PDA

View Full Version : 4E Fumbles & Critical Hits v1.0

Zeus
April 6th, 2011, 12:50
[UPDATE] - v1.1 has been uploaded to my site. See post #23 (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=106454&postcount=23) for more information.

All, following a request I have uploaded an extension for 4E which introduces Fumble and Critical Hit random effect table rolls as a House Rule modification to the standard 4E rules. The extension leverages my 4E Tables extension and allows for manual as well as automated rolls.

Features

Introduces new Tables: Fumble, Fumble Effect, Critical Hit and Critcal Hit Effect.
Allows for automatic fumble and critical hit table rolls (on an attack roll of 1 (natural) or 20 (natural))
Tables (exluding name and column headers) can be customised in any way e.g dice type, probability of effect and effects.

Screenshots
https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5581694311_1ff66d1b0f.jpg (https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5581694311_ace3c5b8a6_o.jpg)

Top 2 demo the output from Critical Hits and Fumbles that do not result in an Effects roll (4 in 6 chance). Bottom 2 demo the output from Critical Hits and Fumbles that do result in an Effects roll (2 in 6 chance).

The extension uses 4 user defined tables, named as follows:

- Fumble - (contains 1 column called 'Outcome')
- Fumble Effect - (contains 2 columns called 'Effect' and 'Description')
- Critical Hit - (contains 1 column called 'Outcome')
- Critical Hit Effect - (contains 2 columns called 'Effect' and 'Description')

The extension automatically detects the required dice needed for the rolls based upon the table definitions and users are free to customise the tables (excluding table name and column headers) in any way.

Screenshot of example tables below.

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5581727147_ba6b2b1eeb.jpg (https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5025/5581727147_4194245d4b_o.jpg)

The extension currently requires v1.4 of the 4E Tables extension. Installation and Setup instructions can be found in the accompanying readme.txt file. Please note the functionality within this extension is designed to replace part of the functionality from the older 4E House Rules extension. Therefore please ensure the 4E House Rules extension is disabled when using 4E Fumbles & Critical Hits.

In addition I have uploaded a module (4e Tables - Fumble-Critical Hit.mod) which contains examples of the four required tables needed to enable the extension to function. Both the .mod and .ext files can be found on my Resource Site under Extensions and Misc sections.

Enjoy!

DrZ.

devinnight
April 7th, 2011, 03:51
This is great. Thanks.

vodokar
April 7th, 2011, 04:20
I think you already know how grateful I am.

vodokar
April 7th, 2011, 05:06
Results of testing.

Critical Hit Table not being called on roll of natural 20.

All else works perfectly.

Zeus
April 7th, 2011, 08:26
Vodokar - ??? Both Fumbles and Critical Hit rolls are working for me just fine? You can see from the screenshots I attached in the 1st post.

I just tested again, after installing the extension on one of my other Win7 systems and all is working as expected.

Some Questions:

- Have you created the Critical Hit and Critical Hit Effect tables? Can these be manually rolled on?
- Did you use my tables from the accompanying module? Or did you create them yourself? If the latter, can you post up a screenshot.
- Have you enabled the option to enable Critical Hit Rolls?
- Do you get any error messages (via the chatpad or console)?

A quick reminder that the rolls only apply to attack rolls, how are you initiating the attack rolls?

Blue Haven
April 7th, 2011, 10:00
Just another amazing job :)
Thank you so much :)

vodokar
April 7th, 2011, 11:07
Some Questions:

- Have you created the Critical Hit and Critical Hit Effect tables? Can these be manually rolled on?
- Did you use my tables from the accompanying module? Or did you create them yourself? If the latter, can you post up a screenshot.
- Have you enabled the option to enable Critical Hit Rolls?
- Do you get any error messages (via the chatpad or console)?

A quick reminder that the rolls only apply to attack rolls, how are you initiating the attack rolls?

Okay, I went back and checked on something. This is what I found. If I have something targeted, then both the critical hit and fumbles work.

If I don't have something targeted and just make untargeted attack rolls, the fumbles still work, but the critical hits do not.

That explains why it worked when you tested it, but didn't when I tried it. My first test, I didn't have anything targeted. Guess I was just excited to get to test things and hadn't stopped to think about trying it with something targeted.

This isn't an issue at all for me, as I always use targeting in my games and require the same of my players. So, it will work great for me.

The one thing I didn't check was drag and drop attacks. I would guess that also would work since you are also declaring a target of the attack via that method.

If someone isn't in the habit of using targeting for automatic hit/miss lookups, then that might pose a problem for them. There are some that prefer not to use the combat resolution and still figure it manually. These are mainly DMs who use manual lookups so that they can fudge the numbers if they want to.

