PDA

View Full Version : Parsing Treasure

Fot5
March 24th, 2011, 22:27
Could someone give me an example of treasure data that will parse? The parser documentation lists the following. I have been able to create a treasure parcel, create a link to it in my story file, and populate the name, level, and coin lines of the parcel. However, I cannot get the {Type} or {recordname} fields to work. What I need is an explanation of what data goes into those entries in the treasure data file and how I identify that information (say, in the db.xml file).

Also, if there is a way to pull treasure data from a different module (e.g., the Adventurer's Vault module), I'd appreciate an explanation of how to do that. Currently, I have all of my treasure in the magic items data file for the module in question, but if characters drop that item onto their inventory sheet, they cannot access it unless I keep that module open (and I have a separate module for each adventure, so I close modules that I'm not using).

Treasure Parcels:
-Output:
Data is displayed in the right hand Parcel icon (Extension required)
-Input:

ZTreasure
Name;[text]
Level;[level]
Coin;[name];[number]
Item;[Number];[Display];{Type};{recordname}

-Notes:
Requires an extension to use
Recordnames should be fully qualified for example: item.cloakoffearlessrescue_009@Magic Items

Fot5
March 28th, 2011, 19:23
Is there nobody out there using this feature?

Zeus
March 28th, 2011, 20:26
I have had similar problems, although I cannot even get coins to parse. I haven't heard from Tenian in months and can't seem to raise him at the moment. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

I have therefore resorted to creating my parcels from within FGII and storing them (for the time being) in the Campaign database.

I actually find drag/dropping existing Items into a Parcel a little more straightforward than parsing Parcels as I don't have to worry about knowing the exact reference name of the items I want to link. I just open the module with the item and drag it onto the Items list in the Parcel. Much easier. ;)

And yes, cross module linking does work. The recordname@ syntax allows you to include a modestring so you can reference other module data if your parsing the parcel. From within FGII (and as above) just drag/drop from your open module.

Also, if the source modules that contain your magic items are Client modules, there is no need for the GM to have the module open, just the players.

Fot5
March 29th, 2011, 22:30
OK. I figured this out through trial and error.

Here are two story data entries that create parcel links in the FG story elements generated by the 4e Parser:

ZLINK parcel;ambush;<p><b>Ambush Parcel</b></p>
ZLINK parcel;approach;<p><b>Approach Parcel</b></p>

Those two entries link to the following two treasure parcel data entries.

ZTreasure
Name;Ambush
Level;1
Coin;10;GP
Item;1;Alchemist's Fire and Formulary;reference_ritual;ritualdescavault.alchem istsfire@Adventurer's Vault
Item;1;Tanglefoot Bag;reference_ritual;ritualdescavault.tanglefootba g@Adventurer's Vault

ZTreasure
Name;Approach
Level;1
Coin;180;GP
Item;1;Alchemist's Frost and Formulary;reference_ritual;ritualdescavault.alchem istsfrost@Adventurer's Vault
Item;1;Healing Potion;referencemagicitem;magicitemdesc.potionofhe aling_005@4E Players Handbook

To determine the {Type} and {Record} entries for these two parcels, I opened the data base for the module (in my case the client.xml file) where the item is located and did a search for a keyword in the name of the item. Then, I found the entry in the data base file that had a <class> and <recordname> entry on adjacent lines. The <class> value gets entered in the treasure parcel data as the item's {Type} and the <recordname> value gets entered in the treasure parcel data as the item's {Record}.

<alchemistsfire>
<link type="windowreference">
<class>reference_ritual</class>
<recordname>ritualdescavault.alchemistsfire@Adventurer's Vault</recordname>
</link>
<name type="string">Alchemist’s Fire</name>
</alchemistsfire>
<alchemistsfrost>

Once you've parsed the module's data, you have to make sure that the modules that contain the items are open in the library for the parcel link to work.

Zeus
March 29th, 2011, 22:40
Oh cool, well done Fot5 for figuring it out. So the coin number and type fields are reversed, got it.

One alternative method for determining the recordname, if you open the config of the module in the Parser you can Parse the individual items by right clicking the node (e.g. Magic Items) and selecting Parse.

This will open a small XML Browser with a tree containing all the XML elements for the data. You can browse through the content and then open the desired one to see its recordname field. From there you can take down the reference to use in your Parcel.

I tend to use this approach when debugging module content thats not parsing properly, but the method works equally well for determining recordname details.

DNH
June 16th, 2011, 16:58
I would like to be able to parse gems and art objects into these treasure parcels - is that possible? For instance, my treasure usually turns out something like this

590gp
A grey-black hematite, worth 100gp
A dark green, transparent alexandrite gem, worth 100gp
A transparent amber stone, worth 100gp
A braided chain of interwoven silver and gold, worth 250gp
A fox fur traveling cloak with ermine fur trim, worth 250gp
Waist: Belt of Recovery (Level 7, AV1)
Now, I can code the coins and the items to work through the parser but how do I handle the gems and art objects?

I tried something like

Coin;1;A transparent, golden yellow topaz, worth 100gp
but that doesn't work.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Zeus
June 16th, 2011, 17:26
As precious stones or gems are not handled as individual objects in the current implementation of the 4E ruleset, at present the only real way is to create the entries for Parcels is to treat them as Items.

Not ideal but it should work.

Now that 2.8 is getting closer to release and my work on enhanced encounter and image support is complete, I'm planning to re-focus my attention back to
Parcels and some of my other extensions.

Some one else has recently requested greater note support in Parcels so I may also take the opportunity to look at introducing a new Gem object type. I'll keep you posted.