That sounds about a perfect gaming session. My next question would be are there any sessions for newer guys happening tonight or Saturday morning that would be able to get me in to try this out?

Let me know, thanks for the help.

Ictinike
April 22nd, 2011, 23:43
FG2 isn't a game, it's a tool.

Using the D&D hard backs, online resources and others out there you use FG2 to either connect to someone who'll run a game for a number of remotely connected players -or with the proper license- you can run a game.

The software does nothing itself and it's up to the GM to build content for their players. Using FG2 to distribute and run a "virtual" game of table top as if you where there in person with the GM. Again, without the GM, content and a license that can GM, the software does nothing.

I say this because based on your comments I'm thinking you still think FG2 is a "game" which it is not. If I've failed at reading into your comments my apologies.

Cheers,
~Ictinike

Griogre
April 23rd, 2011, 00:12
The demo is just to show you what Fantasy Grounds can do and what a virtual table top is. As far as seeing if someone is running a game check the Guild Hall or 4E forums for a game. Go back a few weeks to see how many games that you would be interested in are starting. I would say most people running a game at 1st level would not mind a new player but you should ask.

Another consideration when you are looking for a game is your timezone and that of the server. I use to play in a game that was run Friday nights in Germany - which was Friday morning for me - a perfect time for me at the time.

Kevhill
April 23rd, 2011, 06:18
Awesome, you guys have been so much help, I definitely thought FG was something like a game. But I get that its designed to make these types of games possible.

Now I even like the idea more now. I'm home all weekend and if there is someone who could let in on a game I would really love to check it out. Give me a reply even if you need someone to fill in for a day. I'm a quick learner and would, again, really like to check out the online feel.

damned
April 23rd, 2011, 07:33
im running a one shot game - hopefully - of castles and crusades - kinda like original d&d - nice and early saturday morning. game will be on at 1200UTC so for you in the US it could be 9am or earlier i think.

Kevhill
April 23rd, 2011, 07:42
you know i would really love to be there and I won't say for sure that i can't, but thats 6am my time. If im up with they baby and you need 1 more, ill be online and message you before hand.

Thanks again for the info and support, I can't wait to try out FG.

damned
April 23rd, 2011, 09:55
game will be a bit rough around the edges but it will hopefully run - it will run if at least one turns up. 6am? more likely that your baby WILL be up!

Valarian
April 23rd, 2011, 10:08
If the GMT timezone fits better, I'm possibly running a one-shot for Castles and Crusades this week. We'd run 8pm to 11pm.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13632

It'd be an idea to post up your rough location (county/state & country) in your profile. GMs can see whether you're likely to be interested in their games.

vodokar
April 23rd, 2011, 10:20
My recommendation for the least expensive way to start playing 4e would be one of three options:

1) Rules Compendium (softcover for $20) plus your choice of either Heroes of Forgotten Kingdoms or Heroes of Forgotten Lands (either one is softcover for $20)

or

2) Core 4e PHB1 (hardcover for $40)

Either choice costs the same and gives you rules for playing the game and building some characters.

or

3) Rules Compendium only plus a subscription to the DDI service for $9.95 (monthly) or approx. $75 annually.

Out of the three, I would recommend option 3 as best. For that $9.95 a month, you essentially gain online access to all the information from all the books and magazines printed without having to actually buy the books. You also gain access to the character builder, which makes life tons simpler.

Regarding play sessions: most FG games meet 3-4 hours weekly or fortnightly.

I totally understand where your coming from with MMO's. I played Pen and Paper RPG's for 20 years, then had to gravitate to CRPG's and MMO's due to not having anyone to play with in real life. MMO's are no replacement whatsoever for actually playing a PNP game with real people and with a real DM telling a story and intelligently controlling the adversaries.

I've been in heaven since discovering FG 3 years ago.

Kevhill
April 23rd, 2011, 21:10
Perfect, during the week is pretty good for me. Ill be sure to add my time zone and country too.

Im from Alberta, Canada and I live MST.

And I was wondering, is Castles and Crusades Dnd? or is it another pen and paper game all together?

Kevhill
April 23rd, 2011, 21:24
Awesome thanks Vodokar that was exactly what I needed. I really don't think i need the hard copy so option 3 does sound really good, especially if I stop playing then I can cancel. Overall though, is it more convienient to have the books in hand?

And so obviously FG has been up and active for a while, so thats really good to hear. Thanks again for all the info

damned
April 23rd, 2011, 23:01
re: Castles & Crusades

it is intended to be be very similar to OD&D and 1E/AD&D with some refinements....

from the Players Handbook intro:

In the immortal days of our youth we found high adventure and fought many a campaign against all manner of villainy and evil. We slew dragons, brought down corrupt tyrants, explored uncharted territories and freed the world of grotesque creatures of mythical proportions.
We were heroes on a crusade. These youthful adventures were brought to us by Gary Gygax through the medium of role play and the fantastic game that made it all possible. We bring you our own game now, one that we hope captures those early days of grand quests and exploration. The Castles & Crusades role playing game pulls on those early experiences and makes them real again.

and from the website:

Castles & Crusades ®
A rules light fantasy role playing game with one of the fastest growing fan bases in the world. Castles & Crusades' easy to understand Siege Engine brings loads of fun and enjoyment to the gaming table.

•Best played with 2-8 players.
•Learn to play in as little as 15 minutes.
•Character generation in under 15 minutes.
•Attribute based rules system.
•Over 75 products to choose from.
•Massive online support community.