But, then again, if they aren't using targeting and auto combat resolution, they probably wouldn't be wanting to have the tables autoroll in the first place. Thus, I sincerely doubt this is worth even looking at. Someone who prefers to do things manually, could still find use in having the tables and just do the rolls on the tables manually.

Zeus
April 7th, 2011, 14:05
Ah I see. Yes critical hit roll logic only applies to targeted attacks (where there is a defence value to target against). This as the outcome messages within the standard processDiceLanded() routine are only displayed when the attack is targeted. I agree though that Fumbles and Critical Hit table rolls only make sense if you are targeting your attacks.

DMs who do not want the automated table roll behaviour to occur for PCs should set the Combat option Target: Enable PC actions to 'Report'. This will result in PC attack rolls of 1 and 20 outputting a [FUMBLED] or [AUTOMATIC HIT, CHECK FOR CRITICAL] message. Tables can then be manually rolled.

Fumbles should not be working where there is no target - thats an unintentional side effect or bug. I'll review the attack handling logic and will post up v1.1 shortly with a fix.

Drag/Drop is also working as expected.

Thanks for the feedback.

Zeus
April 7th, 2011, 14:56
All,

v1.1 has now been uploaded to the resource site, please download and report any comments/bugs. Thanks.

8th April 2011 v1.1

Fixed a bug that manifsted a fumble roll for attack rolls of 1 when no target was set.
Optimised processDiceLanded() to streamline reporting messages

vodokar
April 7th, 2011, 20:58
Once again, your awesome.

That should give everyone the option of the functionality that most pleases them.

adminwheel3
April 8th, 2011, 03:41
Looks great! But I had a little trouble with the setup.

On step 4 you have the following:
4. In the Tables list switch back to the campaign category

Looking at my Tables categories all I had were are a blank group, the "4e Calendars" and the "4e Tables - Fumble-Critical Hit"

It took me some fiddling to figure out that the blank group was the campaign category group you had mentioned.

Now to set up a table for each of my player's weapons!

Fot5
April 8th, 2011, 23:55
I am perplexed by this. I've never seen FGII put a red X by an extension. Any idea why this is happening?

https://www.edwolfe.net/files/screenshot.jpg

Zeus
April 9th, 2011, 00:20
The red X denotes the extension dependencies have not been met.

In this case the Fumbles and Criticals extensions depends upon the 1.4 release of the 4E Tables extension.

I can see you have a 4E Tables extension listed in the Extensions list and its selected but I'm willing to bet its not v1.4. You can you check by hovering the mouse over the 4E Tables entry, a tooltip should appear containing the name, author and version details.

Fot5
April 9th, 2011, 01:46
Doi. Yes, that was it. However, now I'm getting an error that says it's not finding the table data.

https://www.edwolfe.net/files/screenshot2.jpg

vodokar
April 9th, 2011, 09:37
There were actually 3 parts to be installed 1) critical and fumbles extension 2) 1.4 of the tables extension and 3) critical hits and fumbles module

You clearly have installed the first 2 parts.

Have you:

1) installed the critical hits and fumbles module
2) opened that module in FG
3) opened the four tables in the critical and fumble tables button
4) then dragged the four tables into the campaign tables button

Not sure if I have totally explained this correctly off the top of my head. Check the nice readme file Dr.Zeuss made for his exact instructions.

Once the tables are installed properly, the table calls should work.

Zeus
April 9th, 2011, 10:06
Fot5 - As Vodokar has correctly said, have you copied the 4 required tables from the module to the campaign Tables list?

The error messages you are seeing in the chatwindow are caused by the four tables not being accessible from the Campaign's Table list.

I included some step-by-step instructions for installing and setting up in the Extension readme.txt, have another read and if your still having difficulty let me know.

Fot5
April 9th, 2011, 15:14
Yes, that was it. Thanks, guys. I had the module loaded and the tables available, but I hadn't yet installed them on the campaign tab of the Tables window. It works wonderfully now.

AndyPan
June 19th, 2011, 23:59
I see that this thread goes back a couple of months, but I am having the same issue that Fot5 mentioned with the red X next to the Fumble and Criticals extension in the extensions list. Dr. Zeuss, I see you pointed out to him that his Tables extension wasn't up to date, and that once he got the latest version, it fixed his problem. However, I have version 1.5 of the Tables extension, and am still getting the red X. Is there something I am missing? Love the extension, and my group has been using it even without the automation... when we remember. Would be great to get this working with the automation. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

Trenloe
June 20th, 2011, 03:34
Dr. Zeuss, I see you pointed out to him that his Tables extension wasn't up to date, and that once he got the latest version, it fixed his problem. However, I have version 1.5 of the Tables extension, and am still getting the red X.

Dr. Zeuss didn't say "the latest version" he actually said:

In this case the Fumbles and Criticals extensions depends upon the 1.4 release of the 4E Tables extension.

