PDA

View Full Version : What's the simplest rule system out there?

MeganHunter
April 2nd, 2011, 01:58
I got my friends to play Fantasy Grounds, and I've put a lot of work into a generic campaign. Unfortunately I worry how to get it to work in the engine. This is my first time actually using FG so I'm hoping it's not as complicated as all that. All the cool bells and whistles also mean that you don't get the functionality of plain notebook paper.

We'd usually play 2 edition or 3.5, but for this particular game I was really hoping to use my own very dumbed down system. If I had to pick another system, old school Basic D&D would probably be the closest match. While we could try this in 3.5 or 4, I don't think FG would let them design their own classes that way, right? If we just stick with the traditional classes, I worry that the engine won't let me do the things I need to, like add things to their character sheets at certain points: spell like abilities, attacks per round, ect. An empty sheet would be fine, but I heard FG had a lot of auto-updating number stuff built into the code, if so it would cause monstrous problems. I'd also like to add & remove things from the weapons list, ect. I just don't want a by the book campaign.

1. Is there a system in place to make your own character sheet without knowing how to code? Has anyone made a simple template with the fields already in, for example? I don't care about any sort of auto updating, just the blank spots that they can "pencil in" their own info as it updates is fine. Even a blank look with editable text fields for everyone would work in a pinch.

2. If a layman can't create their own system, do any allow you to create your own classes? (Inside FG, of course.)

2. If that's not an option either, what's the simplest game system for FG that you can get? Savage Worlds?

Thanks for the help, it's surprisingly hard to find this info online,

~Megan

Griogre
April 2nd, 2011, 03:02
I'll answer this two ways: A lot of your fears seem to be related to automation greatly reducing your flexibly - and this is a valid point. I will say that rulesets vary greatly in automation with the more recent ones being much more automated (and complex usually). Itsounds like just a simple non automated or very low automation is something you are looking for. For 3.5, the original d20 ruleset available in the download section has almost no character sheet automation. This might be exactly what you are looking for for a 3.5 game. If you are more interested in an old school basic D&D game you might want to look at the C&C ruleset. There is about the same amount of character sheet automation as the d20 and Castles and Crusades is pretty much basic D&D except AC counts up like the later versions. Finally there is the Generic ruleset which is just a blank character sheet that you can enter pretty much what you want and its all text with zero automation. https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Generic

On the simplest rule system that's going to be a matter of opinion. I like Savage Worlds but I not sure I would call it the simplest system out there.

phantomwhale
April 2nd, 2011, 03:26
I'd say one of FG's great advantages are the custom built rulesets, providing in depth support for specific sets of rules without overly automating.

I would say this makes it less flexable for too much house ruling and extra items. Well, not inflexible - most character sheets have a notes section, and 95% of the time when people need to track an extra bit or bob with a ruleset, the simplest answer is "use the notes section"; like you say - the functionality of a plain sheet of notepaper is sometimes all you want !

That said, if your playing quite a distance away from the 3.5E or 4E rules, I am not sure what FGII can offer - I know there is a "foundation" ruleset somewhere, but I've never used it. Equally I moved away from D&D to give myself less work for planning new adventures and running improvised material, and have indeed gone to Savage Worlds like you suggested.

Not sure if Savage IS the answer to how you want to play - I'd look at the "test drive" rules on pinnacle's website (https://www.peginc.com/downloads.html) if your interested, to get a flavor of how it works. I also know a few people run the occasional "trial session" of Savage Worlds on the boards too, so maybe try playing in one of them too if you want some fast learning experience. I find it fast and fun (tm) to play, but it's not necessarily a "simple" rule set like Griogre mentions - the rolls and basics are simple (my non-gamer players love it) but there is still some learning to really get into it and understand the nuts and bolts.

If you do decide to go Savage, or have more questions about that, feel free to post more questions either here or on the Savage forums. I've picked up the job of supporting the ruleset at the moment, and expect a new patch out sometime soon to polish it up and add some more helpful features, so can provide lots more information around what can be done within that ruleset.

