PDA

View Full Version : players not able to see portraits

jasonisop
April 17th, 2011, 20:31
I am hosting a game had have lots of issues. first off im using the d20_JPG rule set but the same issues happen in 3.5 . First issue players are not able to get the ruleset from my game, i end up giving them a d20_JPG.pak . Second once players are in they can not see their own or others portraits, i as the dm can. The players are not getting the maps ever time we play some times it works most times it doesnt (the map is a 130kb jpg). Players can not see any tokens i put on maps beside the letters, i have removed most tokens an only using a small amount in the host none in shared. I have a good connection 15-30meg down and 1meg up tested while playing. I have switched routers in attemps to fix the issue but to no avail.
I have also tried using the 2.7.5 version of fg and the 2.7.2 has issues with all 3. I have tried full re-installs, also no change.

I use to use fg 2 years ago or so and never had any of this issues.

system stats
win7 64bit
core 2 duo at 2.2GHz
3gigs rams
nvidia 8600M gt
current router is a linksys wrt54gs(was old router) also have d-link dir-601

my isp is time warner

jasonisop
April 18th, 2011, 01:25
Ok fixed the issue. Full FG2 Re-install clearing out the registry, switching routers, keeping zonealarm running but adding FG to it, giving the players a copy of my localhosts cache file to use(just deleting the one they had did not work), making a library mod out of the tokens, and stopping all my start up programs mostly adobe updaters. And with all of that it is fixed. Seam like way to much to get this program to work, as i said before never had issues with older versions, i had even more tokens and larger maps and every on could get them nearly instantly, and download the ruleset from the game in no time at all.

If networking code was changed from the older versions (over 2 years ago) change it back. I never had issues with players downloading my tokens or maps back then on a crappy connection. networking seems to have gotten worse over time.

damned
April 18th, 2011, 08:34
with 19000 licenses out there it suggests that it is a local issue or local install issue rather than an issue with the software... even though your list of things is quite long it is most likely that only one of them was the actual fix.
its good you persisted with it.... you must like the software?

jasonisop
April 18th, 2011, 16:15
The only fix that might have been uneeded was the router switch. Evey thing i changed helped in a minor way, I tested after each change and each change fixed a single issue. The problem is still not fully solved, just in a workable condition.

yup it is great software when it is working. I really am thinking is time warner messing with my out going packets I have wireshark but do not know how to read what its giving me, and im assuming some one on the other end would need it too for comparing the packets i send with the packets they are getting. Any one willing to help with that?