PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate user running a game....

Doswelk
April 13th, 2011, 21:55
After a long gap I am running two Savage Thursday Games!

The first is tomorrow 14th April and then the next will be 21st April, again these will be Modern Horror games.

My Campaign calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=517)

Pre-gens can be found at the FuriousDice Community website (https://www.furiousdice.com/community/forum.php?id=7)

Hopefully someone will play...

(now I have to find/write an adventure in less than 24 hours :eek:)

phantomwhale
April 14th, 2011, 03:22
Darn - very tempted, but your time (8PM ?) is a 5AM start for me !

Give me a poke via e-mail by.. lets see... 1PM your time if your short of players, and I can try hauling my *** out of bed early for a session. Might be a 5AM connecting, for a 5:??AM start though !

Disclosure, I do normally haul *** out of bed at 5:30AM to GM my UK group, but I've never jumped out early to be a player :)

-PW-

Doswelk
April 14th, 2011, 07:36
So far I have two people (as of 30 mins after posting last night), so I can run a 3 person game if need be!

Doswelk
April 14th, 2011, 10:29
Game will happen I have three confirmations (excluding you) :D

I've ran a game with 10 people once so anyone else is welcome to play!

(That said 10 people in a game was a bit slow!)

Seraphim
April 14th, 2011, 12:55
I sent you a message Dos. I can play, and probably bring up to 4-5 people if you need them. : )

Doswelk
April 14th, 2011, 13:40
Right looks like a full house tonight!

(runs off to re-write adventure for more umph!)

phantomwhale
April 14th, 2011, 13:59
Will see when the alarm goes off - might log in late and spectate a little if that's OK ?

phantomwhale
April 15th, 2011, 01:25
Getting up at 5AM to play a game, waiting 40 minutes to download the cache (didn't realise there was a pre-cached ZIP available - will know next time !) kinda sucks.

Finding out your the only player - really sucks ! Guys ?! I'm sure Kevin's a little miffed. I'm "I got up at 5AM to play this sucker" miffed...

On the other hand, I did write code, have breakfast and run 6KM (new record) before 9AM, so feeling a little smug about that. But still a little miffed :(

I like the word miffed.

Seraphim
April 15th, 2011, 02:13
Hmmm. I'm not sure what happened. Was having microphone issues.

I read a message that the game was canceled though once i sorted it out.

Doswelk
April 15th, 2011, 08:19
Hmmm. I'm not sure what happened. Was having microphone issues.

I read a message that the game was canceled though once i sorted it out.

It's just that after over an hour of waiting (19:30 - 20:40) around for anyone but you to turn up I gave up..

That said next Thursday I shall try again...

damned
April 15th, 2011, 13:49
...there was a pre-cached ZIP available...

how does that work? i know both games ive played it took ages (one game took 90mins) for me to download and campaign.dat was only 4mb....

phantomwhale
April 15th, 2011, 14:17
how does that work? i know both games ive played it took ages (one game took 90mins) for me to download and campaign.dat was only 4mb....

If you log in as a player yourself, you will end up with some data in your "cache" folder. Rather then asking others to log in and do that same (which takes me around 40-45 mins for a new campaign) you can share the copy of that cache folder with them, so they have most / all of it in place already.

Doswelk has a page of setup instructions on his "furious dice" website, which he uses for people playing his Savage Thursday / someday games, and part of those instructions is a link to the cache data in a zip file.

For a regular game, not a problem (once it's cached, it stays cached), but for one-shots it's a very good idea. Shame FGII seems to share data so slowly on first load.

Moon Wizard
April 15th, 2011, 18:12
I just did a full review of the networking code over the last few months to shake out some disconnect issues and to implement a reconnect feature for the upcoming release.

From looking at the code, I'm not sure why the downloads take so long. From a simplistic point of view, the files are sent by the host as they are received.

I have one idea to try regarding on the player side, since I may have found a bottleneck there.

Regards,
JPG

sid485
April 18th, 2011, 07:01
Hmmm... it just happens to work out that I can make it for this coming Thursday at 8PM. I have no prior experience with Fantasy Grounds, however, and don't have a license of any variety. I read that an Ultimate license means you can play with registered AND unregistered players; does "unregistered player" mean unlicensed, or will I be unable to play?

EDIT: Woof, just realised it was 8PM UK time, making it noon Pacific. Guess I won't be able to make it after all...

Doswelk
April 18th, 2011, 09:23
Hmmm... it just happens to work out that I can make it for this coming Thursday at 8PM. I have no prior experience with Fantasy Grounds, however, and don't have a license of any variety. I read that an Ultimate license means you can play with registered AND unregistered players; does "unregistered player" mean unlicensed, or will I be unable to play?

Yes you would just have to download from here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) and when installing select unlicensed mode.

Ictinike
April 18th, 2011, 13:56
I just did a full review of the networking code over the last few months to shake out some disconnect issues and to implement a reconnect feature for the upcoming release.

From looking at the code, I'm not sure why the downloads take so long. From a simplistic point of view, the files are sent by the host as they are received.

I have one idea to try regarding on the player side, since I may have found a bottleneck there.

Regards,
JPG

Moon..

I know sniffing my own network to help speed up FG2 I noticed they are all strictly calls using an internal web server. This could be the issue and I know on my specific LAN, utilizing QoS rules, general web traffic is at a lower priority than others ~even~ if I specify port 1802-03 as higher priority.

Also the MIME types being used, from what I could see, had no real type as they were setup as x-unknown I believe. I'm sure you know this or have investigated but again trying to determine this on my own it seems using the internal web server, servicing out downloads, was the slowdown.

I'll try to do some more packet sniffing and see if I can somehow alter the packet priority on my own LAN to maybe expose a way it could be used better but without everything at my fingertips it's more on your end :)

phantomwhale
April 19th, 2011, 11:43
Re: Savage Thursdays.

Not going to make it this week - 5am is a killer for me, and I'm both house renovating and coding for money now, so I gotta get m'sleep !

-PW-

Doswelk
April 19th, 2011, 16:06
Re: Savage Thursdays.

Not going to make it this week - 5am is a killer for me, and I'm both house renovating and coding for money now, so I gotta get m'sleep !

-PW-

No to worry, may be running a Saturday one soon.

Doswelk
April 21st, 2011, 13:48
Just a reminder that tonight is another attempt at running a game, aiming to start at 19:45 UK time (GMT+1 right now)

Hope to see you if not maybe next time.

ImaTarget
April 25th, 2011, 17:50
Heya, I am new around here and to Savage Worlds and will gladly join any game going on! Any future dates planned yet? Only caveat is that I cannot use voicechat to not wake up my wife. Hope that is okay?