MeganHunter
April 2nd, 2011, 05:09
Thank you both for all of your help, I really appreciate it. I bought FG2 about four years ago but have finally convinced my other friends to use it. Traditionally we play D&D, and I wanted to make sure I was looking at something actually pretty for hours on end, so this was the clear choice.

I've been messing around with your Generic suggestion Griogre and this is perfect, thank you. Essentially two blank sheets without the automation is just what the doctor ordered for this campaign. We're also planning to do at least one more campaign with a different DM, something more realistic and gritty, so any of the complex systems and automation will be very enjoyable there, I'm anxious to see it in action.

Thank you too Phantomwhale, Savage was a pure guess on my part because I know it can do many genres, so I was just guessing that it might have a pretty generic level up system. I do like Pulp stories so if I can get the others excited I'm sure Savage will be the system of choice.

Not to get too off topic, though my own system is based a bit of the "do anything you want" nature of this example. Did anyone whip up a character sheet for Mutants & Masterminds? I've bought all the PDFs from Green Ronin, I'd love to be able to play it. Certainly, this same Generic sheet might work in a pinch.

Valarian
April 2nd, 2011, 08:28
If you like pulp stories, it'd be worth investigating Spirit of the Century by Evil Hat. This uses the FATE engine, which is a extremely simple system once you get used to the use of invoking and compelling aspects.

I'd agree with Griogre that Castles and Crusades would fit the games you mentioned above. I'm one of those who hated the old THAC0 system, so I was glad when 3e did away with it. C&C has, I think, the best of the old D&D (simplicity) with the revised combat system of 3e.

lazarus0280
April 3rd, 2011, 04:20
Hey Megan. Nice to meetcha. While alot of your questions have probablly been answered, you can also pop into the FG chat room at...

https://fg2.rpg-vault.net/

Sometimes there's alot going on in there and people around willing to answer questions. Also, there are people possibly interested in designing something that you could want for your game. character sheets, etc. The community here is all pretty awesome, so feel free to become apart!

Life can be pretty hectic, but if you find yourself with some free time holler at me. We can get you in some demo's of Savage worlds, 4e or other systems and let you test the waters so to speak. Since joining FG, I've learned sooooo many different rulesets and had a blast. Lots of good ones out there.

Anyway, hope to see you around. Good luck with your game! Introduce us to your other players when you have the chance. We LOVE new blood!

MeganHunter
April 9th, 2011, 18:30
Thanks you guys. My players are wanting me to convert it from my home-made, Basic resembling system (using the blank Generic sheets) into D&D 4th. I've heard some not so great things about that system, especially if you've mostly played 2cd like me, but I don't mind if that's what they want. I see the latest patch added some 4th features, but how does anyone sell modules of the core books? Is it like Wizards doesn't because they want you to shell out money for the miniatures?

Galeric
April 10th, 2011, 05:01
Hey Megan,

I like you came to this with the exact same questions, and i found Castles and Crusades to be D&D basic. You can convert basic/expert and 1e D&D to it very quick and without much effort. C&C is automated to a point, but the rest is pretty much open for you as a DM to do pretty much what ever you like. And a major bonus.. no THAC0 !! woohooo

4e is very automated and being an older school D&D guy, 4e just has way to much going on with it. They tried to make it simple and to a point they have, yet, when i see a "rules compendium" that is 335 pages, i have to wonder exactly what is so simple about it.

To me, home-made is basic to 1e, thats the good stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

vodokar
April 10th, 2011, 07:04
Galeric, you know you don't have to try very hard or long to convince me that AD&D 1e was a kickass game and still is.

However, in order to be fair, the 4e rules compendium is only 355 pages because it is paperback digest size. If it were a full size hardback, it would probably only weigh in about 200 pages -- about the same size as the 1e players manual and that doesn't include the 1e DM's guide.

Are there a lot of rules for 4e? Well, yes and no.

It is a modular game. The core rules that all players need to know are in the rules compendium.

There are a lot of class specific player information which they put books out for, all of which is accessible via the character builder -- thus making it unnecessary to even have or read those books.

As a DM, I have quite a few DM specific books and modules in my library, but that is true of most any game master running any game of any edition of anything.

