PDA

View Full Version : CnC Ruleset update v2.075

Sorcerer
April 14th, 2011, 16:37
Find attached ruleset extension-patch v2.075

this is a minor update to v2.07 and is a cumulative patch containing all updates from v2.0 onwards.

the only changes in this version are:

1. the reinstatement of the /w whisper command which was inadvertently deactivated in version v2.06.
my apologies for this, and my thanks to Crowley72 for pointing it out to me.

2. Calculations of level, XP needed and BTH will now only happen after the focus moves away from the XP field.
by either pressing enter after typing in the XP value, tabbing away or by clicking on another field.
This was implemented to avoid the possibility of getting an error with extremely large numbers when the numbers were inputed at speed.

anyway let me know if there are any further issues and i shall try to resolve them.

EDIT: ATTACHMENT Removed - Patch Superseded by v2.076, see separate thread.

Crowley72
April 14th, 2011, 21:42
Thank you Sorcerer!

The new level/XP/BtH calculations are a great addition!

C

dr_venture
April 16th, 2011, 01:34
Hey Sorce, got another bug for you: if you change the injury text to new values (a feature I'm already using - thanks!), then you drop damage dice onto a combatant on a battlemat: if a change of health is indicated in teh chat window, it does not match the new value that you have assigned via the "/inj" chat command.

dr_venture
April 16th, 2011, 02:00
Ooop - one more: if you close then open the combat tracker, any combatants that had been set to invisible will now be set to visible... i.e., all combatants are set to visible, regardless of the state they were in when teh window was closed.

Can you tell I'm playing through some combats tonight?

dr_venture
April 16th, 2011, 02:47
Also, since I'm whining at you, can I put in a couple change requests:

1) I'd love an "are you sure?" warning before deleting a combatant from the combat tracker, kinda like the 2nd message you get from deleting a token (i.e., delete this token vs delete all tokens). There have been several times where, in a hurry to delete an effect on a combatant, I've accidentally selected the "Delete Item" option rather than "Remove Effect". Optionally, maybe "Delete Item" could be renamed "Delete Combatant"... unless there are folks who put something other than combatants into the combat tracker (in which case I'd be very curious to know what they're up to).

2) I'd love it if the tokens on the battlemat updated as soon as you changed the token for a combatant. For instance, it'd be cool to be able to just drag a token of a prone body onto an entry in the combat tracker when that person has been knocked out of killed, then have the appropriate token swapped on the battlemat. I can be done manually right now, but, well, I'm whining ;)

Just some suggestions. Feel free to embrace/ignore at will, of course!

Sorcerer
April 16th, 2011, 13:29
well I could take this in one of two ways...

I could take this very personally and think, "god I'm a really bad ruleset developer, so many bugs in so short a time"

or I could think "wow there seems to be a lot more people using this ruleset a lot more often".

or possibly there is a third way...where I think its a bit of both!

anyway with regard to the first post

"injury class reporting"

yes its a bug - found it and squished it.
[as a side note - only injury classes 3 to 6 report in the chat window, 1, 2 and 7 are for client tracker display only]

with regard to ct visibility

looking at it a bit closer it seems that if you individually select the NPC vis buttons then this information is saved when the
CT is closed.
However (and I suppose this is what you are doing), if you use the global vis button to make all visible and then deselect some NPCS to make them invisible again
this information is not saved, because the global button is still active and on restart it checks the global button and sets all to visible.

obviously what (I assume) you are doing is perfectly reasonable. if you have 20 goblins and 1 invisible goblin shaman you do not want to have to set 20 visible manually - it is easier to set all visible and then deselect the one that is not.

I have reworked the globalvis button (simplified it actually). so that it now resets to unselected when any NPC is invisible.
it also sets to selected if you were to then select all the creatures individually. This way it is (should be) always in tune with what is going on and so should not override what you have done.

In fact this is how I wanted it to work all along, but 6 months ago I could not work out how to do it.

