PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test

mfitzi
March 31st, 2011, 00:39
Hello, I bought 1 Full and 2 Lite. I have one Lite on another computer in our house connected through our home network. I have been trying to get my friend (not local) who I bought the other lite for to connect through the game server so the 3 of us can play.
I just did a fresh install of Win 7 and just installed FG2. First run, I was able to test the connection and after forwarding the port, I was able to get a successful connection to the test server. However, when I then tried to get the (local) lite version to connect through FG's server with or without the alias, it can't connect. Now when I try to test the connection I get a failure.
The local lite version is able to connect through the network with our internal address.
Will my friend who is NOT local be able to connect through FG's server and the other local lite be able to connect with the internal, and still play together?
Please help?

Thanks!

Griogre
March 31st, 2011, 05:37
Cutting to the chase, yes you can play usually play with a local and not local player. The local player on your network should connect via your internal IP address instead of through an alias.

However it sounds like you have another problem. If your connection test fails the external player won't be able to connect. Did you make your internal IP static? Each computer on your local should have a separate local IP address. It is also possible you only have one local address and the two local computers keep "stealing" it from each other which would likely confuse the router. You should double check you have at least dozen or so IP address available.

mfitzi
March 31st, 2011, 06:35
Thanks for the reply. I noticed that if I took windows firewall off I was then able to test (although I had previously given permissions in it). When I turned it back on, I was able to test again and so far it is sticking... I will test an external connection tomorrow. My router settings are good. Thanks again!