4e is a much different game than 1e. 1e is more streamlined. But, I wouldn't necessarily say that either one is necessarily more complex from a player point of view. They each have their own complexities. And the very design of any roleplaying game is to hide away those complexities from the player and reveal them one step at a time as they level up.

You went thru that with 1e when you were first learning to play it. The only reason it seems simple to you now is because you've played it before.

Having both played and DM'ed 1e and 4e, I can tell you that most of the complexity of 4e lies in putting more stuff on the DM to keep track of -- namely, in keeping track of all of the different status and state conditions that pc's and npc's can have. That's why the FG 4e ruleset is such a god send, because it can keep track of all of that for the DM.

vodokar
April 10th, 2011, 07:58
There are no 4e modules in the Fantasy Grounds Store, because they are all copyrighted material and the company that owns D&D doesn't permit it. Likewise for Pre 4e D&D, except some materials which were designed under the D20/OGL license by 3rd party companies. The same is true of Paizo's Pathfinder System. Smiteworks tried to get them on board with selling their pathfinder stuff thru the store, but they ended up not signing on.

So, what do we do as DM's? Once legally purchased, we key the adventures into FG ourselves in the case of hard copy modules or Dungeon Magazine articles or we copy/past from pdf's. You can do that to your heart's content, providing it is for your own use -- you just can't legally share it with anyone for sale or gift, since it's copywrited.

Having said that, I will also say that it isn't really necessary to key the entirety of an adventure module into Fantasy Grounds in order to play it. If you have a hard copy of it, you can just read from it--not necessary to put all that into FG unless you want to go completely paperless. The only things absolutely necessary to enter in are the npc/creature stats and maps that will be used during the adventure.

Regarding converting old material into 4th ed. It can be done, however, it is a very big headache, because the games are so much different and have so much different balance. Your much better off running AD&D material in C&C, 3/3.5/pathfinder stuff in 3.5 and 4e in 4e. All three of those rulesets exist in Fantasy Grounds and do a good job of supporting the version of D&D they were designed to support.

I hope that adequately answers your question -- as I've read your question about 10 times and can't really make heads or tails of it what your trying to ask--especially the part asking about modules of the core books and miniatures. No clue what you meant by this.

Regarding what you may or may not have heard regarding 4e -- don't pay any attention to it. Make up your own mind. That is mostly edition wars between those that play Paizo's Pathfinder and those that stuck with WOTC's 4e.

It's all irrelevant to you, because, a great percentage of those people in either camp that make it their business to tell other people how great they think their own choice of modern D&D is and how dumb the other guys are for playing what they play are also into making it their business telling people like you and me that still like AD&D that we are dumb. I know a short pier in a deep lake that those guys can take a long walk on.

The truth is: all versions of D&D (including Pathfinder, which technically isn't D&D since it's by a different company) are good and fun games to play. It just depends on what mood you are in at the time.

Thanks you guys. My players are wanting me to convert it from my home-made, Basic resembling system (using the blank Generic sheets) into D&D 4th. I've heard some not so great things about that system, especially if you've mostly played 2cd like me, but I don't mind if that's what they want. I see the latest patch added some 4th features, but how does anyone sell modules of the core books? Is it like Wizards doesn't because they want you to shell out money for the miniatures?

MeganHunter
April 10th, 2011, 16:31
Galeric, thank you for the mail. I basically went through from my memories of 2cd edition and Basic, and made my own d20 system. I did this to dumb it down a whole lot; I did that because this campaign can get a little crazy, so I wanted to make things almost board game like and have most of the puzzle solving be the players talking out their strategy instead of rolling correctly. When a player saw me remove things like classes and replace movement range with squares, he instantly thought of the 4th he'd been playing. From the little I've been able to glean, 4th is just as complicated as 3.5 but in a different way: more of a focus on miniature battle, like Warhammer. That might not be accurate. But either way, I think the similarities he saw to my campaign were just on the surface: mine's purely made to make combat as simple as possible, not to open up a bunch of strategic options. I will look into C&C and 4th, at this point I don't mind playing in either of the 3 ways I just want to get them started already lol.

