PDA

View Full Version : Program Update Woes

damned
April 20th, 2011, 13:55
is it normal for it to take around 10-20mins to run an update? even when it doesnt actually find any updates to download?
my internet connection is not that fast - i get about 3mbps download and 800kbps upload but every thiong i do in fg is dog slow. it took me 90mins to join one 4e game a couple of weeks ago.
also fg runs at 40% cpu just sitting there at the main menu - unbelievable... is my install dodgy? is the route from the fg server to aus terrible or are these symptons common to other users?
im going to hopefully be hosting a few one shot adventures and i hope it doesnt perform like this when others are trying to join. we wont get the game started in under 2 hours...

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2011, 18:15
When I run update on an up-to-date FG installation, it takes about 80 seconds to complete the update check. I'm running on a cable modem installation (I think, 8Mb down, 1Mb up).

You might want to check your router settings to make sure that QoS is disabled. If you are using wireless, try a wired connection to see the difference.

Also, check out this thread. It's not directly related, but covers some router items that could be affecting your connection.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14288

Regards,
JPG