PDA

View Full Version : Portraits can't be viewed by the DM? (Using 3.5e)

Porrage
March 29th, 2011, 04:54
So I was trying to apply a portrait to an NPC I had made, but I was unable to find any way to fill that blank "?" mark that's next to each one of my NPCs. My players informed me that the Portrait button can be found at the top right of the screen, and it looks like the single outline of a person (I only have an outline of a group of people, which is character selection). Are DMs just unable to view portraits?

Any thoughts? (screenshot of my client can be seen here https://i.imgur.com/vwesy.jpg )

Thanks.

phantomwhale
March 29th, 2011, 05:15
Two concepts here - portraits and tokens.

Portraits are images stored in the "/portraits" folder, and only accessible locally by players, using the PICs button. When a player joins a campaign, he can use one of this images for his portrait.

Tokens are images stored in the "/campaigns/-name-of-campaign-/tokens" folder, and accessible only by the GM, using the tokens tool. These can be preassigned to NPCs, or assigned to combat tracker entries at a later stage. Auto-created tokens, based off a player's portrait, can be created by dragging from the portrait in the top-left.

So what your seeing is correct - and that "?" is looking for a token, not a portrait.

Hope that helps,
-PW-

Griogre
March 29th, 2011, 05:28
[Edited to fix confusing typo] DM's don't use portraits unless they make PCs. NPCs use tokens. Click the token box on the right, second from the bottom and drag and drop a token on the empty circle. Personally I rarely bother to fill in those buttons on the personality list, in 4E I just do the encounters list but its the same and if you do do them on the personality list when you drop them into an encounter the tokens will come too.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/TokenScreen.png

Porrage
March 29th, 2011, 05:34
Excellent! Problem solved.

Thanks for the help, fellas =D

wbcreighton
March 29th, 2011, 19:52
DM's don't use tokens unless they make PCs.

I think you meant portraits ( not tokens ).

Griogre
March 31st, 2011, 05:29
Exactly, sorry for any confusion. I edit the original post to avoid any confusion if someone looks at the thread again.