Vodokar, I'm just starting out with FG so I may have the terminology wrong. Basically I was looking for in-game rulebooks, legal ones for any system, that I might be able to purchase: things like Call of Cthulhu, ect. The campaign setting is less important since I have my own. But in the same manner we can load up 3.5 edition spells or what-have-you, I thought actual rule books might be available inside the program. I do see what you mean though, it's far from necessary, and I don't mind having a PDF or word doc open separately.

But if anyone has a link to instructions to make your own "book" (ie 3.5 edition spells) I would love to make one for the magic items in my campaign, if not the entire game rules themselves. That's all I meant by module. (The miniatures part was me simply hearing word-of-mouth that D&D changed from 3.5 to 4 so they could "screw people out of the cost of buying all those miniatures," and would never form an agreement with FG because the miniatures here are free. But as you say, folks tend to get passionate about their brand of choice.)

Edit: I've started to find a few of these module creation notes here, (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948) and boy howdy are they mighty complicated.

vodokar
April 10th, 2011, 18:50
Oh, Ok. So, you meant "FG Library modules" of the rulebooks.

Yes, if it has anything to do with the two modern versions of D&D (4e and Pathfinder), neither WOTC nor Paizo has signed on with Fantasy Grounds. It is not legal to buy, sell or trade publicly any rulebooks from either company in Fantasy Grounds format.

The work around of having to make your own online rulebooks seems to keep the two big boys off of our backs since you presumably have to actually have a legally obtained copy of the rulebooks from which to be working from.

And yes, making your own modules requires some basic xml knowledge and is not for the faint of heart.

There is also a work around actually manually making modules for 4th ed, in that, if you have a subscription to DDI with WOTC, then you have legal access to the information of every rulebook, Dungeon and Dragon magazine without having actually purchased hard copies.

Thus, if you have legal access to the info in the DDI electronic database, it is legal for you to use a program like "Tennian's 4e parser" to connect to that database you legally have a subscription to and read that data stream and then transform it into a format compatible with Fantasy Grounds Library Modules and then use these modules for your own personal use during your games.

So, with 4e, it is possible to automatically make useable library modules to use in Fantasy Grounds. There are plenty of threads that explain how to do that using Tennian's 4e Parser. You will need a DDI subscription to do so.

I'm not aware if there is any way to do the same thing with Pathfinder.

Regardless of wether you can make these online library modules or not, you will still need to buy some actual physical books in order to actually play 4e or Pathfinder. The type of modules that you can make using Tennian's Parser grab things like spell lists and monster stats out of the database. It is very useful, but it doesn't grab the textual explanation of the rulebooks.

So, your absolute minimum investment in order to be able to play 4e would be the purchase of a Rules Compendium and a subscription to DDI. That gives the player enough information to play. As a DM though, just like any other version of D&D, you'll need and want more than just the core rules.

Likewise with Pathfinder, the bare minimum you would need to understand how to play would be a copy of the Core Players Handbook. But, a DM would want and need more.

Regarding what you heard about "WOTC changing from 3.5 to 4 in order to screw people out of money of buying miniatures". (hmmm, say that to yourself a couple times and tell me that doesn't sound like someone's crazy conspiracy theory).

First of all, miniatures are not required to play 4e. Nor are miniatures purchased from WOTC. In point of fact, WOTC doesn't even make miniatures anymore. They make sets of inexpensive tokens. You are free to purchase or not purchase them from them.

Secondly, 3.5 and Pathfinder need something to keep track of where your character is on a tactical map equally as much as 4e does. For those people that were using miniatures to play 3.5, it isn't like their miniature became obsolete and they had to throw them in the trash and purchase new WOTC miniatures to play 4e. A miniature is a miniature is a miniature.

Some people use miniatures. Some people use tokens. Some people use marbles or coins or little pieces of paper. And on FG, we use electronic tokens. The fact remains: all modern versions of D&D are more tactical and thus need some means to keep track of where your characters and creatures are on a tactical map. But, it's not as if people started using miniatures with D&D just recently. People have been using miniatures or tokens since day 1 with D&D. After all, D&D started as a miniatures wargame called Chainmail.

WOTC didn't change from 3.5 to 4 to sell more miniatures. They changed from 3.5 to 4 to sell more books. Also, they felt a legitmate need to update the rules into something more modern. Wether you agree or not agree with the changes they made, they did so believing it was the best for the game as a whole.

