PDA

View Full Version : CnC Ruleset update v2.07

Sorcerer
April 10th, 2011, 12:29
Hot on the heels of extension-patch v2.06, please find attached v2.07

this is in response to the bug reported by Crowley72

where monsters dragged from library manuals directly to the combat tracker or from library manuals to the CT via the encounters box would not be included in 'Roll ALL NPC initiative' rolls.
This bug was present in all versions since release of v2.0

additionally v2.07 addresses an oversight on my part (thanks Dr_Venture) whereby changes made in v2.06 could result in negative prepared spells.

as well as the bug fixes I have included a couple of extra automations. constructive feedback would be much appreciated
so I can judge if such automations are useful or not.

1. Character Attribute bonuses currently stop at +4 at 20,this has been extended to +10 at 30. This is in line with the values to
be found in the newly released castle keepers guide.
I doubt there are too many characters with stats that high, but could be useful in conjunction with potions of giant strength or the like.

2. Automated BTH calculation: If the player inputs one of the 13 standard character classes; level, XP needed to next level and BTH fields become read only. XP required and level are then calculated based on current XP and class. BTH is then calculated from class and level.

if the class is not recognized all fields remain user modifiable and thus custom classes can still be used with manual input as before.
an 'easy out' for those who want to use the standard classes without automation is to add an underscore after the class name (eg Fighter_) the underscore should merge with the line already under the field name making it invisible. This will cause the class not to be recognized forcing manual input mode.
(it was actually envisaged to do this with a space, but although this works, it seems that when FG closes and restarts it ignores trailing white space and removes them from the database - making this method invalid over more than one gaming session).

if necessary (so if only a few people use this automation) I can put in a proper option in the options menu to switch it on or off.

There are some anomalies between the players handbook and the CKG, I have tried to smooth these out, with common sense and errata reports on the TLG website. Where there was doubt I have stuck with the players handbook version of events.

Most notably the Paladin class XP progression finishes at level 12 in the PHB with 1,300,001 XP and 300,000 per level thereafter.
In the CKG it starts again at level 13 with 1,250,0001 +300,000 per level.
In this case my calculations continue the PHB progression ignoring the CKG.

Assassin BTH progression should move to +1 every 4 levels after level 10. in the CKG it stays at +4 for 5 levels between levels 11-15 before moving back to the +1 every 4 levels expected. I have ignored the CKG table and continued the expected progress (which is identical to that of the Rogue class).

The progressions of XP and BTH are calculations so level progression is infinite. BTH progression slows down and Maxes out at +20 in line with the CKG

as before this is a cumulative patch - containing everything in versions v2.01 to v2.06, meaning its the only one you need to run.

if you have any issues or notice new bugs let me know.

EDIT: ATTACHMENT Removed - Patch Superseded by v2.075, see separate thread.

dr_venture
April 10th, 2011, 21:04
I'm afraid that you must come back from your beer garden trip to a bug report :(

With my existing characters, modifying their experience causes their displayed "Needed for next level" value become their real experience need value minus their current experience. For example, a Fighter exhibits the following behavior:

XP=0 -- Needed=2001 (correct)
XP=1 -- Needed=2000
XP=10 -- Needed=1991
XP=100 -- Needed=1901

At 2nd level experience, the following is observed:
XP=2001 -- Needed=2000

I should note that the displayed level & BtH look correct, so I think it's just a bug in the displayed value of the 'needed' XP.

As for the automations themselves, I quite like them! I probably won't use much in the way of custom classes, so this is just one more way that FG can accurately handle mindless bookkeeping - and if I do enter a non-standard class, it'll be apparent that that data needs to manually be kept up to date. Bravo.

The additional attribute bonus range is much appreciated, especially since the field is not editable. Could definitely come in handy.

Sorcerer
April 10th, 2011, 21:17
actually this is exactly how I intended it to work - but possibly not how you expected it to work.