The fumbles and criticals extension is coded to look specifically for V1.4 of the tables extension, hence the red X as you have V1.5. Unfortunately, I can't see tables V1.4 on DrZ's site. Manually editing the dependency maxversion in extension.xml of the fumbles and critical .ext may work?

Zeus
June 20th, 2011, 12:12
Yes, as Trenloe has correctly said, the Fumbles and Criticals extension is coded to look specifically for v1.4 of the tables extension, as you have v1.5 it's causing the dependecy check to fail, hence the red X.

If you need to make it work with v1.5 before I upload an updated version (hopefully later this week), just open the extension.xml file and edit the dependency maxversion value to read 1.5 as opposed to 1.4. That should do the trick.

AndyPan
June 20th, 2011, 16:07
You're correct, I mis-quoted. My bad. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the help.

Zeus
June 22nd, 2011, 08:57
I just finished some updates for the 4E Tables extension, following the new API changes introduced by JPG in v2.8.

v1.6 will support dynamically sized table column widths and introduces an additional formattedtextfield for additional notes.

I have also updated Fumbles & Critical Hits to work with Tables v1.4 to v1.6.

As soon as FGII 2.8 is released, I upload the new versions.

Zeus
July 3rd, 2011, 10:16
For those who are testing v2.8 of FGII. Please note that I have released test versions of my extensions, including an updated Fumbles & Critical Hits extension.

4E Fumble & Critical Hits
1st July 2011 v1.2

Updated to support 2.8 API and 4E v2.1
Moved Game options palette to House Rules (GM) section.
Updated support for 4E Tables v1.6 functionality.

Click the banner in my signature to go to the new site to download all my 4E goodies.

Enjoy!

DrZ.

Pendalath
July 11th, 2011, 21:45
Hey Doc. I need some help. My Crit and Fumble rolls get stuck. What am I missing and or doing wrong?
I have attached a chatbox with a roll examble.

Zeus
July 11th, 2011, 23:38
Hey Doc. I need some help. My Crit and Fumble rolls get stuck. What am I missing and or doing wrong?
I have attached a chatbox with a roll examble.

Assuming you have a Fumble and Fumble Effect table created and available in the Tables list, have you made the table rolls visible?

Open the Fumble and Fumble Effect Tables and make sure the Eye symbol in the right corner isn't greyed out/semi-transparent. If it is, click it and try again.

Pendalath
July 12th, 2011, 14:30
All is loaded, created, visible snd so on. I do get and error when I open the tables (or create a new table) but I asumed it was a general thing with no influence on this.
Nothing happens even if I roll directly on the table as I have done in this screen shot.

Zeus
July 12th, 2011, 17:49
Ah Ha. I understand the problem now. Am i right in thinking your running the latest test release of the tables and F&C extensions under FGII 2.7.6?

The latest test version of my Tables extension (v1.6) requires v2.8 of FGII which is available as a test release.

Either:

- roll back the version of the table extension to the current release version v1.5

or

- upgrade FGII from v2.7.6 to v2.8.

Pendalath
July 12th, 2011, 21:06
ok.. updated and ran the test version 2.8. It still does exactly the same.
I did a table roll and it comes out with the "[Table roll] Fumble effect (All)"
the same as before and the same in the crit effect table.

Zeus
July 12th, 2011, 21:48
ok.. updated and ran the test version 2.8. It still does exactly the same.
I did a table roll and it comes out with the "[Table roll] Fumble effect (All)"
the same as before and the same in the crit effect table.

Can you open the console and confirm if the same error is being output i.e. setColumnWidth is nil.

Also, can you post up a screenshot of your tables.

Pendalath
July 13th, 2011, 09:37
I dont get the console error anymore, after the upgrade to v2.8.

Zeus
July 13th, 2011, 12:38
OK, I think the problem maybe related to game options that you have set. Check the options palette and scroll down to the Game (GM) section and make sure the Chat: Show roll totals option is set to On.

Pendalath
July 13th, 2011, 12:42
Excellent .. That did the job. Thank you so much for your help Drzeuss. :D

/Pendalath

Zeus
July 13th, 2011, 13:38
Excellent .. That did the job. Thank you so much for your help Drzeuss. :D

/Pendalath

No worries.

braindead91
August 6th, 2011, 02:53
I get the little red X with version 1.7 of table. Are you gonna do an update or is there a way to fix it myself? I'm brand new to this, so Im not sure what to do :)

Thanks!

Zeus
August 7th, 2011, 13:44
I get the little red X with version 1.7 of table. Are you gonna do an update or is there a way to fix it myself? I'm brand new to this, so Im not sure what to do :)

Thanks!

