PDA

View Full Version : Necropolis 2350 now available in the store

ddavison
April 22nd, 2011, 04:02
There is a Setting version and a Player's Guide only version available. You still need a Full or Ultimate license to use either one, but you can purchase and reference the Player's only version if you participate as a GM but don't need the extra options.

CAPryde
April 22nd, 2011, 16:04
This. is. awesome.

As soon as I wrap up my semester in the next couple of weeks, I'll be able to start gaming again, and I will definitely be looking to put together a Necropolis game, probably using the "Gamma Front" campaign setting that I wrote for the 2351-55 Update.

Kingfish
April 25th, 2011, 21:11
Hey I am looking to run some futuristic type Sci-Fi type stories...I've got the base ruleset for SWs but, would this setting be better as a base for these stories? I am looking at Serenity type game first but would also like to run a Starship Troopers type or Aliens vs Pred type game also.

Thanks for your time,
K

ddavison
April 26th, 2011, 02:56
I will leave that to fellow gamers to answer who may be more familiar with the setting. I will say that there are lots of stats, fluff and adventure ideas included though and you could probably get some good mileage out of it even if you ran a homebrew campaign of some sort with Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds is pretty flexible all around and can run practically any setting.

CAPryde
April 26th, 2011, 03:30
For running a Starship Troopers type game, the Necropolis rules would work well. It would also serve you well for an Aliens scenario (meaning space marines), since it has lots of rules, equipment, vehicles, Edges, and so on for "military" sci-fi. It is less useful for Predator-style technology, although some of the necromantic stuff has a similar feel.

I also think Necropolis is less useful for a Firefly/Serenity game because it is focused pretty specifically on military sci-fi. My suggestion for running a game like that would be to use the base SW ruleset and purchase a copy of one or more of the sci-fi toolkits and/or the "Tales of the Forlorn Hope" through the Pinnacle Entertainment Group (https://www.studio2publishing.com/shop/index.php?manufacturers_id=20&sort=&filter_id=112) website. Those products haven't been converted for FG2, but they are designed expressly for the SW core system and would be easy to incorporate into an FG2 campaign.

Kingfish
April 26th, 2011, 04:12
Thanks guys...thats great news!

I may follow your advice CA...my first goal is to run a Serenity game via FG, so I will get that rolling and maybe later get this for a new story.

Thanks again all!
K

gmkieran
June 17th, 2011, 17:42
Be very interested to hear how your Serenity game went/is going, Kingfish! I'd like to run Serenity in FG, myself, but I've been holding out for an actual port of the Serenity ruleset. Since it seems that's not going to happen for legal reasons, I've been looking around for an alternative, but I've never played SW. Out of curiosity are you using SW to try and emulate the actual Serenity RPG mechanics or just the feel of the 'Verse?

Doswelk
June 17th, 2011, 19:42
A while back I ran Savage Firefly/Serenity:

The Theme I created (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=813&d=1246443283)

Actual in Game shot (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=870&d=1251237551)

The rules I used (mostly) came from here (https://www.savageheroes.com/conversions/fireflyRPG.pdf)

We had a lot of fun.

gmkieran
June 20th, 2011, 16:19
MANY thanks for the reference material, Doswelk! I'll have a look through and see what I can do about porting to FG. Nice work on the theme, too! Any chance you'd be willing to share?

Cheers!
GMK

Doswelk
June 20th, 2011, 19:33
Unfortunately I used copyrighted images to create it, but it was just my Modern theme with a space background, the Serenity logo and some Serenity bennies.

Kingfish
June 20th, 2011, 22:38
First off...that is sooooo wrong to 'tease' something like that!!! :bandit:

Anyway, yes the Serenity game is going well if a little confusing for the players...I wanted to keep the game as close as I could to the CortexRPG based SerenityRPG we started with(PnP). So I've been using SavageWorlds for FG and then when we play once a month face to face we still use Serenity.