At any rate, I'm just curious. There is absolutely nothing wrong with simply playing AD&D. If you already own all your own rulebooks, no one is forcing you to invest in the new game. If you don't still have your own original AD&D rulebooks, you can buy OSRIC or C&C and still continue to play a game very much like AD&D and there certainly is nothing wrong with that.

I'm wondering, because you don't really seem too pleased with the notion that you will have to learn a new game and purchase new rulebooks. You don't have to if you don't want to. Don't play modern D&D because it's what other people are doing; play it cause you want to or don't. There is no gun to your head.

If your player told you he/she thought your game resembled 4e simply because you were using miniatures or tokens on a map, he/she clearly has no clue of the history of D&D or what they are talking about.

Oh, and the electronic tokens for Fantasy Grounds are not free. They are sold in the Fantasy Grounds Store.

Vodokar, I'm just starting out with FG so I may have the terminology wrong. Basically I was looking for in-game rulebooks, legal ones for any system, that I might be able to purchase: things like Call of Cthulhu, ect. The campaign setting is less important since I have my own. But in the same manner we can load up 3.5 edition spells or what-have-you, I thought actual rule books might be available inside the program. I do see what you mean though, it's far from necessary, and I don't mind having a PDF or word doc open separately.

But if anyone has a link to instructions to make your own "book" (ie 3.5 edition spells) I would love to make one for the magic items in my campaign, if not the entire game rules themselves. That's all I meant by module. (The miniatures part was me simply hearing word-of-mouth that D&D changed from 3.5 to 4 so they could "screw people out of the cost of buying all those miniatures," and would never form an agreement with FG because the miniatures here are free. But as you say, folks tend to get passionate about their brand of choice.)

Edit: I've started to find a few of these module creation notes here, (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12948) and boy howdy are they mighty complicated.

Moon Wizard
April 10th, 2011, 20:35
As vodokar mentioned, we do have token packs for sale in the FG store.

If you would rather do it yourself, there are some token sets floating around the web that you can download for free. The biggest problem with that approach is having to standardize them to the same size, so that they are the same size on the map.

Also, you might search for threads on making tokens. There are a couple tools floating around that might help you make your own, if you're interested.

For the game, my two cents. I feel that 4E at its core is a much more streamlined system for D&D; however, the character options are vastly more complex. It's really just a trade-off of content and style of play. I think most people update to the new versions to try something slightly newer, but still familiar.

All the options that people have suggested for simple rulesets are the ones I would suggest. In the end, if you are running your own system anyways, it really doesn't matter what ruleset you use. You just need one that doesn't get in the way of your style of play.

Cheers,
JPG

MeganHunter
April 10th, 2011, 21:36
Oh no worries on the tokens, I'm an illustrator so I'm just planning to make my own. I've got a cintiq (https://www.kk.org/cooltools/cintique.jpg) and I have to say playing around with the maps, drawing and revealing masks last night, it's wonderfully effortless and a joy to do. I've already started looking up how to create my own buttons, icons, ect though I'm sure I won't mess around with all that until after we've started.

Griogre
April 11th, 2011, 04:50
One comment on the getting DDI to make 4E modules - you only need to sign up for a month, its not an ongoing expense if you don't like DDI. On 4E I don't find it more or less complicated from any version of D&D its just complicated in a different place - the powers.

You might also consider just running the 4E with the Essentials PH's Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms which are more like older versions of D&D. You can pick them up on Amazon for about $15 a piece.

StuartW
April 11th, 2011, 06:26
If you're looking for a simple system, with an old-school feel and ready-made library modules (monsters, spells and rules), then I'd suggest Labyrinth Lord (a free retro-clone of D&D Basic/Expert/Companion/Master, available from the Wiki) or Basic Roleplaying (a commercial ruleset, which uses Call of Cthulhu mechanics).

The former isn't too pretty (I followed the artwork in the rulebook) but also has a slightly better vellum skin. The latter is quite good looking and GM-moddable, but not free (but not much different to a month's subscription to DDI). In both of them the library modules are already built, so you can just load-em-up and start playing.