I did not want the value to be static and just say what the XP of the next level was but rather I wanted it to be dynamic and tell you how many more XP points you need to achieve that level.

I will await further feedback to see if everyone prefers the static value or my dynamic implementation before deciding if I should change it or not.

dr_venture
April 10th, 2011, 21:30
Well that makes sense, in that I was trying to figure out how you could have missed something like that.

Huh - I suppose that makes a lot of sense, actually, now that you point it out. I just assumed it was a bug. I'm inclined to say leave it as you designed it - that *is* handy. Once again, you defy my expectations :D

Sorcerer
April 10th, 2011, 21:41
thanks for the vote of confidence!

it would have been much easier to just have gone with the static value so I hope that everyone likes my implementation.

If feedback is negative I am open to a reversion.

I know that when I used pen and paper we always left the same value until we reached the level, but I thought now that we have a computer working for us that I would let it do a little extra work...

dr_venture
April 10th, 2011, 21:47
BTW, just an idea for you to toss on the update ideas stack (if it's not there already - you seem to always be several steps ahead of me on this stuff): I was being shown the GURPS ruleset last night, and it had the cool ability for the GM to apply modifiers directly to a player's mod box. It'd be kinda cool to be able to drop items from the Modifiers window onto either a character's portrait, or maybe the character in the combat tracker. Feel free to ignore/note/integrate/whatever.

Sorcerer
April 10th, 2011, 21:59
I have not actually looked at the GURPS ruleset.

I try to look at everything to get Ideas of what is possible, but this one seems to have passed me by.

I will take a look. Particularly because I was (some time ago) looking for a way to directly drop XP onto individual (or groups of) characters.

vodokar
April 11th, 2011, 01:46
This is actually something I had presumed the software already did. So, thank you for making it work like I had presumed it would, without my noticing it didn't or having to ask. :)

vodokar
April 11th, 2011, 02:49
Tested out the leveling calculations automation.

XP field doesn't accept numbers larger than 999,999. Adding the 7th digit value takes the XP back to a 1 digit number and adjusts the level back to 1.

Other than that, seems to be working well.

Sorcerer
April 11th, 2011, 07:48
vodokar,

the XP field is a standard FG numberfield so it should accept any number of digits. However, FG numberfields differ from stringfields in that they do not give a curser to indicate you are still working on the field. This means that if you pause too long between digits it will assume you have stopped typing and reset the value when you restart. Normally you don't type so many digits into a field so it can be tricky if you are not prepared for it. It is a quirk of FG that I don't think I can get around.

That said, I will check it out when I get home to make sure it is still working as intended. It could be that I have changed something I shouldn't have during bug testing.

dr_venture
April 11th, 2011, 16:10
I just checked, and I can go above 999,999.

vodokar
April 11th, 2011, 17:51
I'll recheck on this as soon as I can.

At any rate, even if it were a bug, it's likely not an emergency unless there are a bunch of people out there that have high level characters already. It certainly isn't going to effect me for a long time.

Sorcerer
April 11th, 2011, 18:10
I can confirm that I can definitely input values of 1 million or more.

If you still have problems it might be class specific so let me know which one you were using.

I did uncover one problem though - it is possible to overload the system if you put in too high an XP number (this was over level 4000 for a fighter).
I guess it could not crunch so high a number. I will have to put in some sort of limiter.
Not that you will get to this level on purpose, but might happen by accident if your finger rests too long on the keyboard..

Crowley72
April 11th, 2011, 23:43
Thank you for the update, this will help me a lot while running big combats (20 + goblins, erg...).

I have a question and some "Wish List" items from my players as well...

1. Have you had a chance to look at the new Castle Keepers Guide (CKG)? EDIT: Of course you have, you mention it in your original post. My bad!

1a. In the first part of the CKG, there is an alternate magic system that uses Mana as well as spell components. Is it possible, in a future release (v3.0?) of the rules set, to see this kind of thing implemented?