One thing I have found, chase scenes(them running from the Reavers in space or escaping police in a crowed public market) just isn't the same online as it is at the table...FG is GREAT for 90% of the game and duplicates the experience about as well but these drama scenes where everyone is hanging on that last success to make the getaway...that's priceless table-ware!

I do wish an easy walk-through or diy How-to on making those Themes could be tossed out there...I have all the stuff I need/want on file. I just have no idea how to start on that stuff.

Doswelk
June 20th, 2011, 23:32
1) Create a folder in extensions for your theme.
2) create an icons folder and a frames folder inside the folder your created at step 1.
3) copy the frames from SW ruleset to extensions/yourextension/frames folder
4) load the frame you want to customise into GIMP/Photoshop/etc
5) Make the existing frame the bottom layer
6) Using the original frame as a template draw over the top of it, this way the window stays the same size.
7) Repeat
8) Create a file called extension.xml place it in the folder you created at step '1'
9) Add the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.0">
<properties>
<name></name>
<version>1</version>
<author></author>
<description></description>
<ruleset>
<name>SavageWorlds3</name>
</ruleset>
</properties>
<base>
</base>
</root>
10) Fill out the name & author fields
11) open graphics_frames.xml and copy the frames you have redesigned to the xml file you created and place them inside the <base></base> section
12) Test
13) Fix the mistakes
14) Done

Icons are "easier" place the icons you want to use in the icons folder and then open graphics.xml and copy the relevant <icon name...> entries as needed.

It is always easier to copy an existing extension when making your own (I always do! well except when I created the first one).

What I suggest you do is buy the Modern Theme for Savage Worlds and use that (shameless plug) :p

Kingfish
June 21st, 2011, 00:10
Oh man...I feel like Jethro, "Come on Mrs. Hathaway, speak English!" :)

I will dive into that when I have some time...I am sure everything I need is in there but, can't you make a video? :D <ducks and runs from the room screaming...>

"Thank you!"

gmkieran
June 22nd, 2011, 02:10
Thanks, Doswelk! The step-by-step is just as good! I'll get to work on my own and maybe work up some more while I'm at it.

Cheers!
GMK

gmkieran
June 23rd, 2011, 04:57
Kingfish, if/when you get around to doing this and you weren't already aware (as I wasn't) that the .ext files are really just .zip files with their extension changed, there's an important step 11.1 in Doswelk's process - once you're done editing, send the entire folder you've created (containing your frames, icons and extension.xml) to a compressed folder (zip) and then change the extension of the resulting file to .ext. This will allow FG to recognize the file and display it when you go to test. Also, if you want an extension for any system other than savageworlds, you have to change the <name></name> information in Doswelk's code to the appropriate system (leaving it blank allows the extension to work with the Foundation and possibly ANY ruleset).

Cheers!
GMK

gmkieran
July 3rd, 2011, 13:31
I've another question, Doswelk, if you don't mind? Where is the basic SavageWorlds ruleset if I want to mod areas of it the Modern skin didn't touch? That skin doesn't change the desktop icons, which I wanted to do. It was easy enough to bring in the ones I'd created in the other theme and make them work, but 4E_JPG has no "Vehicles" button. I went looking for the original to get the template and xml code and can't seem to find it - it's not in Rulesets, Extensions or Modules afict.

Cheers!
GMK

Doswelk
July 3rd, 2011, 15:20
Savage Worlds Ruleset (since 3.1) is now a pak file.

It will be installed in the Fantasy Grounds II installation folder.

With regard to the Modern skin (or any of them) please let me know if anything has been missed (I find that in game play I sometimes find an icon I forgot!)

gmkieran
July 5th, 2011, 03:48
I thought that might be it. Thanks, Doswelk! So far, the only thing I'd question would be retaining the sword and shield icons for the CT entries (where you click to reveal a creature's attacks). Didn't know if that was intentional, but given that you've changed both the melee and ranged attack icons pretty much throughout, I thought it might be an oversight. I will probably change them in the serenity theme I'm doing, in any case.

Cheers and thanks again for the assist on this!!!
GMK