Worlds of Epic Adventure

Beyond the comforts of home lie worlds of adventure. Here the brave take up sword and shield, bring sorcery to bare, call upon eldritch powers that only the wise dare use, or slip through the shadows to tread gloried paths of danger. With grim resolve, adventurers plunge into the maelstrom of uncertainty to plunder the dragon's horde. They track the wastelands and wilderness and creep into the dark, hidden places of the world to arrest the monstrous foe of his treasure. These are adventurers, bold and brave, heroes of renown. These are the characters of Castles & Crusades.

What Lies Herein
Castles & Crusades is a fantasy role playing game with countless possibilities. Designed for use with multiple players, Castles & Crusades puts you in charge of the adventure path. Included within are all the rules of play, how to get started in your very own role playing game, how to run the game and play in it.

It's easy to learn attribute-based rules system allows players to choose among 13 archetypal character classes and 7 races to create their characters. Spells, equipment, fast-paced combat rules, and all essential information needed to play a game of Castles & Crusades is in this book. Further, the attribute-based rules system allows Castle Keeper's to design and run adventures as they see fit, without all the crowded, complex rules of other role playing games.

and a link to the (free) quick start rules:
https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/tlg2010quickstartpdf.pdf

vodokar
April 24th, 2011, 01:07
Overall though, is it more convienient to have the books in hand?

Depends on the book. You'll need the Rules Compendium.

A lot of the other books, however, such as PH1, PH2, PH3, Arcane Power, Divine Power, Heroes of Fallen Lands etc. etc. are essentially only lists of power and feat options for characters.

You'll have access to all that information via Character Builder and it's actually more convenient that way. I suppose in an ideal world, it would be nice to have it all, but it just isn't necessary and many times, not even more convenient. Trying to make a 4e character totally by hand from books is not such an easy thing, but is a cinch with the software assistance.

I am a DM, so I have a lot of books in my library, but almost all of it is not player oriented stuff like the books I mentioned above. They are DM stuff like Underdark, Book of Planes, Hammerfast, Open Graves, setting books and adventure modules and such.

So, basically, as a player only, you'll be able to keep your monetary investment to a minimum. Start out with just the rule book and DDI. If you decide to buy hard copies of some books later, it will be after you've had a chance to see what type of access to information that DDI gives you and you'll be able to pick and choose what you want.

It's always more expensive for Game Masters, because we buy all the stuff for creating the worlds and such that the players play in.

Kevhill
April 24th, 2011, 04:10
@ damned

Thats looks really cool, I would really like to try it out. Seeing as i really don't really have much experience in DnD, i'm sure I could get into C&C.

@ vodokar

Again that info really helped, I think I am gonna get the DDI Service and go from there. Hopefully I can find something going on this week.

Thanks again everyone

damned
April 24th, 2011, 04:30
what is your timezone?
unfortunately it seems im at the wrong end of the world when it comes to scheduling games... i have an ultimate license and castles&crusades rulesets and am busily learning them.
i am planning to run a few one shot games on saturday nights at eith 8pm or 10pm sydney time (utc+10 eg time of this post is 1.19pm sunday) over the next month. if your time permits please join in.

Kevhill
April 24th, 2011, 05:56
My timezone is GMT-7

So its looks like we might be a ways off, I would be happy to join in. Hopefully the times can work out for the both of us.

damned
April 24th, 2011, 11:13
so a 10pm game would be 5am and 11pm would be 6am...

Valarian
April 24th, 2011, 13:54
For time conversions, the time and date website produces a URL that will give players the correct time for their zone.
e.g. https://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=5&iso=20110424T20&p1=136&ah=3

Kevhill
April 24th, 2011, 17:57
Thanks for that table Valarian that helped a lot.

So Damned if you were to start a game I think I could actually be there, but I would be playing before, which I have no problem with.

Its really up to you, because I would only have 2-2.5 hours to play. Let my know if you think that would work....

Edit: I actually have tomorrow off, so count me in for 8pm Sydney time!

damned
April 25th, 2011, 01:13
hi kev - not 100% which you are responding to now as the one shot was scheduled for saturday just past.... however if i can try to run one tonight if you are interested...
https://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20110425T20&p1=240&ah=4

Kevhill
April 25th, 2011, 02:25
Ahh darn, no worries. Wasnt sure if you got one up and running.

Just let me know if ur getting another one going on.

damned
April 25th, 2011, 03:05
i will run one next saturday...
will post details shortly...

damned
April 25th, 2011, 03:20
Will be running a couple of one shot games to learn the system and the fantasy grounds tools. Will be using a couple of pre-built modules which we will start but unlikely finish in the time available.
Will have some 1st, 2nd and 3rd level pre-gen characters to choose from - level will depend on how many players we get.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=626
Please check the time using this link:
https://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Castles+%26+Crusades+-+One+Shot&iso=20110430T22&p1=240&ah=3

Kevhill
April 25th, 2011, 03:53
That will actually work perfect, ill be up and ready for 6am my time then.

So what all is needed? Just FG or do you use some type of Voice Chat program like ventrilo?

damned
April 25th, 2011, 08:28
lets see how many others (hopefully some!) want to play and we can have a vote on voice+chat or just chat. i will prolly open a teamspeak or ventrillo account if we decide to do voice+chat
we will always still do chat to ensure that anyone playing at time of day that needs quiet will still be involved and up to date.

Kevhill
April 25th, 2011, 18:10
right good call, I guess I will be up at 6 on a saturday... I would be upset if I got woken up haha.

Realistically I have no problem just using chat but thought I would ask.

And so you have a few characters premade? I don't need to make my own or anything?

damned
April 25th, 2011, 23:14
i will have characters mostly made but will prolly let ppl finish them off to get some sort of affinity for them. without the c&c ruleset you prolly cant create your own until you connect to my game.

Kevhill
April 25th, 2011, 23:29
gotcha, all right ill make sure I get in touch with you before next Saturday.