PDA

View Full Version : Proxy server hell

Snikle
April 10th, 2011, 11:35
Hey everyone, long time user, very long time since visiting. *;-)

I am currently stationed in Iraq on a military base using a vile network called Sniperhill, it is the only one allowed on the base. This is not a military network but a contractor supplied network the military oversees. They apparently are using some sort of proxy server that we connect to for our internet. I have no trouble using VOIP, IMs, browsing, iTunes, etc but when it comes to any sort of gaming application such as Fantasy Grounds I hit a brick wall. I have tried other VTs such as MapTool and EpicTable and I run into the same issue.

I currently run a local Firewall via Symantec Endpoint Protection and I have set up the port forwarding in the system (I am not a FG newb after all) and have attempted connecting with the firewall completely off. So I think the real problem is the Proxy folks. I have spoken to them and they seem to be 'tards about it. I have continued to pester them but so far they have not helped at all. Soooo, I thought I would hit up my old friends at Fantasy Grounds and see if they might know of a work around.

Thanks in advance!

damned
April 10th, 2011, 11:47
proxy server is adding to your post count too!
you may need to do a vpn to another network that will allow you to do pat/nat to your pc.

Moon Wizard
April 10th, 2011, 17:40
Are you trying to run as a client or a host?

As a client, it should just work unless a firewall is blocking the port completely. As a host, you would have to convince them to port forward from whatever router system they are using that connects to the Internet.

Regards,
JPG

Snikle
April 10th, 2011, 18:09
At this point, all I have tried to do is update FG, been probably 10 months since I used it and I assumed there would be an update. When I do, I get an error (the window comes up says it is "getting the package listing" it waits a while, then just says "error"
I have tried connecting to a game using MapTool, at one point I used both programs and the settings were the same for both, so if one worked, the other did as well. Right now, neither will work, and I have pretty much narrowed it down to the proxy issue.
I know the EpicTable developer as well and had issues connecting to his, he checked his log file and I never even reach his server, just keeps sounding like a proxy issue.

Btw, never mentioned this but:
Windows vista, 4th ram, latest updates and all that, local firewall set up with port forwarding....

Moon Wizard
April 10th, 2011, 20:23
I haven't really had a chance to dig into the updater code, but it does use HTTP to get the files from the server.

The "Error!" message you are seeing in the updater is when there is a network connection error while attempting to get the update information from the FG server. It's the first HTTP request made by the updater.

Regards,
JPG