Oops. Re-download v1.2 of F&C Hits.ext from my site. I removed the maxversion dependency. It should now work with 1.7 and all future releases of 4E Tables.

braindead91
August 7th, 2011, 15:44
Works perfect, thank you ! :)

gmkieran
September 28th, 2011, 19:19
Hey, DrZ! I actually got the Fumbles table to work for the first time last night (not sure how, because I didn't change anything from last week's session when it didn't work), but the Hits table still gives an error that it's not found. I have the latest version, have copied the extension and the module and have made sure to copy all four tables to the campaign tab of my campaign. I thought I remembered someone else having this issue, but I can't find it. Any idea why one would work and not the other?

thanks!
GMK

Zeus
September 28th, 2011, 20:01
Hey, DrZ! I actually got the Fumbles table to work for the first time last night (not sure how, because I didn't change anything from last week's session when it didn't work), but the Hits table still gives an error that it's not found. I have the latest version, have copied the extension and the module and have made sure to copy all four tables to the campaign tab of my campaign. I thought I remembered someone else having this issue, but I can't find it. Any idea why one would work and not the other?

thanks!
GMK

Not sure gmkieran, if you copied the tables from the supplied module as is and have enabled both Fumbles and Critical Hit rolls in the ruleset Options palette, it should work 'out of the box'.

Whilst you are free to edit the table entries, make sure the Table names remain as Fumble, Fumble Effect, Critical Hit and Critical Hit Effect.

Can you post up a screenshot of your tables as well as the error message your seeing.

gmkieran
September 28th, 2011, 20:49
Thanks, DrZ! I'll double check the Options - I thought I'd enabled both and I didn't change what was enabled since last week; need to make sure the roll totals are shown, too, so the players can laugh along with me! Nice to know they can be edited - might be fun to make up some different things to put in there.

Will see if I can post the screen shot tonight, though it may be difficult to read. For some reason, the background on the tables window is darker than any other window and it's almost impossible to see the text displayed on it.

cheers!
gmkieran

lordsoth
October 21st, 2011, 02:00
For me the crit rolls but they can't find the tables in the module. Even when I open the module in the library (click on the link) nothing happens.

Is there something I'm missing? I copied the mod file to the modules folder and I have the ext.

Zeus
October 21st, 2011, 07:30
For me the crit rolls but they can't find the tables in the module. Even when I open the module in the library (click on the link) nothing happens.

Is there something I'm missing? I copied the mod file to the modules folder and I have the ext.

The extension looks for the tables in the Campaign, therefore it sounds like you haven't copied the tables to the campaign. See the read me or below for step by step instructions.

Open the Module Activation window and open the module, '4E Fumbles & Critical Hits'.
Open the Tables list and select the Category '4E Fumbles & Critical Hits'
Open all four tables: Fumble, Fumble Effect, Critical Hit and Critical Hit Effect
In the Tables list switch back to the campaign category
Drag the reference link (red dragon icon) from each of the four tables onto the campaign tables list to create the four tables.
With all clients connected, share each of the tables.
Edit the tables as per your game preferences.

Also, make sure the table is set to Visible (click the eye symbol next to the d20 graphic, top right of the table) and remember to set Show Roll Totals in the GM options of the Ruleset, if you want to display roll results to the chatwindow.

lordsoth
October 21st, 2011, 19:15
ok I have activated the module using the Module Activation window.

The problem is that when I click on the module in the library it's empty. There is nothing inside it. No tables or categories.

Zeus
October 22nd, 2011, 08:36
Open the Tables list and select the Category '4E Fumbles & Critical Hits'

Modules containing tables will not display the data in the Library. make sure the module is activated and then click on the Tables button (top-right of the desktop), modules containing Tables will be displayed in the Tables window under a new category.

gmkieran
October 26th, 2011, 17:15
Hey, DrZ! had an interesting experience last night. I've never gotten this extension working, but last night it correctly registered and did some additional rolls for *NPC* crits but still gave me table not found errors for the PC rolls. Is there a setting I've missed or something I need to give my players so that their crits also produce rolls on these tables? I have made sure that the tables are populated in the module and that the module is open.

Thanks!
gmkieran

Zeus
October 26th, 2011, 19:29
If the rolls are working for NPCs but not for connected players controlling PCs, its likely down to the tables not having been shared to the players.

Make sure each table is shared, you can check the shared status by hovering over the S symbol next to the table name in the Tables window.

Ask each connected player to check and make sure they can each see the 4 tables in their Tables window. If they can, have them make some manual table rolls to confirm you can see the table roll output on the chatwindow.

If not, check the table visibility is set to vissible and Show Roll Results is set to on in the 4E options palette.

gmkieran
November 8th, 2011, 19:44
Doh! Thanks, DrZ! I somehow missed the fact that the tables had to be shared from the host to the clients. I assumed that, because they *have* the tables they would register. I'll share them over tonight and see how things go.

Cheers!
GMK