PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds v3.1 - releasing soon

phantomwhale
April 19th, 2011, 12:23
All,

After quite a few months of bug-fixes and enhancements (since July 2010) I am pleased to announce the imminent release of the latest version of the Savage Worlds ruleset (v3.1).

Until it's release day, please find attached the "Features and Bug Fixes" guide, a 15-page document (with pictures !) describing the features and bug fixes added into this release.

For those people who are too busy to look at PDFs, please read the following :
AMMO counts DOWN now and most other features shouldn't be too much of surprise, I hope :)

The main focus of this release is getting rid of the bugs and inconsistencies in the rule set. This means that many improvements bought up in the requests thread have been held over for a future release. However I hope a more polished rule set will lead to a better experience for players both new and old at this stage.

So, aside from the change in direction for ammo tracking, everything should install fine and without error. That said, any problems, please post them onto this thread, or in the forums; and do try and add details so that I can recreate the problem if required !

Two last things...

Firstly I'm going to post a version 3.2 wishlist after the files have been released, composing everything that I have on my tracker. That is going to be the best thread for further ideas / requests. If anyone has any ideas about how best to track wishlist items (with a vote up and down feature ?) then let me know.

Secondly, whilst I am continuing to work on this project mainly as a matter of wanting a top-rate virtual RPG tabletop for Savage Worlds, I am polishing it up to a release standard and hopefully taking in the interests of the community as well. This does lead to me getting a small cut on new sales, but on old sales I get nothing! So anyone wanting to show some love post-release, the paypal tip jar address is [email protected], otherwise some forum karma and/or a post/e-mail saying thanks would be pretty darn cool as well.

Finally this rule set will set an important baseline for a certain cowboy-horror themed campaign setting extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13943)... hopefully only a matter of days behind (we shall see !)

VenomousFiligree
April 19th, 2011, 12:57
Horror Comboys! :eek:

Not sure there's anything that could track feature requests from within the Forums so would have to be a third party site?

phantomwhale
April 19th, 2011, 13:49
Ha - edited the typo now.

Yeah, thought something third party would be required for wishlists (or one almighty forum poll ?!). Would need to be able to keep some sort of wishlist on the forum for discussion, but if people wanted to vote for items, then the forum format won't work, so maybe links to some external tool might help ?

Will get it onto the forum first, then look at tools later, I suspect.

VenomousFiligree
April 19th, 2011, 14:10
I can set something up at the RPG VT wiki if you want?

Moon Wizard
April 20th, 2011, 18:27
You could use something like this:
https://code.google.com/p/ntorrent/issues/list

I'm sure that Sourceforge has something as well.

Cheers,
JPG

phantomwhale
April 21st, 2011, 07:08
The new store link is there ! I see it !

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=DGASW3

Not sure if the update links are enabled yet for existing owners, I'm sure Doug will throw up the official announcements once they are.

Ikael
April 21st, 2011, 07:51
This is great news! Thank you phantomwhale for your effort on this! In quick tryout all those nasty (small, but irritating) bugs are solved in the core ruleset. No need to use patches anymore as the wounds are healed :). New pet projects of mine can start again, hehee

PS: And yes I managed to download updated ruleset from "order history" page

phantomwhale
April 21st, 2011, 08:01
Cool - glad ya like it. Forgot to say, extension developers (and indirectly users of extensions), this might cause a few breaks from v3.0.8 - inevitable, I think, with the existing way extensions work and the old version was coded.

Gimmie a shout if your having any issues - it's all pretty fresh in my head still, and I can probably help figure out what's broken and how to fix it.

Equally, will be focusing on v3.2 on making it easier to extend (I hope), so feel free to share code and ideas and I'll try and open up the API there a little. Or at least make me AWARE of your extension, and then I can try and keep it in mind when I breaking stuff again, and maybe even provide a patch before release day :D

VenomousFiligree
April 21st, 2011, 11:59
Good News and Great Work :)

mr_h
April 21st, 2011, 14:56
Great work, looking forward to getting my upgrade notice :D

ddavison
April 22nd, 2011, 03:17
It is available for download now via your order history either here or through RPGNow. I plan to send out the next newsletter probably on Sunday or Monday after hopefully getting a few more products released that have been on the back-burner.

Staggering the re-downloads of the new ruleset should help make the downloads go a little better for all involved, so it shouldn't present a problem if people get notified at slightly different times. ;)

Ictinike
April 22nd, 2011, 14:39
It is available for download now via your order history either here or through RPGNow. I plan to send out the next newsletter probably on Sunday or Monday after hopefully getting a few more products released that have been on the back-burner.

Staggering the re-downloads of the new ruleset should help make the downloads go a little better for all involved, so it shouldn't present a problem if people get notified at slightly different times. ;)

Re-Downloaded from my Order History and the file is still `SavageWorldsInstaller-3.0.8.msi` not the v3.1 that the header states.

Leonal
April 22nd, 2011, 16:06
The file should be called PEG10010FG2-v310-Setup.exe.

