PDA

View Full Version : Proxy Bypass

Snikle
April 10th, 2011, 11:30
Hey everyone, long time user, long time since visiting. ;-)
I am currently stationed in Iraq on a military base using a vile network called Sniperhill, it is the only one allowed on the base. This is not a military network but a contractor supplied network the military oversees. They apparently are using some sort of proxy server that we connect to for our internet. I have no trouble using VOIP, IMs, browsing, iTunes, etc but when it comes to any sort of gaming application such as Fantasy Grounds I hit a brick wall. I have tried other VTs such as MapTool and EpicTable and I run into the same issue.

I currently run a local Firewall via Symantec Endpoint Protection and I have set up the port forwarding in the system (I am not a FG newb after all), so I think the real problem is the Proxy folks. I have spoken to them and they seem to be 'tards about it. I have continued to pester them but so far they have not helped at all. Soooo, I thought I would hit up my old friends at Fantasy Grounds and see if they might know of a work around.

Thanks!

ddavison
April 11th, 2011, 02:47
Hey Snikle,

If other applications are working, you might try to find out what ports they use and then move FG over to that same port. Then just make sure not to run those apps simultaneously with FG. To change to an alternate port, make a shortcut or launch from the command line with the following switch:

-P <portnumber>

Hope it helps.

-Doug

Griogre
April 11th, 2011, 04:11
Hey Snik, keep safe. If you can't find an port that works for you, a VPN will likely work given the other apps which you can use. Hamachi is used by a lot of people who use FG and is free for personal use. https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi2/licensing.aspx