Stuart

Doswelk
April 12th, 2011, 20:37
Ignoring my bias as to what the best system is :D

I have every edition of (A)D&D so far and only really played 1st and 2nd, I gather that 4th edition plays better than it reads (I would hope so! As it reads (to me) ruddy awful!)

A member of my group plays 4e another night and like it a lot so I am most likely being unfair.

For me the question of "simple" rule system has two meanings, simple to learn the rules and simple to knock up an adventure when real life gets in the way.

I used to despair at how long creating a D20 Modern NPC used to take to create, then I discovered Savage Worlds now I can create NPCs mid-game if I have to! Fully stated and capable of dealing with anything the PCs throw at me!

For the D&D feel I would also suggest C&C.

Raruku
April 13th, 2011, 13:39
I'd say the simplest one is the adventure book ruleset - the really old one designed to be played entirely from a paperback book. It is probably too simple though. :p It's a system designed to expand on the single-player Fighting Fantasy books to accommodate two or three players and one DM. You just have three stats: Skill, Stamina, and Luck

It can be hard to find copies now, but if you can it is still a really fun game to play, especially with the nice illustrations for each room and a ruleset that doesn't require you to look things up. The rules cover about three pages and the players don't really need to know about any of them before you start playing.

Here is the first one (https://fightingfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Fighting_Fantasy_-_The_Introductory_Role-playing_Game) and also some others (https://cinerati.blogspot.com/2010/04/lone-wolf-multiplayer-game-book-does-it.html):

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ubu3xfFJMTQ/S8ig5m_7g0I/AAAAAAAAAbU/XgiTVsil2Yk/s320/Fighting+Fantasy+RPG.jpghttps://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ubu3xfFJMTQ/S8ihC-UQK8I/AAAAAAAAAbc/Bc0MYTRgVAg/s320/Fighting+Fantasy+Riddling+Reaver.jpghttps://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ubu3xfFJMTQ/S8iht0MD1sI/AAAAAAAAAbk/he54NRqf6SA/s320/Fighting+Fantasy+Dungeoneer.jpg

They are also making some new ones now.

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ubu3xfFJMTQ/S8ieN-pXiaI/AAAAAAAAAbM/mk84MCjbr58/s320/Lone+Wolf+Multiplayer.jpg

MeganHunter
April 13th, 2011, 17:07
Wow I was just thinking of Lone Wolf! :D Though I didn't know they made a p&p system, I only knew about the choose your own adventure books.

Well I ended up making my own system for this campaign, using the Generic character sheets. The reason is because the story will cause the players' stats, powers and even forms to fluctuate wildly. I wanted to make sure everyone remained about the same combat wise. I also wanted something to draw more female players and get everyone's wives in, who worried p&p was too complicated. My rulebook just passed the fifty page mark, but here are the main reasons I was worried about finding a comparable system or making mine work in Fantasy Grounds. Bu thank you, Generic. And thank you Griogre!

Races: Only human players.

Classes: No classes, purchase things at level up.

Alignment: None.

Ability Scores: 3 - 18, point buy gives you 75 put them where you want.

Saves: None, just rolls against one of your ability scores with modifiers.

Accuracy: All start at same thac0. Bonus based on ability score of your choice, not always strength. Can improve at level up.

Health: 8 hp at start, +4 options at level up, minor resting heals to full.

Armor: Only four categories, heavier armor gives less movement and carrying capacity. No proficiencies, any armor can be switched at any time.

Encumbrance: Isn't followed, just has to stay within reason to armor worn.

Initiative: 1d10 + dex score each round, order goes highest to lowest with enemies landing in between yours.

Weapons: No single proficiencies, you learn schools that use broad strokes (Pole school handles wizard staffs, spears and large halberds.) S / P / B modifers aren't in effect. Infinite ammo within reason. Virtually no dual wielding.

Called Shots: None but each weapon type has tricks they can unlock, can sometimes be used cross-school once you know them.

Proficiencies: Have 1 - 4 ranks of growing strength. Like Lone Wolf, I won't even roll half the time..."if anyone knows Search II, turn to page 47."

Spells: Purchase like skills. Short design-your-own tree to make basic custom powers, whether they're magical or not. Strength based on character level so they grow with you.