Ictinike
April 22nd, 2011, 17:14
The file should be called PEG10010FG2-v310-Setup.exe.
From the FG2 Store? I have the Savage Worlds rule set purchased and in the Order History it has `Download: Savage Worlds Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds` and downloading that file has the 3.0.8 installer as mentioned earlier.

The name in the store changed from `Savage Worlds Ruleset for Fantasy Grounds` to the new `Savage Worlds Ruleset v3.1 for Fantasy Grounds` which may have broke the linkage

Maybe it's me or I'm not understanding :D

Maybe it has to be re-purchased? I had thought this was an upgrade from those prior purchases so if not then I'll have to re-purchase? I admit I'm new here only a few months and have never gone through an update/release of a purchasable ruleset so I'm sure it's just my misunderstanding.

Thanks!
~Ictinike

mac40k
April 22nd, 2011, 18:23
I'm pretty sure I bought my copy before it got absorbed by SmiteWorks. Anyway, it doesn't appear in my order history so I can't download the new version.

CAPryde
April 22nd, 2011, 19:40
Huge thanks, PW. The new version is a thing of beauty.

I also want to thank you for the great PDF manual chronicling all the changes. I found it extremely informative and useful, and I know that typing it all up, plus putting together the illustration screenshots, took some real time. Thanks for your excellent work.

I look forward to playing with the Deadlands extension this summer. With 3.1, plus DL:RL, plus Necropolis all coming out at once, I'm feeling like the kid in the candy store. I can't wait to run/play some games this summer.

phantomwhale
April 23rd, 2011, 00:51
Hopefully Doug will sort out the links soon - I had absolutely no order history of Savage Worlds in my Store history as I bought Savage Worlds waaaaaaay back in version 2.x. The irony of producing something I had no access to download was not lost on me; like a writer completing a book then not getting his own copy :( (Doug did send me one though !)

All I can say for sure is all existing owners should be getting this update for free without a doubt (I only get paid for new purchases - so tell your friends !?! I told mine; they stared at me and said "what's fantasy grounds ?". Stupid friends who don't RPG online.)

ddavison
April 23rd, 2011, 02:03
I just noticed there were 105 of these past orders linked to the older product id. I've ported these to the new version of 3.1 and allowed fresh downloads. Please give it another try.

phantomwhale
April 23rd, 2011, 02:12
I still don't have ANY entry in my order history for Savage Worlds (don't think I ever have - never complained as I had the v3.0.8 installer and later on knew where the updates were coming from !)

ddavison
April 23rd, 2011, 02:32
For anyone who purchased this through Digital Adventures' site, if you send me the order receipt for it, I can send you a complimentary copy of the update through RPGNow. If you ordered it through RPGNow or DriveThruRPG, you can re-download it from there from your account as well.

Since Phantomwhale did this work for any *future* commissions and to lead up to his Deadlands extension, please be sure to give him a reputation bump and keep an eye out for future products converted by him.

Ictinike
April 23rd, 2011, 02:37
Aye, now the linkage states v3.1 and I got the new file.

Thanks Phantom and Doug.. Great stuff all around!

dittotb
April 23rd, 2011, 03:28
Thank you for your hard work. Excellent job.

Frz
April 25th, 2011, 21:02
Just downloaded - great job you did, thanks and keep it up!

dipnotz
April 25th, 2011, 21:11
Finally made the jump to FG2 based on the SW ruleset (although I'm waiting on pins and needles for DL:R). Great work--keep it up!

CAPryde
April 26th, 2011, 23:39
Argh! I've been obsessively watching the website for the DL:R release. Someone put me out of my misery!

phantomwhale
April 27th, 2011, 00:12
Argh! I've been obsessively watching the website for the DL:R release. Someone put me out of my misery!

Maybe the author is upset that his game of Hellfrost got cancelled this month ;)

Have been making sure the documentation is awesome, and wanted one more playtest with my group to be totally happy with it (which was last weekend). There is also a practical desire to get people upgrading to v3.1 for a week or two beforehand; Deadlands will NEED version 3.1 installed (so upgrades are mandatory !)

Anyway, I'm going to try and get the release to Doug this weekend. Promise !

-PW-

ddavison
April 27th, 2011, 07:04
Anyone downloading from RPGNow or DrivethruRPG, it now properly reflects the new version number for your download link. I believe the download link was all that was wrong since I forgot to update it. Regardless, once downloaded it should show up as PEG10010FG2v310Setup.exe.

Blue Haven
April 27th, 2011, 08:09
Dunno whats wrong but it shows up as the old version to me :( but it says that it was updated today :( but continues to download the old version...

Doswelk
April 27th, 2011, 10:26
Anyway, I'm going to try and get the release to Doug this weekend. Promise !

Please do after all the work you did on 3.1 I want to buy something to "give" you some money! :D

dipnotz
April 27th, 2011, 16:25
Anyway, I'm going to try and get the release to Doug this weekend. Promise

Woot! Getting the ol' credit card warmed up for that purchase.

Blue Haven
April 27th, 2011, 17:05
Now i got the new one ;)
Thanks