IMPORTANT Note: the status of the Globalvis button is now saved in the database not in the campaign registry.
this means that first time out if all NPCS are visible, and therefore the global eye should be red (selected) it will not be.
simply select it to get it in sync and saved to the new location. this will not effect the actual status of your NPCs.
If not all of the NPCs were visible before you applied the patch - then this comment should not effect you.

following your suggestion I have renamed both Create Item and Delete Item as Create/Delete Combatant (putting in the warning message is a bit more complex and I will have to think about it).

incidentally, a limitation of the ruleset is that if you select all visible and then select individuals to make invisible. If the player has his CT open they will see this creature appear and then disappear on there CT...
I was considering a method to only share the CT when you are ready to, but since I have stopped development work I have not done anything about that yet (not sure how complex it might end up being)

anyway I have posted these fixes as v2.076 in its own thread.

dr_venture
April 16th, 2011, 17:07
well I could take this in one of two ways...

I could take this very personally and think, "god I'm a really bad ruleset developer, so many bugs in so short a time"
I don't know what your background is, but I was is software QA from '88 through about '06, and as far as I'm concerned you're doing a great job. The more functionality that something has, the more bugs will be found - it's pretty consistent. And, the more eyes on a product, the more bugs will tend to be found, of course. To me a good developer is more a measure of their eye towards elegant solutions to user's problems, and you seem to have quite a knack for that.

"wow there seems to be a lot more people using this ruleset a lot more often".
That's definitely the case with me - I've been distracted with running Old West stuff for my son, and only yesterday started playing through some mock battles in C&C to see if I was setting up fair fights as a GM (and I wasn't!). Thus the spate of bugs from me.

yes its a bug - found it and squished it.
Many thanks!

obviously what (I assume) you are doing is perfectly reasonable. if you have 20 goblins and 1 invisible goblin shaman you do not want to have to set 20 visible manually - it is easier to set all visible and then deselect the one that is not.
Yeah, I think that's what I did exactly. Your solution seems like an excellent one.

In fact this is how I wanted it to work all along, but 6 months ago I could not work out how to do it.
Heh - I sooo know what you're talking about there!

following your suggestion I have renamed both Create Item and Delete Item as Create/Delete Combatant (putting in the warning message is a bit more complex and I will have to think about it).
I think that will help a lot - thanks!

I have stopped development work I have not done anything about that yet (not sure how complex it might end up being) (SNIP) I have posted these fixes as v2.076 in its own thread.
My friend, I would suggest that, unless you like doing these little incremental updates, you keep us waiting a little longer between releases. I mean, you're incredibly responsive to bug reports/fixes, for which we're all really grateful, but it must be kind-of a pain to release so many small versions. I would suggest that if it makes things easier for you, feel free to just wait a couple weeks (or maybe more) after releasing something to hear back about bug reports... then wrap them all up into fewer updates. Of course if you like the way it is, that's fine too. I'm still very grateful that you're out there doing all this.

Have a good weekend, bud!

damned
April 17th, 2011, 11:33
hey guys, im pretty new to fg and the c&c too. what is teh correct way to update a ruleset? updating fg i just hit the update button but what about add-on rule-sets?
btw - i think you are doing a great job too...

Sorcerer
April 17th, 2011, 11:56
I would not like to generalize about ruleset updates, because it can be done in many ways depending on if the ruleset is official or not, and if the update is coming directly from smiteworks or from a third party such as myself.

With regard specifically to these updates I have posted here (and the one at the top of this thread is already outdated:) - you want v2.076 version 2)

These are extension updates. That means that all you have to do is download the file and then drop it into your extensions folder (located in the application data folder - there should be a shortcut to the application data folder in the windows start menu FG2 folder).

then when you start up FG and click load campaign and select your C&C campaign, you should see the extension listed in the extensions box below the campaign selection box. Click the little dot/check box to select it and then click start as normal to load your campaign. That's it.

When the campaign loads look in the chat window to see which version you are running, this will tell you if all has gone to plan.

the beauty of extensions is they only override the original files in the ruleset folder, they do not over-write them. Meaning if you don't like the updates, you can always deselect them before loading your campaign to revert to the original version.

Note: the extension-patches I have provided thus far are cumulative - meaning you only need the latest one.

damned
April 17th, 2011, 13:26
thanks sorcerer

Galeric
April 17th, 2011, 18:57
Sorcerer you do awesome work!

dr_venture
April 18th, 2011, 06:15
Already was saved from accidentally deleting a combatant via your updated radial menu labels - thanks bud!