Penalties: permanent disadvantages to gain more level up purchases.

Sockets: Weps and armor can be socketed with an enchantment. These can be powered up by fulfilling criteria/quests. Party has chance to destroy item to keep enchantment or vice versa.

And of course the visuals are Jim Henson style, also to appeal more to the ladies, but that seems to call out for a simple dumbed down ruleset whether it's rational or not.

I do have to grudgingly admit that while I tried to give them some sample templates I know would work well in the world, but didn't follow conventional classes, they ran for the hills and made things like fighter and thief. And these are the guys I'm talking about! I really thought they'd jump at the chance to try out something new. C'est la vie.

Griogre
April 14th, 2011, 04:22
Glad you found the Generic ruleset useful. I did think of this old simple system from Flying Buffalo - Tunnels and Trolls. You might want to mine it for ideas. There is a free download here at RPGNow: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=54407

MeganHunter
April 21st, 2011, 20:41
Here's a shot of what I've altered on my Generic sheets.

https://69.175.61.98/~meganhun/othersites/CharSheet.jpg

StuartW
April 21st, 2011, 21:17
Wow! That's gob-smacking!

Stuart

Dr0W
June 6th, 2011, 23:39
Hey guys, I've just noticed this topic.

There is a brazilian RPG system you probably do not know, it is designed for newbies on RPG. It's so simple that when I was a kid we used to play it anytime and anywhere because we knew the rules by heart. All you need is a d6 and a pen & paper.

It's name is 3d&t wich means "Tokyo Defenders third edition". It's a non-realistic rpg for anime-like games, it was at first intend to be a "Toon" supplement. But it became so widespread and we had lots of adaptations like "Street Fighter" or "Mortal Kombat" "Megaman", yes I played a Megaman pen & paper RPG. :P

Let me explain it briefly from what I can remember:

The character sheed is composed of 5 atributes, advantages and disvantages. You create a character using 12 character points (or even more or less, depending on the campaign and the GM).

Atributes
Strength (Self explanatory, what you use do deal melee damage)
Skill (It's your intelligence and your dexterity, you use it to hit enemies)
Constitution (You get 5 hitpoints per constitution point, self explanatory too)
Armour (It's what you roll when you get hit to reduce the damage received)
Firepower (It's what you use to deal ranged damage.)

Advantages
Here you buy advantages that tweak your character, skill included. Examples:
Special Attack (1 point), you can make a special attack, reduce your Skill in 1 for this attack but add +2 to the damage.
Ally (1 point) you have an ally
Computers Skill (1 point) you know how to use computers (whatever envolving computers)

Disadvantages
Same as above, but you get points. There is a -4 max limit rule.
Enemy (-1), you get an enemy
Devotion (-1), you have to obey your god's will
Vulnerability (-1 per vulnerability), specify a damage type, you get maximum damage from that kind of source.

Rules
The atributes range from 0-5, you make an atribute check roling a single d6. If it's the same value or less than your atribute, it's a sucess. A natural 1 is always a success, a natural 6 is always a failure. For each point in Constitution, you get 5 hitpoints.

Combat:
Roll for "Skill", if you succeed, you hit your target.
Roll 1d6 for each point in Strength or Firepower (depending on what you used), that's the damage.
The target rolls 1d6 for each point in Armour it has, reduce this from the damage. You always do at least 1pt of damage if you hit.

Experience points:
You get 1~5 XP per adventure, you trade 10 points for a character point.
And, THAT's IT.

It became popular so they started adding things to the system, it became 4d&t, complicated and full of rules. People hated that.

Today there is a "enhanced" version (3d&t Alpha) with extra features, like magic, mana but it's still a simple System designed for new players. You can download and play it for free here. (https://www.jamboeditora.com.br/produtos/3d&t.htm)
This is the new character sheet. (https://www.jamboeditora.com.br/comunidade/downloads/3d&t-ficha.pdf)
And this is the rulebook (https://www.jamboeditora.com.br/comunidade/downloads/3d&t.zip), not so simple as I used to play it (it was a 20 page magazine), but still pretty simple.

Who knows, just who knows if someone could pull this system out on FG2 someday.