2. I have been using the Critical and Fumble charts from The Crusader issue 7 (from Troll Lord Games, for C&C) - is it possible to have rules automate that based on a player/monster/npc base d20 hit roll?

I know it's a bit to digest, but I thought I'd throw it your way and see what you thought.

Happy gaming, and again - thanks a bunch for the bug fix!!

C

vodokar
April 12th, 2011, 00:04
2. I have been using the Critical and Fumble charts from The Crusader issue 7 (from Troll Lord Games, for C&C) - is it possible to have rules automate that based on a player/monster/npc base d20 hit roll?

C

Sorcerer, take a look at what Dr.Zeuss was able to do with regards to his "Tables" extension and "Critical Hits and Fumbles" extension for 4e. The type of functionality that Crowley is talking about does exist for Fantasy Grounds.

Perhaps you might possibly be able to get together with Dr.Zeuss and work out how to assist him with porting the functionality of his extensions over to C&C?

Crowley72
April 13th, 2011, 01:56
My game starts in 15 min, and in talking with a few of my players before it starts, I am finding that my "/w" shortcut is not working. I have to type out /whisper.

I have just now confirmed with my players that their ability to use /w has not changed.

So - As the Host/GM - My "/w" shortcut is not working now. It worked in 2.06.

C

Sorcerer
April 13th, 2011, 08:07
Hmmmh that seems quite strange.

I have not (as far as I recall) edited the chatmanager file in the past few releases.

i will have to investigate tonight.

Crowley72
April 13th, 2011, 09:30
Thank you, Sorcerer. It is a bit odd. I was able to reload before my game started (which fixed a different glitch I was having), but my ability as host to use the /w shortcut was still unavailable to me.

Again, I still was able to use the long form of /whisper.

The other glitch I was experiencing had to do with the ability to re-scale tokens on a map by scrolling the mouse wheel over the token in the CT window. On exiting FG2 completely, and reloading that function returned.

I'll advise if I run into anything else.

C

Sorcerer
April 13th, 2011, 16:37
OK I can confirm that this is a bug, and that the last version where this feature
was still enabled was v2.05.

currently I am not sure what happened, but I'm working on it.

I just wanted to tell you that (host only) the easiest way to pass a whisper is actually just to type the message and drag and drop onto the characters portrait. Thus no need for a slash command or to specify the recipient.

Sorcerer
April 13th, 2011, 17:11
OK I have tracked down the error.

It seems that I included a file in the patch, but I forgot to tell FG to use this file, rather than the original one included in the ruleset...

not sure why it wasn't intelligent enough to know what to do on its own...but there you go - that's computers for you.

This should therefore be quite a quick fix (I hope)

One question though, whilst I do some more tests (to ensure I don't break anything else)

The standard whisper through the slash command is reported as [w].
The whisper from drag and drop on the portrait is reported as <whisper>.

do you guys prefer the shortened version or the full version? as it would be simple to change the text whilst I am messing about with this anyway.

Crowley72
April 13th, 2011, 20:41
I prefer the shortened "W". If I am able to type commands, I do so over the drag and drop method. I can type really fast.

Your work on the C&C rules set has been epic! Thank you Sorcerer!

C

Sorcerer
April 13th, 2011, 21:09
That being the case, I will leave [W] as is.

I will probably post the fix tomorrow.

It seems there have been a number of bugs uncovered in the last week or so, which is probably normal when you introduce new features, but I would like to make a few more tests to try to minimize the risk of introducing any more unintentional effects...

with regard to your other questions, all things are possible, but it all comes down to time and priorities.

I have read the Mana system and its certainly doable, and as vodokar says there have already been some critical hit systems implemented for FG.

I would say however, that before I implement optional things, there are still a lot of more mainstream things I would like to tackle first.

The problem at the moment is my (paying) job is currently quite demanding and so the time I can spend on the ruleset is somewhat limited.
I will have to see how that goes in the future...